Electric Dreams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Electric Dreams Reviews

½ October 24, 2015
Before 'Her', there was this sweet little film about a computer AI who learns what love is and what it means to be human. Good 80s music, too from Jeff Lynne and the equally great film composer Giorgio Moroder.
August 21, 2015
Had some eighties charm but the director's history shows a little too much: it feels more like an extended music video than a movie.
½ July 8, 2015
I had fun watching this as a child especially since computers were fairly new back then
½ April 13, 2015
This is a nice little creative romantic comedy.
February 6, 2015
The directorial debut of music video director Steve Barron, who later directed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990), The Adventures of Pinocchio (1996) and Mike Bassett: England Manager (2001)). and written by Rusty Lemorande (Journey to the Center of the Earth (1988) and The Turn of the Screw (1992)). This is a sci-fi comedy romance which sent up the fascination with computers in the 1980's. Set in San Francisco, Miles Harding (Lenny Von Dohlen), is an architect who has come up with a way for buildings to withstand earthquakes. In order to realise it, he buys a computer to develop his idea, but this computer, which becomes sentient after champagne is splashed on the console. The computer now calls itself Edgar (voiced by Bud Cort), and it controls everything in Miles' apartment, and it even takes an interest in the new neighbour Madeline Robistat (Virginia Madsen), who is a cellist. However, Miles has fallen in love with Madeline, which he makes absolutely clear to Edgar, who doesn't take this news well, so he gets revenge on Miles. It's a very silly film, although it does have some brilliant editing and computer graphics for it's day, and while parts of it do look like a string of music videos knitted together, it does have a good soundtrack, with the likes of Giorgio Moroder, Jeff Lynne and Culture Club making appearances, all filtered through the mischievous Edgar.
July 20, 2014
I enjoy this with more irony than you would have thought possible.
May 10, 2014
My childhood dream too
January 23, 2014
Love triangle with a recluse, a talking computer, and a beautiful girl.
½ January 10, 2014
Loved it at the time, inspiration for 2013's "Her" perhaps??
October 12, 2013
I loved this film - ' your tongue does not slip, that was a lie!'
September 22, 2013
Was ok for its time - why the negatives?
½ August 28, 2013
Guaranteed to leave you smiling and feeling pure joy--A movie to make you miss the 80's!!
½ May 20, 2013
Very asinine but has to attribute this movie for many many sequels lately.
½ March 25, 2013
A peculiar film, the concept sounds silly: a guy likes a girl but his romantic rival is a computer, but truth be told, i found myself feeling sorry for the computer, especially at the end, thats due large in part to bud corts voice as the computer, unfortunately the film doesnt go deep into exploring the concept of a computer feeling emotion, instead just settling for cheap laughs the majority of the time, virginia madsem is very lovely here, one of her first roles ever, the film also has good use of music, especially its combining of the song lovers concerto with classical music, and i love the end credits song, giorgio moroder at his best
February 28, 2013
Electric Dreams has 4 musical sequences in it that are so magical, they should be pop-cultural icons but for some strange reason this movie wasn't seen by many people. Virginia Madsen is wonderful. Edgar and 'Moles' are unforgettable. See this amazing movie. You wont regret it.
½ February 24, 2013
Fabulous, off-beat love story/triangle. The film as also a series of music videos, with compositions by Giorgio Moroder and others. Excellent overall.
December 1, 2012
Very cheesy, dated and silly, but it also has lots of funny moments and an awesome soundtrack; many of the songs are accompanied with incredible (for the time) CGI imagery.

3/5 stars
½ August 25, 2012
Found myself watching this the other day. Although it had some charm, the whole movie was a total mess. I found the tone annoyingly inconsistent - wasn't quite sure if it wanted to be a comedy or a drama, or perhaps another technophobia flick we typically see in the sci-fi genre (e.g. "I, Robot" or "2001: A Space Odyssey"). It's a shame that the soundtrack was wasted on such a disappointing movie. If you're watching this, either watch for the soundtrack alone or for some appreciation of the decade known as the 80s.
August 11, 2012
The film is basically like if someone made a list of all my interests, and then made a film about it, and then soundtracked it with some EXCELLENT pop music.
June 7, 2012
did this make DVD yet?? anyone??!