Father Brown (The Detective) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Father Brown (The Detective) Reviews

January 21, 2013
Alec Guiness is always a treat to watch and this is no exception. Peter Finch is a bit odd as Flambeau and Joan Greenwood can melt the polar icecaps with that voice. Very true to the Chesterton stories and a lot of fun to watch.
January 15, 2013
good mystery suspencer
September 21, 2012
Guinness is the show in this rather self-conscious adaptation.
March 11, 2012
Juntar um dos melhores actores e um dos melhores escritores não garante um filme superlativo, mas ainda assim (C) tocante e divertido.
March 8, 2012
Underfilmed Sleuth!!
May 22, 2011
An enjoyable detective story that has an interesting character at the center of it. At first I wasn't impressed by Alec Guinness as Father Brown, but he grew on me and by the end of the film I thought he was very well-cast. I admit I haven't read Chesterton's original stories, and while this doesn't inspire me to read all of them, I'm mildly interested in checking one or two out to see how well the film fits.
½ June 2, 2010
Alec Guinness is excellent as Father Brown, a priest who also works as a part-time detective. He is perfectly cast. The supporting cast is fine. Great story, well written and Robert Hamer capably directs. Amusing and a good mystery as well. Another great Guinness comedy from the early 1950?s.
½ June 2, 2010
73/100. Alec Guinness is excellent as Father Brown, a priest who also works as a part-time detective. He is perfectly cast. The supporting cast is fine. Great story, well written and Robert Hamer capably directs. Amusing and a good mystery as well. Another great Guinness comedy from the early 1950's.
April 23, 2010
Charming British comedy with a perfect comedic performance by Alec Guinness and a couple of great character actors including Bernard Lee and Peter Finch. Ernest Thesiger also makes a brief but very funny appearance as an aged fellow assisting Father Brown in locating a document very high up on a shelf. There are some first-rate, clever set pieces in the movie. Highly enjoyable.
April 16, 2010
I'm surprised I forgot to add this to my favorites list. This was a fun movie to watch, even if I am an atheist these days.
July 16, 2008
nominated for best foreign film by NBR
March 28, 2008
This film is eminently Catholic in spirit. The detective, a priest, is hunting a thief but so much wants him to redeem himself that he is willing to let him go in order to do it. That does it for me. This movie has the sterling quality of displaying a love that is willing to go to absurd extremes in detatchment and self sacrifice. When a film can do that convincingly it is bound to be a winner. Compare this film to Hitchcock's I confess: both present priests willing to make big scrifices in order to save souls.
March 4, 2008
I adore Alec Guiness, and in this film, he gets to spout all sorts of witty remarks in that nicely flowing diction.