Dune - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dune Reviews

July 15, 2017
What terribly exciting hogwash. Thank god it was just weird enough for me to want to sit through it. I also love the book, so it was fun watching them mess everything up. Sucks because I love David Lynch. Still, fun to watch if you just want to mess with visuals. That's why I'm giving it three stars. Also my love for the book is forcing me to keep it at three stars. Meh concept, meh execution.
July 13, 2017
There are components to this mess that have aged (remarkably, actually) well: Farcically grand performances, an epic score that keeps time with a wink, Lynch's most surreally alien set design; but these better bits merely tread the surface of the otherwise confused story. A lightening quick pace does not do wonders for such a detailed world and dense novel, nor does injecting the plot with a heavy dose of speed equal riveting action sequences. Never is enough time spent with the characters, with their political machinations or personal developments-not that Lynch is wholly to blame: He sets the wrong tone, for sure (here, ironic fantasy becomes true horror), but the story is better suited for a multipart saga than a single spectacle.
June 10, 2017
Undoubtedly a complete mess (Lynch doesn't handle exposition well, and "Dune" requires a lot of world building) but the movie is filled with unforgettable imagery. One wonders what might have happened if Lynch had an even larger budget and final cut.
½ June 4, 2017
A glorious mess. A truly unique science fiction film from difficult and cerebral source material. This is a flawed but still visually impressive flick.
May 23, 2017
Absolute, complete, total masterpiece. You must watch the longer edit of the movie, not the shorter one. Sure, you can criticize the implementation of this movie, but the story is epic, and David Lynch certainly did deliver.
April 26, 2017
this movie is so cool, I don't understand people who don't think this is great
April 24, 2017
Sluggish and boring, feels like a longer film cut down to 2 hours that jumps from one scene to the next without context to events that have happened. Toto's music, special effects, and production value are the film's only redeeming qualities.
April 1, 2017
This movie is mysteriously put down as a bad movie. Why? Who knows. Dune is one of my all time great sci-fi films in a class of films with titles like Blade Runner and Star Wars.
There is a lot to grasp the first time watching it as the Dune universe is deep and there are multiple factions that have their own objectives while being manipulated behind the scenes by the emperor of the universe to keep his political power in check.
The extended version of the film helps to explain who the players are in the movie and their goals which in the theatrical version required multiple viewings to get a grip on if unfamiliar with the book the film is based on.
If you plan on watching I would recommend the extended cut as it will help greatly to understand this masterpiece the first time out as it is a cerebral type of film with concepts of scuence that were unfamiliar to audiences of the day. In comparison Star Trek was taken off the air for being too cerebral and it ended up making history for 50 years now. Dune will only grow in popularity as time goes on and the critics who trashed the film will hopefully never be taken seriously again when looking for a film to see.
March 3, 2017
The poster child for "the book is better than the movie." They turned a high art book filled with smart philosphiszing into something somehow less than B-movie schlock.
February 12, 2017
I think it can be done better, but still amazing after all this time
February 4, 2017
Dune might be a epic sci-fi adventure, but the movie is overly complicated, sloppy, awful scripted and told very strange. A classic it may be, but not a good one if you get pass the nostalgia.
January 16, 2017
Underrated masterpiece
January 15, 2017
Briliant representation of the characters and atmosphere in the book.
January 7, 2017
I know this movie has mixed reviews, but for a real fan of Frank Herbert, it is genius from front to back. It falls well outside the spectrum of the simple sci-fi arc of "farm boy finds his destiny" and instead is a complex web of philosophical and political theories that culminate in an almost religious depth of meaning.
I simply can't recommend this movie highly enough. The cast and scenery are, if nothing else, a tour de force unseen in modern cinema.
December 21, 2016
Dune is a spectacle with an entire universe to explore and deep mythology. However, much of that is rushed to reach a desired ending within a single movie that could easily be stretched to two films. Great score by Toto which is continually spoken over with weird VO thoughts.
October 31, 2016
This gorgeous movie takes us to the fantastic and imaginative world of Frank Herbert and the Dune saga. The movie vividly and intricately captures the sentiment and details of this complex and enthralling story. One does not watch this movie to judge the many special effects or the diverse components of the complicated plot, but rather to see the powerful messages of this masterful novel come to life through an intense and thrilling interpretation. War, religion, politics, love, family, honor, duty, hatred, friendship, technology, mystic powers, space travel, exotic planets---and the potential future of our human race are all highlighted. The actors play their roles very well and we are swept into a superb science fiction alternate reality. This film truly deserves more praise and recognition. Also, to all 'confused' viewers--read the books!!
October 17, 2016
Somewhat captures the spirit of the novel, but Lynch was either unable or unwilling to create a lean sci-fi blockbuster from the sprawling source material. The film throws in a little bit of every idea from its source, but nothing sticks or adds up to much of anything. The result is akin to reading 100 non-consecutive pages selected at random from the 400+ page book.
September 26, 2016
I'm a big David Lynch fan, but I really think that this was his only failure. It feels like he took on something that was out of his comfort zone,
Unfortunately, even the dream cast could not help this film. Kyle MacLachlan's screen debut was quite promising, Sean Young and Sting also did pretty well. The casting was pretty good in general, but the movie just failed to deliver. Even as a director's cut.
September 21, 2016
Yes, the plot really is as muddled as you've heard. Luckily it's entirely irrelevant because this movie has Space Marxism and that makes everything work out in the end.