Dune Reviews

• 2d ago

Even when David Lynch is forced to compress Frank Herbert's epic novel into a couple of hours, the quality of the source material makes this movie the best space opera movie of the 80's. Dare I say better than Star Wars: A New Hope? Yes. Yes, I do. The performance of the excellent, Lynch's direction and the set design of Giger, Foss and Giraud makes this movie pure magic. The spice must flow!

• 4d ago

I thought this was a great movie. Good acting, excellent costumes and sets. Really high production values and a good story.

• Jan 14, 2020

While this film gets ripped apart by actual critics I think it is a wonderful piece of cinema. If you let it, it will capture you and make you think. The visuals are decent for 1984. I'm excited for the new version but really the casting director for this version should get the highest praise.

• Jan 04, 2020

It has his kind of beauty but is hidden by exposition, useless characters, undefined motivations and actually almost everything is undefined and pretty casual

• Dec 12, 2019

When this movie came out it was groundbreaking for 1984.Now it's an old classic sci-fi movies that I still love.

• Nov 28, 2019

I am completely bias I grew up on this film. I have gone back and watched it as an adult time and again. I love it, it feels like another world, the soundtrack and actors are fantastic but I think it is one for the sci fi lovers only.

• Nov 16, 2019

Legendary shit. I start my way in Sci-Fi with this movie.

Legendary shit. I start my way in Sci-Fi with this movie.

• Oct 20, 2019

Despite the headscratching plot changes, no movie will ever capture the atmosphere of Dune like this one.

• Oct 07, 2019

It's definitely interesting to see David Lynch attempt to tackle an epic space adventure like Dune. I really think the movie tried to cram in way too much material from its book, and could have benefited from being two movies, allowing certain plot points to be explained better and the characters to develop. The film tries to get past things to save time by having characters annoyingly thinking out loud or narrating. I felt like Kyle MacLachlan did well with what he had to work with.

• Sep 22, 2019

Ok. This was a god awful movie. It's literally the equivalent of a cinematic "yada yada yada". I'm almost positive this movie inspired the saying "Yeah, but the book was better." Which is weird because the cast is pretty iconic. The pacing and choice of story points Lynch followed completely reeked of someone who 1) Absolutely did not read the book, and therefore had no idea what was important and what was not, 2) wanted to hurry up and get this over with as quickly as possible, and 3) did not value the characters. It's a shame, because the world built in the books was so lush, you could smell the spice, feel the heat of the desert, sense the emotion in the characters. This movie did none of that. I'm glad I read the book first, if I had seen this movie first, there's no way I would have picked up the novel. The good news is, the bar is set extremely low for 2020's remake.