Dune - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dune Reviews

½ February 13, 2018
This movie really stinks.
February 10, 2018
56%? And Black Panther has a 98%? Plebs.
January 23, 2018
Bit of a mess. Easily Lynch's weakest film for me. But like any of his films there's still plenty to enjoy. There's something quite fun about the campy monster make-up, and the Brian Eno score is to die for.
½ January 10, 2018
I thought the movie was a bit confusing the first time I watched it way back when. But after the second time, the movie was, and is great. Totally under rated.
½ January 9, 2018
I saw this on release and was totally confused (even having read the book). 35 years later (almost), it seems a lot more accessible and enjoyable (and I've read the books several times since). A visual treat full of 80's brashness.
½ January 3, 2018
I understand it's a difficult movie to follow frequently, but besides that, this movie is fantastic. I don't always understand people's objections to this movie. Visually stunning and frequently well-acted (if you can accept some melodrama appropriate for the circumstances of the characters and story).
½ December 19, 2017
Pretty epic. Great cast.
November 24, 2017
Absolute, complete, total masterpiece. You must watch the longer edit of the movie, not the shorter one. Sure, you can criticize the implementation of this movie, but David Lynch certainly did deliver, and in some ways improved on it. Executing this story on film is certainly very very difficult, and I doubt this could have turned out better.
November 11, 2017
My favorite movie ever. Just stay away from the longer directors cut or the foreign cuts.
November 9, 2017
Clever science fiction. I think this film needs to be watched with the correct mindset. It was an epic movie.
½ October 22, 2017
There was a lot about this film that makes it laudable, but the plot is ghastly and the ham acting of some degrades the talented performances of the other actors.
October 21, 2017
A space sci-fi movie for the truly hardcore sci-fi nerds, which is definitely not me. David Lynch, the "King of the Unusual" definitely goes all out with the bizarre factor, only set in space this time. So many different oddball names that it's hard to keep track of what's what and who's who. All I know is once I got to the scene where a giant alien walrus fetus was shooting laser beams out of its mouth and butt, there was no way I could take this seriously. I'll take the new Disney tainted Star Wars crapfest movies over this any day.
October 19, 2017
Sitting right on the edge between thumbs up or down but uiltimately have to go down. It's cheesy no doubt - yet fairly absorbing. I was not thinking about bailing at any point. But it's just a bit too stupid with the unsubtle tale of hyper-earnest Jesus guy. It has some decent foundational elements and I imagine the book is probably pretty okay. But not quite as a movie. 4.4 out of 10
½ September 21, 2017
It's definitely interesting to see David Lynch attempt to tackle an epic space adventure like Dune. I really think the movie tried to cram in way too much material from its book, and could have benefited from being two movies, allowing certain plot points to be explained better and the characters to develop. The film tries to get past things to save time by having characters annoyingly thinking out loud or narrating. I felt like Kyle MacLachlan did well with what he had to work with.
½ September 11, 2017
I don't even know. ???
½ September 2, 2017
Sci-fi in a Gothic Jules Vern motif
August 27, 2017
A classic! This is definitely a strange movie, but one of my favorites. I confess I hated it the first time I saw it but have come to absolutely love it. Definitely worth watching a number of times. Very artistically made. Unique and enthralling.
August 6, 2017
The definition of Hate it or Love it. DUNE is the Radiohead of movies. I'm on the Love it bandwagon for this epic sci-fi gem. Radiohead, I'm on the other side. Though I don't hate you, I just don't get you. Back to David Lynch's fantasy Opus, even he was not happy with the final product, intending it to be a 3 hour plus movie he never got to finish. But Mr. Lynch, I gotta tell ya, while I wish you were able to finish it like you wanted, I still love what we got. DUNE holds a special place in my heart because it was one my Dad was so excited to share with me. He loved it, and through his love of it, I loved it. It blew my 9-year-old mind and still blows it 25 years later. I finally within the last couple years read Frank Herbert's DUNE and two of its four sequels. This is one complex story and I can't see how you can condense it into 2 hour movie. Lynch did it. True the story would greatly benefit if you LORD OF THE RINGS'd it and filmed two 2 1/2 hr movies and releasing them a year apart. While some parts of Lynch's version seem incomplete, the core of the story is there. Governments and the richest people in the universe try to control it's most precious resource, in DUNE's case it's the Spice. Spice is to the universe as Oil is to our world. This movie is an expertly acted visual feast that to me just gets better and better with each viewing. I highly recommend both the Book and the movie, DUNE is one of the greatest stories ever told.
½ July 31, 2017
David Lynch is my favorite director and to me this is his weakest film. It is great to know that he has range as a film maker, not only just making his signature genre, but science fiction based off of novels as well as a true story about a man with an incredibly rare and disgusting skin disease and his struggles with life.

This film however failed to capture me, however I wouldn't doubt at all if it has a fanbase or even is now looked upon as a cult following. To me Dune was full of uninteresting characters wrapped up in an uninteresting plot. The highlights of this movie belongs to its set pieces, costume work, and it's incredible score. It may just take me another viewing...