Dolls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dolls Reviews

January 13, 2017
Dolls is I feel a somewhat overlooked campy horror flick from the 80's that Chucky capitalized commercially and did better wth more budget and support. But dolls, had really cool effects for its time and cost, and it was short enough to leave the fun in it.
½ January 12, 2017
This follows along with a lot of horror tropes, from the annoying kids seeking refuge at a potentially dangerous location, to the old dark house itself and the creepy-ass dolls contained therein, but dammit, it's a lot of fun.

Very pleased to have finally gotten around to crossing this one off the list.

Well worth a look.
September 13, 2016
This was a really effective chiller. Nicely intermingles the right amounts of both comedy and magic to create an eerie and surreal atmosphere all of its own, quite the same way as the first 'Phantasm' film does, if that makes any sense. Great ending, too.
½ September 6, 2016
I rather wanted to give it 4, with its campily despicable characters and gorgeous house and damp and mysterious atmosphere....but even if its lovingly made, and as much as i can appreciate the funny of it all, there's too much that's played for laugh, to the point where it interferes with the central intent, which is the ghostly creepiness of old dolls. It should have dared to be a bit heavier; after its kind of a slasher so it should drop all pretense of family friendly. buts Its still very enjoyable
September 1, 2016
Quizás una de esos clásicos de culto dentro del género y especialmente en esa subcategoría tan explotada como son los muñecos diabólicos. Y lo cierto es que es una de las más gratificantes a pesar de no contar con muertes excesivamente grotescas, pero la idea detrás de todo (el porqué, el cómo...) es bastante destacable.

Gana puntos además gracias a las adorables actuaciones de Carrie Lorraine y el recientemente fallecido Stephen Lee.

Sin duda un "must see" para los amantes del terror.

SEGUNDA CRÍTICA:

Si he de ser completamente sincero, me resulta difícil calificar Dolls como una película de terror. Ciertamente su encanto y mensaje moral se acerca más al de una fábula (sí, este tipo de historias solían ser tan o incluso más "creepy").

Y la ver que este descubrimiento en mis revisionados de este clásico de culto ha hecho posible que le coja un cariño especial a la cinta y le perdona sus carencias.

Tanto es así que ya no sabría qué decir negativo sobre ella.

Sin duda una cinta de culto ochentero digna de más de un visionado.
½ May 17, 2016
Classic horror. Horror movies are not made like this anymore. All the current horror B-movies are such trash; they have no character. However, Dolls has character and flavor. It is stupid, but in a good way. This is wonderful horror entertainment!
April 13, 2016
When I watched this movie, I wasn't exactly expecting what I ended up seeing. It's really creepy, but I wouldn't say it's scary. It's really cheesy, the acting kinda sucks, but at the same time, it's really entertaining and it will keep you interested until the end of it. The stop-animation is fantastic, and the special effects are great. The step-mother and the father are made out to be real butt-holes, and it works. When the mother blabbed, I felt like I wanted to spit at the screen. It's not the kind of movie where you should expect to be scared, but at the same time it's pretty creepy enough to be deemed a horror movie. The part when the dolls are like breaking apart and you can see a rotted out skeleton underneath their skin is insane..It's not the best movie I've seen, but in it's own unique way, it's really awesome.I'm not really good at explaining it, you have to watch it for yourself. So go check it out
April 13, 2016
As if you could picture a fairy tale.
February 5, 2016
i liked it not overly spooky, nor gore just fun
November 19, 2015
Great 80's horror movie. I love the old couple and the dolls are so great. It may not have the best acting and it's a little dated but that's what makes it so fun. I love this movie.
½ October 25, 2015
This was an enjoyable b-movie from Empire Pictures.
The little girl was actually tolerable and the effects for the dolls were pretty good for 1987.
What I don't get is why are all these people using this road that they get stuck on when it looks like it really only leads to this house?
May 29, 2015
One of the first horror movies I ever saw growing up. This was obviously the prototype for the Puppet Master films that followed. Super cheesy, but a fun little horror fantasy tale. That bear scared the shit out of me as a kid. lol
April 15, 2015
So hard to watch that I had to break it up 3 times to finish it. The scenario was silly and deaths sucked. Not even bad in a good way.
April 15, 2015
It has an interesting theme, cool F/X, and surprising scares, but Dolls is pretty predictable. 56/100
February 1, 2015
really good, but kinda short
½ January 24, 2015
A classic horror movie from the 80s, it seems not many people know about this movie. Mr. Punch along with the other dolls were creepy as hell! I like this movie a lot! It's not a gorefest like other horror movies but it's very satisfying. The acting was good enough and the dolls stole the show.
December 20, 2014
Stuart Gordon's Dolls is a huge departure for the filmmaker. A cheesy horror B-movie with a surprisingly clever script, more than a few laughs, and creepy moments. The silly concept (killer dolls!) manages to work because the special effects are so solid. The special effects with the dolls adds quite a bit to the believability and overall creepiness of the story. They are not done with CG, and even composite shots are kept to a bare minimum. The majority of scenes are done with precise and well shot stop motion. The few death scenes, while not being hardly at all bloody, are still fun. Dolls is a spooky haunted house film, more in the vein of a Hammer flick or one of Corman's Poe productions, and that's one of this underrated little flick's strengths. A serious-minded, lovingly-crafted modern fairy tale that only misses classic status by a few clumsy, low-budget moments. Dolls is a silly film, with impressive special effects for its budget that make up for the generally low standard of acting. It's also got a charming little musical score by the fantastically named Fuzzbee Morse. All in all, though, Dolls is an immensely enjoyable piece of 80s goodness and a great entry to the killer doll canon of films.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
November 6, 2014
'Dolls' is a familiar, but slightly better than average "possessed doll" chiller, thanks largely in part to Stuart Gordon's able (and haunting) direction.