Dune - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dune Reviews

October 17, 2016
Somewhat captures the spirit of the novel, but Lynch was either unable or unwilling to create a lean sci-fi blockbuster from the sprawling source material. The film throws in a little bit of every idea from its source, but nothing sticks or adds up to much of anything. The result is akin to reading 100 non-consecutive pages selected at random from the 400+ page book.
September 26, 2016
I'm a big David Lynch fan, but I really think that this was his only failure. It feels like he took on something that was out of his comfort zone,
Unfortunately, even the dream cast could not help this film. Kyle MacLachlan's screen debut was quite promising, Sean Young and Sting also did pretty well. The casting was pretty good in general, but the movie just failed to deliver. Even as a director's cut.
September 21, 2016
Yes, the plot really is as muddled as you've heard. Luckily it's entirely irrelevant because this movie has Space Marxism and that makes everything work out in the end.
August 27, 2016
My favorite SciFi book of all time condensed into a nice 178 minute extended edition. Great cinematography and execution of story themes.
½ August 16, 2016
Interesting sci-fi movie with a good message in the end, but, difficult to follow at times what was happening as there were a lot of moving parts to this one.
½ July 16, 2016
It's hard to follow if you didn't read the novel. It's also a stylistic departure for the novel. If you take that into account, though, it's great.
July 10, 2016
it could have been a great sci-fi movie but instead its a ok movie it has alot of problems it has good acting good and special effects but the story is hard to follow it has mediocre editing like you could easily notice when a scene whas cut you notice someone wanted to say more or the soundtrack ends in a weird way and bad cgi also a weird soundtrack like then you have a slow song but then suddently it goes to loud fast paced rock song and then back to the same slow song again and then suddenly to a diffrent fast paced rock song all withing seconds in the movie, i think david lynch is a great director but in this movie he whas ok not really his problem because most of the problems are because the studio rushed this movie personally i would recommend the tv version it is around 39 min longer and it explains so much more and does it so much better its so much easier to follow but still has some of problems but as much as the Theatrical version in the made for tv version the editing is a bit better the story is alot better and easier to follow and the rest is the still the same
July 3, 2016
Love this movie, it's Great.
June 30, 2016
Love David Lynch but hate this lousy adaptation of best selling novel. It's a visual sellout of a mess for the director.
June 27, 2016
Visually impressive (for the most part) but it's let down by a messy narrative and frequent laughable dialogue.
Film C.
June 16, 2016
I loved the books, but the film should have been directed by Ridley Scott. If he did the project, it would have been an excellent move but Lynch who also did Twin Peaks, The Elephant Man, The Straight Story and Inland Empire, never read the book, didn't know the story and he was never interested in science-fiction at the time. So he did it badly. As for an adaptation, it gets a

½ June 11, 2016
Good story but not a good movie. Still would like to read Dune.
May 31, 2016
The movue started off amazing, but quickly lost that 'wow' factor. I think George Lucas must of been a fan, because there was a lot of cinematography almost identical to what I saw was definitely in Episodes 1-3 (the new trilogy).
May 15, 2016
I first saw "Dune" in 1985, after having read Frank Herbert's wonderful sci-fi book in the early 70s. I remember looking forward eagerly to seeing the film at the movie theatre and really enjoying it. I feel the movie was a very good story in itself and a fairly good rendering of the story in the book. When I could, I bought the DVD as a worthy addition to my very large collection of DVDs. My criterion for buying a DVD is that it's a movie that I just really enjoyed or for its pure technical and/or artistic merit. After playing it several times over the last five years, I still really enjoy it. There may be a few effects not done at the amazing standard that is now available through CGI but that doesn't matter to me. The story is great science fiction, enough of the book's story is told and I don't mind allowing my imagination and memory to fill in a few gaps where today's immaculate technical standard effects may be somewhat lacking! This is why books are still so great: one can use one's imagination. I think we are too spoilt by today's technology and are a bit mentally lazy and nitpicky as a result.
May 11, 2016
I have tried watching this movie 4-5 times and I still don't know what it is about, and I haven't been able to watch it all the way through yet. Horrible, horrible movie. I don't know how it got such a large budget with a screen play this bad.
½ April 13, 2016
I don't blame anyone for this being a bad movie, but it is a bad movie.
I don't want to blame David Lynch, because I don't think it's really possible to fit the story of "Dune" into a 2-hour movie.
I don't want to blame the actors, because they were working with a bad script and a director who was attempting to make a 2-hour movie out of "Dune."
Nevertheless, the visuals are pretty astounding, and the costumes, sets, and special effects are all pretty great, especially the special effects when you keep the time in mind. Those shields look awesome.
And I can't really bring myself to HATE anything with Patrick Stewart and KMac.
Nevertheless, I love the book, but the movie fails at being a movie. It doesn't tell its story cinematically and the screenplay is all over the place. It is pretty cool to see the characters I know and love, and some of the parts of the book that I really loved are in there, which is great. However, others are skimmed over or simply left out. You can only really get the general idea of the story from the movie, and the parts of the story that you do see aren't even told very well. All in all, I'd watch it again. And I even enjoyed it for what it was. The book was simply much, much more.
½ April 9, 2016
An adaptation of one of my favorite novels which was initially panned and did poorly but has since gained a bit of a cult status. Director David Lynch tried to cut the great sci-fi epic down to a feature film but it ended up becoming choppy and clear as mud. The world Herbert took pains to create so vividly in his series is dark and unpleasant here. Still, it has a notable cast.
March 27, 2016
Still not sold on Dune, unfortunately. It's by no means terrible, but it just doesn't work that well. Probably not as good as the 2000 version, and I haven't read the novel to compare it. MacLachlan is fine as Paul (such an unassuming hero name!), but no one else really has any impact and there's so many characters. Great ideas in general, just poor execution - same as 'John Carter'.
½ March 22, 2016
I know this was a flop, But I really liked it. I have watched it several times over the years and it never fails to entertain me.