Duel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ March 20, 2016
Grade: B-
Rating: 7.0/10
February 28, 2016
There is brilliance in simplicity, and also in Spielberg's first feature length directorial effort. It's intense, precise in it's execution, fitfully acted, paced to perfection, and wonderfully shot. It is surprising that this was originally a made for TV movie of the week, but it just shows the promise of a master at work with a clear vision at just 24 years old. Amazing.
February 26, 2016
Steven Spielberg's 1971 Film (Duel) is one of the greatest TV movies I've ever watched, also great acting by the late Dennis Weaver.
½ February 20, 2016
the same intense edge-of-your seat tension from Jaws and Jurrasic Park are already here in this made for TV precursor by Spielberg.
½ February 15, 2016
Steven Spielberg is a genius since day one. Duel is an excellent thriller.
January 23, 2016
It's not just a duel about a man and an another crazy man!It's a duel about a car and a truck.Spielberg starts his career with a great force!!!!
½ January 23, 2016
The days when Spielberg could make superb thrillers with very little money. Sadly, he became rich, and traded it in for his talent.
January 20, 2016
This is of the best movies I ever seen, even no one understands what's happening, Spielberg proved his talent as a smart director years ago
January 18, 2016
A fun early thriller from the best director of all time.
½ December 2, 2015
It upsets me that these once great actors have been resorted to such a dismal and boring film. The camera shots where appalling and poorly executed, I spent most of my time adjusting my glasses due to the shaky camera angles. The cars were not time correct and the sounds were also laughably fake, this film really grind my gears and I would not recommend this to anyone over the age of 10. A really poor effort from Steven as I feel it has much potential to be a great film of the early 70s.
½ November 15, 2015
Spielberg's first film is shockingly visceral, bleak and stripped down. A minimalist Hitchockian tale of one man's fight for survival, it torments the viewer with questions of the reliability of perceptions and the purpose of the terrifying affair as a salesman is hunted down by a beast of a truck. There's some remarkable camera work, and Spielberg's early talent for suspense and the technical craft is evident, though it becomes a bit repetitive at times considering the bare bones plot. Still worth seeing for a fascinating insight into the early mind of America's greatest filmmaker.
½ November 7, 2015
The car ride that Spielberg driven at his feature-length debut was made to be remained stubbornly mysterious before taking the dated idiocy thrills to the ocean in "Jaws" after this practice. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
October 17, 2015
My 2nd time watching this highly entertaining "tv movie" from Steven Spielberg, which is essentially one long chase scene. You see a lot of his flare for visual storytelling in this one. Very entertaining and moves along nicely at a tight 90mins. Give it a try!
½ October 15, 2015
I would really love to see Spielberg make another film this small and contained. Clearly a student of Hitchcock, he makes a heart-dropping, stomach churning thrill ride with so much skill and assuredness for a debut. And that truck...a massive and imposing beast of a non-sentient character. Schlocky fun.
½ October 12, 2015
Now, how come i haven't seen this so far??
October 9, 2015
A not so well-known Spielberg film which should be definitely get so much more credit. Because this is one hell of a car chase, really good acting by Dennis Weaver and, as always, great camera work by Spielberg.
½ September 29, 2015
A true predecessor to Jaws and a damn good audition for it as well. It was so good on TV, it got a theatrical release! I agree!
September 26, 2015
A simple chase movie; but it's so ambitiously directed and well-acted that it's one of the best of its kind. Would have benefited from more of a score though.
September 26, 2015
When you watch Spielberg's interviews on the making of Duel, you understand how much a daunting task it was to complete shooting within such a timeline and still make it good enough. And boy did he make it good enough! Cause here we are, 50 odd years later!

I am yet to watch a film where two vehicles can create as much tension and carry the story forward with such ease over a period of ninety minutes without splashing cgi, cocky dialogues, jumpy beats or extravagant stunts all around.

This is a lesson on film-making from a then novice director who will one day become a legend. This is where it started.
September 7, 2015
Weaver never really got the credit his performance deserved as it was in Spielberg's debut as a director and always over shadowed.This is one hell of a white knuckle ride.