A Doll's House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Doll's House Reviews

February 9, 2016
This makes the play seem like a masterpiece. I've had to see this movie for a few classes now and I can't help but feel that it's a very overdone and dull version of the play which actually encompassed some big ideas. I'd recommend skipping out on this movie and just reading the play instead.
½ January 9, 2014
A first-rate adaptation of Henrik Ibsen's classic tale of a woman trapped in a man's world.
½ July 8, 2013
the most wonderful miracle..
½ April 18, 2013
I recently saw A Doll's House, directed by Patrick Garland, and I highly recommend it. This movie will leave you heart-broken and begging for more.
A Doll's House has many excellent actors and actresses in it. Claire Bloom plays Nora Helmer, who is the main character. Claire does a fabulous job acting and playing a believable part. Her heart and passion truly went into her acting during this movie. Anthony Hopkins who plays Torvald, Nora's husband, also does a terrific job. He plays his role just as convincingly as Claire does. Anthony's passion for acting is apparent. A movie is only as good as its actors and A Doll's House certainly accomplishes this.
Nora and Torvald are a loving married couple who always seem to get along. Although Torvald does seem to be a bit controlling, Nora doesn't seem to mind. In fact, she is happier than she has ever been, or so she says. Two unexpected visitors arrive at the Helmer home one night at Christmastime and Nora is faced with her past. These returning problems have left Nora desperate and seeking a way out.
In addition to the fantastic actors, the supporting crew also did an great job in the filming of the movie. The lighting was spot on, the costumes were perfect, and the props and scenery only added to the movie.
A Doll's House is a suspenseful movie that will bring you to tears and leave you on the edge of your seat. Overall, this is a great movie and I would highly recommend seeing it on date night or with your friends. This movie is a timeless classic and will never get old.
December 5, 2012
What a waste of time & the ending ? huh...
½ April 3, 2012
i love this play so so much.
thats right Nora, you walk out on that asshole Torvald.
macaroons my ass.
December 3, 2011
Watching this movie for class.
September 22, 2011
Fairly accurate depiction of the play. Not bad.
August 26, 2011
ok for a 70's movie. actually quite progressive dialogues for that time i think
½ August 19, 2011
it seemed rushed...just like Torvold told Nora when dancing, "Slow down" Then the botta bing botta boom, drop of a hat/letter, changes everything in an instant! A little more reasoning of the characters may have lent more intrigue and empathy to each one. ON THE OTHER HAND....I'd watch Anthony Hopkins, read the newspaper.
½ April 22, 2011
Those who love the play will love this film adaption. Those who have no knowledge of the play, maybe not as much.
January 22, 2011
I thought this version was pretty true to the play. They left out some scenes but they were rather boring and unnecessary. I disagree with some of the other reviews here that the ending wasn't as significant as in the play. I think the icy emotion and resolve were well done.
September 30, 2009
A Doll's House is based on a play. I was required to watch this as part of my women in the world class. Though the film takes place almost all in the house it has smart dialogue and it is an important play. The idea of a woman leaving a man like that during the time the play came out was highly controversial. It kept with the old style. The acting is really well done and without the film would have been a lot worse. Overall, I had no real expectations because I never heard of the movie but it definitely is good.
½ August 13, 2009
movie was done fairly decently....but i would much rather suggest you either read the play by henrik ibsen, or you find it at some local production company....its properly done, however it doesn't catch the same appeal...some scenes were too light, some to heavy....but the underling story was one that i would favorably upon....not a highly recommended film
½ July 1, 2009
i love this play so so much.
thats right Nora, you walk out on that asshole Torvald.
macaroons my ass.
½ July 1, 2009
Starts off so peacefully but the powerful emotion of the movie creeps up on you before your realize it. Really good.
½ June 14, 2009
A wonderful screen adaptation of Henrick Ibsen's play -starring Anthony Hopkins and Claire Bloom.(1973). The rigidity and oppression of Victorian era marriage is superbly demonstrated by the relationship between Torvald and Nora. When a crisis occurs, it sets in motion a chain of events that must culminate in the dissolution of the relationship,as well as the destruction of the roles,illusions and delusions that kept them together for several years.

Although Bloom is quite successful in the role-I could'nt help but be bothered by her "looking" too old for the role of the child-like Nora.maybe she was cast for just that reason??? A masterpiece in human relations-great dialogue and Hopkins is,as usual stellar.
March 26, 2009
what dfo u think about it?
January 25, 2009
This is some good acting right here. Claire Bloom is absolutely splendid as Nora, and Anthony Hopkins creates a brilliant contrasting character. The dialogue of Ibsen's play allows them to explore these characters deeply and honestly. Simply a superb version of the classic play, and definitely one to see.