Dune - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dune Reviews

½ September 21, 2017
It's definitely interesting to see David Lynch attempt to tackle an epic space adventure like Dune. I really think the movie tried to cram in way too much material from its book, and could have benefited from being two movies, allowing certain plot points to be explained better and the characters to develop. The film tries to get past things to save time by having characters annoyingly thinking out loud or narrating. I felt like Kyle MacLachlan did well with what he had to work with.
½ September 11, 2017
I don't even know. ???
½ September 2, 2017
Sci-fi in a Gothic Jules Vern motif
August 27, 2017
A classic! This is definitely a strange movie, but one of my favorites. I confess I hated it the first time I saw it but have come to absolutely love it. Definitely worth watching a number of times. Very artistically made. Unique and enthralling.
August 6, 2017
The definition of Hate it or Love it. DUNE is the Radiohead of movies. I'm on the Love it bandwagon for this epic sci-fi gem. Radiohead, I'm on the other side. Though I don't hate you, I just don't get you. Back to David Lynch's fantasy Opus, even he was not happy with the final product, intending it to be a 3 hour plus movie he never got to finish. But Mr. Lynch, I gotta tell ya, while I wish you were able to finish it like you wanted, I still love what we got. DUNE holds a special place in my heart because it was one my Dad was so excited to share with me. He loved it, and through his love of it, I loved it. It blew my 9-year-old mind and still blows it 25 years later. I finally within the last couple years read Frank Herbert's DUNE and two of its four sequels. This is one complex story and I can't see how you can condense it into 2 hour movie. Lynch did it. True the story would greatly benefit if you LORD OF THE RINGS'd it and filmed two 2 1/2 hr movies and releasing them a year apart. While some parts of Lynch's version seem incomplete, the core of the story is there. Governments and the richest people in the universe try to control it's most precious resource, in DUNE's case it's the Spice. Spice is to the universe as Oil is to our world. This movie is an expertly acted visual feast that to me just gets better and better with each viewing. I highly recommend both the Book and the movie, DUNE is one of the greatest stories ever told.
½ July 31, 2017
David Lynch is my favorite director and to me this is his weakest film. It is great to know that he has range as a film maker, not only just making his signature genre, but science fiction based off of novels as well as a true story about a man with an incredibly rare and disgusting skin disease and his struggles with life.

This film however failed to capture me, however I wouldn't doubt at all if it has a fanbase or even is now looked upon as a cult following. To me Dune was full of uninteresting characters wrapped up in an uninteresting plot. The highlights of this movie belongs to its set pieces, costume work, and it's incredible score. It may just take me another viewing...
July 15, 2017
What terribly exciting hogwash. Thank god it was just weird enough for me to want to sit through it. I also love the book, so it was fun watching them mess everything up. Sucks because I love David Lynch. Still, fun to watch if you just want to mess with visuals. That's why I'm giving it three stars. Also my love for the book is forcing me to keep it at three stars. Meh concept, meh execution.
July 13, 2017
There are components to this mess that have aged (remarkably, actually) well: Farcically grand performances, an epic score that keeps time with a wink, Lynch's most surreally alien set design; but these better bits merely tread the surface of the otherwise confused story. A lightening quick pace does not do wonders for such a detailed world and dense novel, nor does injecting the plot with a heavy dose of speed equal riveting action sequences. Never is enough time spent with the characters, with their political machinations or personal developments-not that Lynch is wholly to blame: He sets the wrong tone, for sure (here, ironic fantasy becomes true horror), but the story is better suited for a multipart saga than a single spectacle.
June 10, 2017
Undoubtedly a complete mess (Lynch doesn't handle exposition well, and "Dune" requires a lot of world building) but the movie is filled with unforgettable imagery. One wonders what might have happened if Lynch had an even larger budget and final cut.
½ June 4, 2017
A glorious mess. A truly unique science fiction film from difficult and cerebral source material. This is a flawed but still visually impressive flick.
May 23, 2017
Absolute, complete, total masterpiece. You must watch the longer edit of the movie, not the shorter one. Sure, you can criticize the implementation of this movie, but the story is epic, and David Lynch certainly did deliver.
April 26, 2017
this movie is so cool, I don't understand people who don't think this is great
April 24, 2017
Sluggish and boring, feels like a longer film cut down to 2 hours that jumps from one scene to the next without context to events that have happened. Toto's music, special effects, and production value are the film's only redeeming qualities.
April 1, 2017
This movie is mysteriously put down as a bad movie. Why? Who knows. Dune is one of my all time great sci-fi films in a class of films with titles like Blade Runner and Star Wars.
There is a lot to grasp the first time watching it as the Dune universe is deep and there are multiple factions that have their own objectives while being manipulated behind the scenes by the emperor of the universe to keep his political power in check.
The extended version of the film helps to explain who the players are in the movie and their goals which in the theatrical version required multiple viewings to get a grip on if unfamiliar with the book the film is based on.
If you plan on watching I would recommend the extended cut as it will help greatly to understand this masterpiece the first time out as it is a cerebral type of film with concepts of scuence that were unfamiliar to audiences of the day. In comparison Star Trek was taken off the air for being too cerebral and it ended up making history for 50 years now. Dune will only grow in popularity as time goes on and the critics who trashed the film will hopefully never be taken seriously again when looking for a film to see.
March 3, 2017
The poster child for "the book is better than the movie." They turned a high art book filled with smart philosphiszing into something somehow less than B-movie schlock.
February 12, 2017
I think it can be done better, but still amazing after all this time
February 4, 2017
Dune might be a epic sci-fi adventure, but the movie is overly complicated, sloppy, awful scripted and told very strange. A classic it may be, but not a good one if you get pass the nostalgia.
January 16, 2017
Underrated masterpiece
January 15, 2017
Briliant representation of the characters and atmosphere in the book.