Dolls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dolls Reviews

½ May 17, 2016
Classic horror. Horror movies are not made like this anymore. All the current horror B-movies are such trash; they have no character. However, Dolls has character and flavor. It is stupid, but in a good way. This is wonderful horror entertainment!
April 13, 2016
When I watched this movie, I wasn't exactly expecting what I ended up seeing. It's really creepy, but I wouldn't say it's scary. It's really cheesy, the acting kinda sucks, but at the same time, it's really entertaining and it will keep you interested until the end of it. The stop-animation is fantastic, and the special effects are great. The step-mother and the father are made out to be real butt-holes, and it works. When the mother blabbed, I felt like I wanted to spit at the screen. It's not the kind of movie where you should expect to be scared, but at the same time it's pretty creepy enough to be deemed a horror movie. The part when the dolls are like breaking apart and you can see a rotted out skeleton underneath their skin is insane..It's not the best movie I've seen, but in it's own unique way, it's really awesome.I'm not really good at explaining it, you have to watch it for yourself. So go check it out
April 13, 2016
As if you could picture a fairy tale.
February 5, 2016
i liked it not overly spooky, nor gore just fun
November 19, 2015
Great 80's horror movie. I love the old couple and the dolls are so great. It may not have the best acting and it's a little dated but that's what makes it so fun. I love this movie.
½ October 25, 2015
This was an enjoyable b-movie from Empire Pictures.
The little girl was actually tolerable and the effects for the dolls were pretty good for 1987.
What I don't get is why are all these people using this road that they get stuck on when it looks like it really only leads to this house?
May 29, 2015
One of the first horror movies I ever saw growing up. This was obviously the prototype for the Puppet Master films that followed. Super cheesy, but a fun little horror fantasy tale. That bear scared the shit out of me as a kid. lol
May 8, 2015
Quizás una de esos clásicos de culto dentro del género y especialmente en esa subcategoría tan explotada como son los muñecos diabólicos. Y lo cierto es que es una de las más gratificantes a pesar de no contar con muertes excesivamente grotescas, pero la idea detrás de todo (el porqué, el cómo...) es bastante destacable.

Gana puntos además gracias a las adorables actuaciones de Carrie Lorraine y el recientemente fallecido Stephen Lee.

Sin duda un "must see" para los amantes del terror.
April 15, 2015
So hard to watch that I had to break it up 3 times to finish it. The scenario was silly and deaths sucked. Not even bad in a good way.
April 15, 2015
It has an interesting theme, cool F/X, and surprising scares, but Dolls is pretty predictable. 56/100
February 1, 2015
really good, but kinda short
½ January 24, 2015
A classic horror movie from the 80s, it seems not many people know about this movie. Mr. Punch along with the other dolls were creepy as hell! I like this movie a lot! It's not a gorefest like other horror movies but it's very satisfying. The acting was good enough and the dolls stole the show.
December 20, 2014
Stuart Gordon's Dolls is a huge departure for the filmmaker. A cheesy horror B-movie with a surprisingly clever script, more than a few laughs, and creepy moments. The silly concept (killer dolls!) manages to work because the special effects are so solid. The special effects with the dolls adds quite a bit to the believability and overall creepiness of the story. They are not done with CG, and even composite shots are kept to a bare minimum. The majority of scenes are done with precise and well shot stop motion. The few death scenes, while not being hardly at all bloody, are still fun. Dolls is a spooky haunted house film, more in the vein of a Hammer flick or one of Corman's Poe productions, and that's one of this underrated little flick's strengths. A serious-minded, lovingly-crafted modern fairy tale that only misses classic status by a few clumsy, low-budget moments. Dolls is a silly film, with impressive special effects for its budget that make up for the generally low standard of acting. It's also got a charming little musical score by the fantastically named Fuzzbee Morse. All in all, though, Dolls is an immensely enjoyable piece of 80s goodness and a great entry to the killer doll canon of films.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
November 6, 2014
'Dolls' is a familiar, but slightly better than average "possessed doll" chiller, thanks largely in part to Stuart Gordon's able (and haunting) direction.
½ November 2, 2014
So hard to watch that I had to break it up 3 times to finish it. The senario was silly and deaths sucked. Not even bad in a good way.
October 13, 2014
Gordon and Yuzna create a horrible atmosphere with amazing doll effects. The story and acting is weak quite often, but if you're watching an older movie about killer dolls in an old house on a dark and stormy night... Well what were you expecting?
October 12, 2014
Dolls is a movie that was directed by Stuart Gordon and features Guy Rolfe, long before he was Toulon in the Puppet Master series. It tells the story of two groups of people who come upon an old house on a stormy night after their cars break down. They discover that the house is inhabited by an old couple whose passion is toymaking, specifically, dolls and stuffed animals. During the night, these people start being attacked and we learn that these toymakers have secret powers. The movie itself, as a whole, I would say isn't as creepy or as effective as it should be. The characters are mostly antagonistic for no reason most of the time, which I find annoying in horror movies, and the story doesn't play out as well as it should. That being said, there were some creepy moments in there and the special effects work done with the dolls is pretty great. It's a somewhat fun and interesting movie, but I don't see myself watching it over and over again in the near future.
July 15, 2014
its a cool and creepy movie i like mr.punch