Easy Virtue - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Easy Virtue Reviews

February 20, 2016
Hitchcock's motif of an innocent convicted by circumstantial evidence continues to develop; Easy Virtue is interesting for its use in a domestic setting and the subversive way in which it is resolved. Impressive, as always with the director's silent productions, for the number and range of techniques he uses to tell the story without spoken dialogue. Here, however, he fails to use these techniques to wring much drama out of it. While it is at least commendable that it avoids the melodrama apparent in many silent films, including some of Hitchcock's own, we aren't given much incentive to invest in the protagonist.
To be fair, much may have been lost since filming; certainly one key scene is unclear as to what happened and appears due to cuts after the film was made, and the washed-out quality of the print means any attempt to build atmosphere is lost.
½ June 2, 2015
These basically weren't Hitch's films, at this stage in his career he was still essentially a Director for hire. There are some fantastic visual touches and tricks in the opening half hour that show the talent he had, the film itself though is fairly dull and flat.
May 6, 2015
Not one of his best, but entertaining nonetheless.
½ March 16, 2015
This is a little bit of a sleeper Hitchcock movie about social shunning, but it was worth it (for me) for the final line, "Shoot! There's nothing left to kill."
½ September 3, 2014
One of the better silent films from Alfred Hitchcock. This one features a woman who is shamed when her drunken husband thinks he catches in an affair with a man painting her portrait. she leaves in an exile having been divorced and publicly ruined...until she meets a new man...can she keep it a secret? The premise of divorce controversy and scandal is pretty dated though. It is well made and enjoyable enough, as silent films go. It is oddly enough adapted from a play in which verbal wordplay was one of the main selling points. It loses a LOT of that in a silent film adaptation, but it was a decent enough story to make the film work in some small way.
½ July 7, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

It is quite fascinating to watch these early films from Hitchcock, it showed me that the man is more than just thrillers and was interested in telling simplistic stories like Easy Virtue and The Farmer's Wife. The film's plot is a woman, Larita Filton, who acted as a defendant in a scandalous divorce case, then travelled to France where she then met a man who she eventually marries, but tries to hide her past away from his family. Easy Virtue details the shame that comes with divorce, during the film's release; this was definitely something that could ruin one's reputation forever. It is heart breaking how difficult it is for her to run away from her old life, all she truly wanted was to start over and love. Larita wasn't even doing anything wrong, she didn't sleep with or kiss anybody; therefore the punishment and humiliation that she has suffered was tragic to watch. These themes were definitely effective during those times but in today's society, divorce is actually something that is accepted; therefore I can understand why some people find this film to be obscure. I did feel this way at a couple of moments, but for the most part I was able to get through it as I was able to allow myself to take on the mindset of an individual from the 1920s. Though I found the film to be overall good, I never felt any of it reached beyond that feeling. I would have enjoyed this film more if it showed a little bit more intensity in its climax and establish the relationship between Larita and her new husband in a more effective way.
½ July 7, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

½ February 17, 2014
Not my kind of flick, it seems to be filler due to Hitchcock's name. The drama is boring, the characters are flat, and there isn't a whole lot interesting going on. The name sells it all, I suppose.
June 23, 2013
Comme d'habitude chez Hitchcock, la realisation est propre et classieuse, certains plans sont plutot jolis et les 10 dernieres minutes sont franchement reussies. Mais en dehors de ca, le film est long, lent, ennuyeux, previsible et surtout pas forcement interprete par des acteurs de talent, ce qui est assez genant etant donne que le film repose entierement sur la performance d'Isabel Jeans. Oubliable.
April 23, 2013
It's an average silent movie, with average performances and good cinematography. The limitations of film-making at the time are shown here, yet it's interesting enough to keep you watching for more.
April 11, 2013
Like many of Hitchcock's early silent films, Easy Virtue is much different than what today's audiences expect from the Master of Suspense. This social drama hasn't aged well and the story today is dated and irrelevant. I enjoyed the musical score that went along with this movie though. It coincided beautifully with the action in the story and is the greatest virtue of Hitchcock's Easy Virtue.
½ February 10, 2013
Nowhere is cinematography more important than in a silent film. Maybe I was just paying closer attention, but I felt in the beginning of "Easy Virtue" an almost burst of pent-up creativity, and probably innovation, coming via the camera work - it caught my eye on a couple of other occasions later on in the film too. The ending isn't too much to my liking, but the story as a whole was reasonably entertaining for a film that old and is told within a rich setting that makes for vicarious fun.
February 4, 2013
A woman with a scandalous past meets, falls in love with and marries a young man from a good family who does not approve of her . Dull paced and sometimes unnecessarily confusing, though the cinematography still reveals the skill of a young Alfred Hitchcock.
January 8, 2013
the virtues are few..........and not easy to identify in this silent film from hitch.
½ December 2, 2012
"Easy Virtue" is a phrase I did not understand. Now that I do, the film titled appropriately. I feel bad for the woman in this story. It was a slow to watch, but it still told her sad story of a bitter divorce. She later pays for not disclosing this in her later relationship. It was sad she did not have any loyalty from her second husband even when no one knew, and I think that as I look at it today I see no guilt in her. It was interesting how she was demonized by making her the only woman to smoke in the film. Hitchcock also had an interesting sequence with a poodle followed by a bulldog. Perhaps this was symbolic of them coming from France to England? How he loves his dogs!
½ August 28, 2012
An unpleasantly downbeat melodrama . Not one of Hitchcock's better silents . For some reason it was remade as a comedy in 2008 starring Jessica Biel , Colin Firth and Kristin Scott Thomas .
June 19, 2012
This is one of Hitchcock's most boring filmzzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz...
February 20, 2012
This was pretty hard going for an 80 minute film. I quite liked the concept and I dare say the source material was adequate but the story just isn't presented in a very interesting manner here. Scenes seem lethargic and lacking in any real definition. A fairly tired production.
Critique Threatt
February 8, 2012
One of Hitchcock's greatest themes was, always listen to your mother. He would use this trend again in later pictures like "Notorious", "Psycho" and "Frenzy". Most people today may not have the patience to sit down and watch a full silent film (myself included) due to the old footage and the sub cards, balletic music and above all, the sound. For me that anxiety started to change when I began to take notice in the heroine Larita played by Isabel Jeans. She is married to a drunken man and is caught cheating with a male artist. Her husband demands a divorce due to adultery. Which she goes to court and is now known to the public as notoriously promiscuious woman.

So Larita then moves to France and marries a young man but the young man's mother comes into the mix and dispises Larita. The mother has heard of her before but can't put her finger on where. Larita doesn't tell the young man of her scandalous past but soon her past haunts her as she is forced to divorce yet again. A sad story. "Easy Virtue" may not be Hitchcock's best but I was very entertained all the way through. Hitchcock gives a hint on bisexual tendencies, adultery, gossip, scandals, dominating mothers almost silently so audiences wouldn't seem to know or to take a hint.

I have to one day see the 2008 film "Easy Virtue" since it is based on the same Noel Coward play and the 1928 movie.
November 24, 2011
Hitchcock's talent is evident in his framing and constructing of the shots of this film. This is a bold undertaking for a silent film - the injustice suffered by a woman scorned by society because of her questionable past - and there are certain moments that work quite well. There are others that are riddled with poor editing and moments that seem to drag on incessantly. The final moments, and final line, however, remain quite effective and relevant even today.