How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How the Grinch Stole Christmas Reviews

January 25, 2017
Who could hate this movie? Unlikely the tomato meter is 100% for no reason ??
December 30, 2016
"You're a Mean One Mister Grinch"
For Christmas, I wanted to review a Christmas movie. There were many I could choose from ranging from classics like It's a Wonderful Life to comedies like Elf to specials like A Charlie Brown Christmas to those movies that just happen to take place during Christmas like Die Hard. However, I decided to review possibly my favorite Christmas special of all-time which is also one of the best of all-time: the classic animated special Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The story, for the extreme few of you that do not know it, tells how the Grinch who, after years of suffering from the extremely annoying happiness of Christmas from the Whos of Whoville, decides to ruin their Christmas by, with the help of his berated dog Max, stealing anything Christmas related from their town and destroying it. This animated Christmas special is possibly one of the best Christmas-related entertainments I have ever seen. It is a near perfect animated feature despite only being a half hour long and being made for television. This special has some amazing animation. The landscapes and the attention to detail to the Christmas decorations are all beautiful and cinematic. Similarly, in addition to the comedic actions of the characters, the emotions and feelings of the characters are expressed efficiently in cartoony fashions, like the infamous "wonderful, awful idea" Grinch smile. Similarly, the slapstick and situations that the characters go through are represented hilariously through the animation. This attention to character emotion, detail, and slapstick is expected when one of the great Looney Tunes animators Chuck Jones was the director. In addition to the great director and animation, the special has interesting and engaging characters. The Grinch is one of the great Christmas characters of all-time. He is animated with funny expressions. The audience is able to connect with him despite technically being a villain because we understand his annoyance, are impressed by his creativity and dedication, and delight in the wickedness of his actions. The great Boris Karloff lends his voice to the Grinch as well as the narrator. His voice has a combination of intimidation and evil as the Grinch and a commanding intelligence and kindness as the narrator. Thus, the viewer wants to listen to him despite which character he is voicing. Similarly, the silent character of Max the dog is equally funny in his slapstick and exaggerated expressions and sympathetic in his loyalty to the Grinch. The story of the special is also memorable and engaging. It is nearly word for word from the book. However, it builds upon the book with silent moments that are not in the book but are still in the same spirit of the book. These silent montages and scenes have funny slapstick and display the Grinch's dedication and complexity of his plan. This adherence to the book and the addition of other scenes make the special have nearly perfect pacing. Also, the book's story and pacing are added to by the addition of numerous memorable songs. The Who's songs are able to convey their views on Christmas in a catchy tune. However, the song that steals the special is "You're a Mean One, Mister Grinch." Sung by Tony the Tiger himself Thurl Ravenscroft, the song encapsulates the wickedness of the Grinch and his actions in a creative and dark yet goofy and humorous fashion. The lyrics of the song are incredibly imaginative with strange combinations and comparisons that only the mind of Dr. Seuss could envision. It is a testimony to the greatness of the song when it is played three times throughout the special, yet it is never repetitive or boring. This lack of repetitiveness is also thanks to the hilarious and creative montages that are seen while the song is heard. The message of the special is unique and still pertinent to the Christmas season today. Summed up in the final lines of the narrator, the special delivers the message that how the commercialism and materialism of Christmas can distract from the happiness of Christmas from the joy and togetherness of people. While the message may have been in other Christmas specials or movies, I believe it has not been conveyed as simply or as efficiently as this special does. It is impressive that this animated special from the 1960s is able to hold up to modern animated films and specials. This feat is accomplished through its incredible story, characters, animation, voice acting, songs, and humor. I would definitely recommend Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas animated special to everyone this Christmas season. Personally, I think Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas is one of the greatest animated specials, Christmas or otherwise of all time, and is my favorite Christmas movie or special of all-time. Merry Christmas to everyone and thank you for reading my reviews.
½ December 27, 2016
Definitely one of the better television holiday specials, and one you can watch every year. It's an undisputed classic. (First viewing - Childhood)
December 23, 2016
Cute little movie. It did capture the spirit of Christmas pretty well and it was a little bit touching in the end. Because of the hype however, I expected more from it, but I don´t think that it was that special.
December 3, 2016
Still one of the BEST Christmas movies ever!!!!!!!
½ December 2, 2016
Golden, classic Christmas film.
November 28, 2016
watching in my mid-thirties, not only is the Grinch still entertaining, but also a valuable reminder that the spirit of Christmas heavily outweighs the economics of the season.
November 20, 2016
It's not Christmas with the Grinch
October 16, 2016
There's no doubt that this is one of the best made-for-TV Christmas specials ever made if not THE best. From the animation to the songs to the excellent narration from the great Boris Karloff, this is such a memorable, classic animated film. I still watch it every Christmas and I think that if you still haven't seen it yet, please do! You won't regret it!
½ October 8, 2016
Chuck Jones is the sole reason this cartoon works as well as it does.
½ September 18, 2016
A timeless, beloved Christmas classic regardless of age.
August 28, 2016
My favorite as a kid
½ August 27, 2016
Those rare Christmas movies where it's timeless no matter when what year it is. This is the definition of this movie.
Instantly recognizable characters,story,design,moments,etc. I personally watch this whenever I feel down and it always cheer me up,even if I watch it more than once in one sitting.
August 23, 2016
The best christmas movie ever! A classic movie with great music and humor!
½ July 23, 2016
A true Christmas classic! It wouldn't be Christmas without it.!
July 22, 2016
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966) C-26m. ??? 1/2 D: Chuck Jones, Ben Washam. Voice of Boris Karloff. Lovely screen adaption of Dr. Seuss' classic children's story about a grumpy old Grinch who plans to steal Christmas from the Whos of Whoville but is won over by their happiness. Gentle, sweet, and funny. A most enjoyable and irresistible animated feature. Loose finale only flaw. Memorable narration by Karloff and music by Albert Hague.
½ June 24, 2016
How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a holiday classic that just radiates timelessness, justifiably turning the titular Grinch into one of Suess' most recognizable characters and one of the holiday's most iconic figures.
March 12, 2016
This is a classic that tells the story the way its meant to be told.