Electric Dreams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Electric Dreams Reviews

October 7, 2017
Wacky. So wacky.. but lovable!
September 11, 2017
A MUCH underrated movie. I can't believe how some people just don't get it. It seems that you either love it or hate it. I, for one, LOVE it! It's a FUN movie! Open your mind and enjoy the story ... AND the MUSIC! The 47% critic rating just goes to show you the typical disconnect between critics and actual viewers. This shows that most of the paid reviewers are, as usual, off the mark and just don't get it. [Although, Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert both gave it a thumbs up!] "Electric Dreams" is a 'Fairytale for Computers'. Maybe it takes more than one viewing? In any event, the directing and cinematography was awesome. And the acting between the three lead characters, Lenny Von Dohlen, Virginia Madsen, and Bud Cort was excellent. The music, although some of the songs have that 80's sound (it was filmed in the 80's) the words and music still come across and are a great accompaniment to the telling of this story. If you like the mix of romance and comedy, then you'll like this movie. "We'll always be together in electric dreams." ;)
August 14, 2017
How could anybody not love this Movie. By the way Bud Cort from Harold and Maude Movie played the voice of the computer. Sure this movie was ahead of the times, but It could really happen check out Ex-Machina. The music is beautiful especially by Georgio Maurader. I give this great little film a *5* star Rating. By the way if you know a seller in the USA they can burn you a copy for about $20.00
May 24, 2017
We all have our guilty pleasures, and the "Electric Dreams" movie and its soundtrack are among mine. It's not that it's a bad movie or anything--it's an all-around feel-good movie. And I found the movie very engaging, between the cinematography, special effects, and the music. And I loved the chemistry between Lenny von Dohlen and Virginia Madsen in their respective roles as Miles and Madeline. And the humor and innocence of Edgar helped to root, develop and move the story in a direction that you'd never expect it to. These elements helped enliven the traditional romantic plot of the boy-meets-girl scenario.
January 26, 2017
dated indeed, but this one pushes all the right buttons.
½ October 24, 2015
Before 'Her', there was this sweet little film about a computer AI who learns what love is and what it means to be human. Good 80s music, too from Jeff Lynne and the equally great film composer Giorgio Moroder.
August 21, 2015
Had some eighties charm but the director's history shows a little too much: it feels more like an extended music video than a movie.
½ July 8, 2015
I had fun watching this as a child especially since computers were fairly new back then
½ April 13, 2015
This is a nice little creative romantic comedy.
February 6, 2015
The directorial debut of music video director Steve Barron, who later directed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990), The Adventures of Pinocchio (1996) and Mike Bassett: England Manager (2001)). and written by Rusty Lemorande (Journey to the Center of the Earth (1988) and The Turn of the Screw (1992)). This is a sci-fi comedy romance which sent up the fascination with computers in the 1980's. Set in San Francisco, Miles Harding (Lenny Von Dohlen), is an architect who has come up with a way for buildings to withstand earthquakes. In order to realise it, he buys a computer to develop his idea, but this computer, which becomes sentient after champagne is splashed on the console. The computer now calls itself Edgar (voiced by Bud Cort), and it controls everything in Miles' apartment, and it even takes an interest in the new neighbour Madeline Robistat (Virginia Madsen), who is a cellist. However, Miles has fallen in love with Madeline, which he makes absolutely clear to Edgar, who doesn't take this news well, so he gets revenge on Miles. It's a very silly film, although it does have some brilliant editing and computer graphics for it's day, and while parts of it do look like a string of music videos knitted together, it does have a good soundtrack, with the likes of Giorgio Moroder, Jeff Lynne and Culture Club making appearances, all filtered through the mischievous Edgar.
July 20, 2014
I enjoy this with more irony than you would have thought possible.
May 10, 2014
My childhood dream too
January 23, 2014
Love triangle with a recluse, a talking computer, and a beautiful girl.
½ January 10, 2014
Loved it at the time, inspiration for 2013's "Her" perhaps??
October 12, 2013
I loved this film - ' your tongue does not slip, that was a lie!'
September 22, 2013
Was ok for its time - why the negatives?
½ August 28, 2013
Guaranteed to leave you smiling and feeling pure joy--A movie to make you miss the 80's!!
½ May 20, 2013
Very asinine but has to attribute this movie for many many sequels lately.
½ March 25, 2013
A peculiar film, the concept sounds silly: a guy likes a girl but his romantic rival is a computer, but truth be told, i found myself feeling sorry for the computer, especially at the end, thats due large in part to bud corts voice as the computer, unfortunately the film doesnt go deep into exploring the concept of a computer feeling emotion, instead just settling for cheap laughs the majority of the time, virginia madsem is very lovely here, one of her first roles ever, the film also has good use of music, especially its combining of the song lovers concerto with classical music, and i love the end credits song, giorgio moroder at his best
February 28, 2013
Electric Dreams has 4 musical sequences in it that are so magical, they should be pop-cultural icons but for some strange reason this movie wasn't seen by many people. Virginia Madsen is wonderful. Edgar and 'Moles' are unforgettable. See this amazing movie. You wont regret it.