Dune Reviews

• 2d ago

Yeah, it has some problems. The script is a bit of a mess, but that is to be expected turning the incredibly dense epic into a single film. Really Dune is a novel that sands two if not three films to adequately get across. Then they added in a truly "weird" subplot about sound powered guns that makes f&#$ all sense. But, it has great production design, and most of the stories skeleton is here. I would consider it an interesting, noble, and mostly watchable failure.

• Feb 21, 2020

Considering the length of the novel. And also considering how detailed it is. This I feel looks, acts, stylized, and marvel at it with its context it's vastly big. Unfortunately this is one cut of the film. I've seen this one, which lacks in focus to make something that's pretty good, only turning it into a such a mess. Yet, may I remind you there 'was' a DVD a few years ago that's not available now. It was an extended cut that made it far, far better. Running it at three hours. Instead of having a short monologue of what's to come, they have a lengthy cut that sets up all the players and things they're trying to accomplish. The extended version was too long. Yet they tried to cut corners and it doesn't work. Too much detail is left out. But, does this movie fail. Not at all. Does it succeed. Both yes and no. Was it a good attempt. I think it was nearly there, but it doesn't succeed in being worthy. Watch the extended cut. I would rank it higher. This one? I'll give it three stars.

• Feb 01, 2020

One must admit that it possesses certain grandiose much needed for a space epic of this scale, especially since it has some good design decisions on its side, although its special effects aged rather badly. The real problem, however, is the writing full of dialogues that butcher Herbert's genius with unnecessary exposition, not to mention a ton of off-screen whispered narration that quickly becomes very tiresome.

• Jan 23, 2020

Even when David Lynch is forced to compress Frank Herbert's epic novel into a couple of hours, the quality of the source material makes this movie the best space opera movie of the 80's. Dare I say better than Star Wars: A New Hope? Yes. Yes, I do. The performance of the excellent, Lynch's direction and the set design of Giger, Foss and Giraud makes this movie pure magic. The spice must flow!

• Jan 21, 2020

I thought this was a great movie. Good acting, excellent costumes and sets. Really high production values and a good story.

• Jan 14, 2020

While this film gets ripped apart by actual critics I think it is a wonderful piece of cinema. If you let it, it will capture you and make you think. The visuals are decent for 1984. I'm excited for the new version but really the casting director for this version should get the highest praise.

• Jan 04, 2020

It has his kind of beauty but is hidden by exposition, useless characters, undefined motivations and actually almost everything is undefined and pretty casual

• Dec 12, 2019

When this movie came out it was groundbreaking for 1984.Now it's an old classic sci-fi movies that I still love.

• Nov 28, 2019

I am completely bias I grew up on this film. I have gone back and watched it as an adult time and again. I love it, it feels like another world, the soundtrack and actors are fantastic but I think it is one for the sci fi lovers only.

• Nov 16, 2019

Legendary shit. I start my way in Sci-Fi with this movie.

Legendary shit. I start my way in Sci-Fi with this movie.