Dragnet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dragnet Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
7/20/2016: A few laughs, but only an ok movie at best. Considering the cast I was hoping for a much better film.
November 10, 2015
Classic comedy with iconic actors.
Why is Hollywood not making comedies like this anymore?
September 11, 2015
While I liked this more when I was a little kid, this is just painful to watch as an adult. I like both Aykroyd and Hanks, but this was just a huge pile of garbage!
½ April 28, 2015
Joe Friday is on the case in the buddy cop comedy Dragnet. Adapted from the '50s television show, straight-laced LAPD Sgt. Joe Friday is teamed up with a free-spirited partner and is tasked with investigating a series of robberies by a crime gang calling themselves the P.A.G.A.N.s. Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks make a good comedy duo and deliver solid performances. And, the film does a nice job at homaging the original show while keeping to a modern setting. However, the plot is pretty ridiculous and the villain is extremely cartoonish. Dragnet has some nostalgic charm to it, but overall it ends up being a rather mediocre slapstick comedy.
½ April 9, 2015
The funny moments are far too sparse to be anything but a bargain bin offering.
March 4, 2015
Grade: Firm 6/10

Dragnet is an 80's crime comedy that although isn't that funny to be fair, still manages to produce a kind of fun story. Is this Dan Aykroyd or Tom Hanks best work in the funny business?, no, but what I will say is they give it there all and with some good one liners here and there it still is a highly enjoyable piece of entertainment.

The plot centres around, well quite a few things actually and that is why I felt it was OK, it not only produces thrills and also spills, but it also produces a nice setting to it too with LA providing a typical 80's backdrop that never gets old in movies. I thoroughly enjoyed the start and actually felt it could be a classic, the only problem is it really starts to decline in quality toward the ending and you feel with the last half or quarter that if it had been a little more precise with the script, it could have been very good.

Tom Mankiewicz directs and co writes this well but I did feel as previously said the script just isn't tight enough, bit of tweaking would have made massive improvements. Dan Accord is among them writers and also the star of the film playing Sergeant Joe Friday who although is a hard character I understand to be funny with, is massively overshadowed by others involved and you want to see more of Tom Hanks character Pep Steinbeck by the time he has fully established himself. Speaking on Hanks he is good here, a little crazy but pretty much delivers the jokes this entire film has that are funny.

Now whether or not it lives up to it's original TV series is only known by those who watched it, and I am not among those who have, but what I will say is that if this is anything to go by it probably hasn't. The film is just a little too messy, yes of course I did say it is OK and it truly is but is it really that great of a film, well probably no in all fairness.

Away from the comedy, and I stress this quite importantly, the plot is actually very thrilling and the story that we go through is very entertaining indeed. The whole thing about P.A.G.A.N is mysterious and is never truly solved until right at the end of the movie, the plot is worth it's own serious movie for that. One thing the movie can do rather well is make itself smart, I don't mean in terms of jokes but when you see some of the very long and drawn out quips by Aykroyd, you see not only the smart side of Mankiewicz but also the acting skill of Dan Aykroyd himself.

Overall I felt it was actually just about OK and definitely worth a watch for anyone who wants a fun, if not only slightly funny 80's comedy. Ridiculous from start to finish it does fail to capitalise on making itself a Naked Gun type film but does succeed in making itself rather fun and entertaining meaning although your belly wont hurt by the end from laughter, you'll still feel full of fun and a silly kind of feeling. Oh and one more point is on for me the best actor here, in a dramatic way, Christopher Plummer whose straight faced Reverend is both stern and fun and plays well into quite a few jokes too. He proves here why in years after he won an Academy Award(long overdue), and even in a rather failed comedy, still managed to act to his full skill and even potential.
½ March 2, 2015
expected this to be a classic, however its a major disappointment. humour struggles badly to be convincing throughout, story doesnt help either
½ December 19, 2014
What a terrible film to come from the 80s. Rubbish in every way, bad cheesy acting, awful background music, terrible story and Dan Akroyds voice! Tom Hanks was the only good thing about it and I laughed once, right near the end of the film. 2 hours of my life wasted
½ November 2, 2014
Pre-serious Hanks, politically correct themes. Nothing to do with the original dry tv series except using the name Joe Friday and giving it to one of the Blues Brothers to imitate Jack Webb.
½ October 19, 2014
Fun cheesy '80's action-comedy with Hanks and Aykroyd playing very weel off each other. "Just the facts guys."
September 22, 2014
This hilarious crime comedy isn't funnier than "Beverly Hills Cop II," but both Akroyd and Hank performed well, especially Akroyd with his fast police-talking trying to stay serious. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 16, 2014
a lot funnier then I thought it would be
July 22, 2014
Aykroyd's script has more than its share of clever, witty ideas, but the film still feels the need to descend way too often to Police Academy-style heroes-dress-up-like-idiots sequences. Aykroyd delivers one of his best comic portrayals in Dragnet, which on first glance seems like a superficial impression, but once you follow Joe Friday for a bit, you begin to appreciate the subtle ways that Aykroyd manages to get in laughs through such a deadpan delivery. This is the loosest, most ridiculous Hanks has ever been, and it's a delight to watch him bounce off the scripted madness and his shell-shocked co-stars. The most fun supporting turn comes from a game Christopher Plummer as a giggling 'moral majority' televangelist who dons goat-leg britches to officiate at the ceremonies of the PAGAN cult. The film slips occasionally into 80s action-itis and can't resist a few conventional friendship lessons, but most of the time it's fresh, funny, and surprising. It's fun a lot of the time. Several individual shots are hilarious. The interplay of Aykroyd and Hanks makes it worthwhile.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
July 16, 2014
A big budget effort to revive the long-dormant TV series with a snarkier, more wise-cracking slant. Dan Aykroyd is in his element as the super stiff, by-the-books Joe Friday (nephew of the original protagonist), while Tom Hanks often feels like he tries too hard as the detective's wacky, off-kilter new partner. The two play their roles well, but oddly don't have much of a rapport and feel like they're more wrapped up in the eccentricities of the characters than what's going on around them. I can't really blame them - the plot doesn't seem appropriate, or even all that interesting. Why stick to the guidelines of a basic detective story when you can dive into the overcomplicated saga of an evil pagan minister with deep political ties and a weakness for sacrificial virgins, I guess? It's a terrible match for the cast, who seem as puzzled by it as I was, and sets the film up for failure before it's even found its legs. Amusing at times, for the most part it's helplessly contradictory, clumsy and often downright grating.
½ June 24, 2014
What happens when you try to translate a crime drama from the 50's into a comedy film from the 80's? If you must know, this movie is the answer, and it's quite mediocre. Believe it or not, I actually think that Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks make for a good pair in this film, if mainly because they can perform their roles competently, but I find Aykroyd's character to be too tightly wound for comfort. The film's plot is dry and unintelligent, resorting to one stereotype after another. The script doesn't even have a shred of subtlety, and this ruins what could otherwise be a decent movie. To be fair, the film has some good music, and there are occasionally funny moments, but the overall style seems fairly typical, and the humour is spoiled by how unbearable the first half of the film can be.
June 24, 2014
This film has its moments when its actually pretty funny, but it's extremely difficult for me to take the movie seriously as a spoof, mainly because both the high presence of this 50's values man whipping it out so to speak and the fact that the bad guys are an extremely gross stereotype. One thing I will say is it's the only movie with Tom Hanks in it where I can actually sympathize with the character he is playing. Nonetheless, this movie is one of those movies that gets really annoying for me before it gets decent, even with the funny moments that sometimes appear from the beginning. It would actually be a better movie if most of the characters just didn't get to me, or if there was actually more than one character that was consistently likeable. Although I must admit, Dan Aykroyd did do a good job with the main character, even if that character happens to be a really unlikeable 50's values man.
½ May 21, 2014
it had some funny moments but it gets a bit annoying
April 10, 2014
Good movie. Funny, decent action, great performances from Aykroyd and Hanks.
April 1, 2014
It was occasionally funny, but mostly really dumb.
March 7, 2014
As campy as every other buddy cop movie of its time, but still way more fun than not.