How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How the Grinch Stole Christmas Reviews

August 28, 2016
My favorite as a kid
½ August 27, 2016
Those rare Christmas movies where it's timeless no matter when what year it is. This is the definition of this movie.
Instantly recognizable characters,story,design,moments,etc. I personally watch this whenever I feel down and it always cheer me up,even if I watch it more than once in one sitting.
August 23, 2016
The best christmas movie ever! A classic movie with great music and humor!
½ July 23, 2016
A true Christmas classic! It wouldn't be Christmas without it.!
July 22, 2016
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966) C-26m. ??? 1/2 D: Chuck Jones, Ben Washam. Voice of Boris Karloff. Lovely screen adaption of Dr. Seuss' classic children's story about a grumpy old Grinch who plans to steal Christmas from the Whos of Whoville but is won over by their happiness. Gentle, sweet, and funny. A most enjoyable and irresistible animated feature. Loose finale only flaw. Memorable narration by Karloff and music by Albert Hague.
½ June 24, 2016
How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a holiday classic that just radiates timelessness, justifiably turning the titular Grinch into one of Suess' most recognizable characters and one of the holiday's most iconic figures.
March 12, 2016
This is a classic that tells the story the way its meant to be told.
February 21, 2016
A half hour of Christmas goodness. So this is about an outcast that lives on the outskirts of Whoville. He disdains all of the town's residents, especially during Christmas, so he devises a plan to take away their precious holiday. The timing of this review could have probably been better, but when you're playing catch up, you're playing catch up. Rest assured, I did not watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas in middle of February like some kind of weirdo, I watched it around the Christmas holiday like a normal person. I'm merely finally finding the time to go back and review this holiday classic. Now from the majority of times that I have seen, Dr. Seuss doesn't typically translate well into film, especially with the most recent adaptations. What I am referring to specifically is trying to make these treasured short stories into feature length films. It is incredibly difficult to convert a story that takes roughly 5 minutes to read and admire the artwork on, turn around and make a 90-minute feature with. In fact, the only time I've seen it done masterfully is when they brilliantly executed Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, a non-Seuss story. While they certainly made the effort with 2008's Horton Hears a Who, and with 2012's The Lorax, there just ended up being such an excess amount of padding that the products rendered themselves toothless. With How the Grinch Stole Christmas, it does everything that it needs to do, and in only 25 minutes at that. This is a short that has truly stood the test of time, and it is so high quality that all adults want to pass it down to their children and grandchildren alike. It's really what Christmas is all about, and it puts you in the Christmas spirit like no other. The recurring song is awesome in a James Earl Jones kind of way, and it will stay in your brain for the remainder of your life. I also don't think there is anybody out there better suited to narrate this story than the talented Boris Karloff. This is something that I am always in the mood to watch every holiday season, and I wouldn't be surprised if you expressed to me the same exact sentiment.
February 12, 2016
A good kids movie I saw this movie when I was a kid I think it was ok. Kids will like this movie I bet!
December 29, 2015
Of all of Dr. Seuss' stories, this is the most direct and faithful conversion from book to movie. It is a thoroughly enjoyable heartwarming Christmas classic. Chuck Jones' animation is not quite as playful or imaginative as the Dr. Seuss illustrations, but they are very much in the same spirit. The animation adds a little more detail and structure, which are necessary for this medium. It still maintains the right softness and feel. The music is a perfect addition and a skillful way to extend the length without forcing new elements into it. In terms of the story, it is a tried and true classic appealing to viewers of all ages. It is brief at only 26 minutes, but it accomplishes everything it needs to and is every bit as enjoyable as any full-length feature. It captures the good-willed spirit of Christmas and has a timeless appeal.
December 27, 2015
An amazing and wonderful Cartoon. Boris Karloff's voice is perfect for The Narrator and The Grinch. A true classic everyone should watch.
December 26, 2015
My all time favourite Christmas show. A true classic.
December 26, 2015
Better than the new one by 100%
December 24, 2015
Perfect adaptation of the book!
December 23, 2015
151223: As my memory goes, this is basically the Christmas film of all Christmas films. It's a must see each year.
EpicLadySponge
December 18, 2015
The best (If not, then what is?) Christmas special around and it's a yearly TV special as well.
November 27, 2015
Classic holiday special. I watch it every year.
November 27, 2015
I watch this every year, it fun and great.
October 26, 2015
Another classic that I looked forward to watching on tv every year.
August 12, 2015
A paramount Christmas icon.