Dune - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dune Reviews

½ March 22, 2016
I know this was a flop, But I really liked it. I have watched it several times over the years and it never fails to entertain me.
February 29, 2016
By far the absolute worst film adaptation of a novel I've ever seen. Impossible to follow unless you've read the book. Dreadful overacting, sloppy directing and amateurish special effects. Good for a laugh though - especially the overacting.
February 28, 2016
Wow this movie was total garbage..
February 17, 2016
quite confusing if not familiar with the book but after a glance at wikipedia for further understanding and it is a great adventure.
½ February 12, 2016
Sci-fi in a Gothic Jules Vern motif
½ February 7, 2016
Gave up after the first hour.
February 1, 2016
A bold attempt on the part of David Lynch to realize a monolithic work of science fiction on the big screen. It's plodding, cryptic, and deeply inaccessible, but most of this seems due to the constraints brought on by it's 2 hour and 17 minute runtime. Apparently this was an immovable duration because everything about the way this film was cobbled together in editing suggests that it was forcibly compressed, leading to a third act that is almost incomprehensible because of how much plot is squeezed into roughly half an hour. Some epics need more screen time to justify themselves, and Dune did not permit itself that luxury.
½ January 24, 2016
Let's just be honest. Let's just be real. It's kinda meh.
January 24, 2016
I gave this a three star review because this is a very difficult book to adapt to a movie. Overall it was well done and I liked how they streamlined the story compared to the Dune miniseries that came out in 2000. If you haven't read the book watch the extended version of this movie that has a prologue in the beginning. It will help you make sense of what is going on in the plot.
November 8, 2015
An excellent adaption of an epic and far-reaching story line, ambitious for cinema of the time.
November 3, 2015
How does one even rate a movie like this? The book is great, and the movie makes some.... interesting decisions. The art design is unique: the spaceships are cool, the worms are awesome, and the costumes range from "interesting choice" to magnificent.

I enjoyed watching someone's interpretation brought to screen.
October 26, 2015
Dune is a "go to" movie for me. While yes, there are shortcomings in this film, the story and visuals work for me. It is NOT a movie that allows one to just pop in and enjoy. The viewer does have to work for the rewards in this film.
½ October 13, 2015
I've never been able to get into Star Wars... but this was awesome! Looks stunning and has so many unique concepts which can be unusual in sci fi. I enjoyed it so much I'm reading the novel.
September 30, 2015
Desi se da na Pink Sci fi puste dobar film :D
Robert B.
September 30, 2015
Fantastical, imaginative, cheesy, and grotesque -- Dune is fun movie. The sets, sound, costumes all show the efforts were put in and to good effect. Not everything comes off, though. Many of the props and effects are silly. But that's not such a problem if you are not taking the movie seriously to begin with. It's not another Star Wars (like perhaps it wanted to be), but it is still a good time.
September 22, 2015
My favourite film ever for it's steampunk design, great actors, the most disgustingly creepy bad guys ever, psychedelic mysticism and triumphant climax-"and how can this be? For he is the quizatzhadderach!" Beware the Alan Smithee version marketed as 'the directors cut'.
½ September 13, 2015
My opinions are divided, as one can quickly see that "Dune" is not a visually masterpiece, the acting and dialogue is horrible at times. It's suppose to be funny at times, but it's not. All in all you come along the the story and it's somewhat spellbinding in a minor way, as you get the feel for the characters and their mission. Especially cool is MacLachlan's Lynch debut, as his work with Lynch is legendary.
½ August 25, 2015
An nonsensical, dreamlike trek through the universe of one of my favorite (sense-making) novels. A 'failure' by David Lynch's standards is still a success.
½ August 24, 2015
Controversial...I wouldn't watch it another time...
½ August 21, 2015
The movie didn't follow the books much at all, save for the main ideas. It was enjoyable to watch but the newer one made in 2000 was much better done, and much more closely followed the books.