Escape from New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape from New York Reviews

½ May 8, 2016
Would love this movie just for the cool soundtrack. But apart from that, a very cool action movie, one of those heroes you could love.
½ April 3, 2016
Bleak view of the prison system in the future, 1997 to be correct. I did laugh at the time line for the film considering it's 2016 and the film states now. Snake isn't the toughest guy around but he knows how to get the job done. Russell and Carpenter are a great team, a shame most of their work never generated box office results. The film is grim from beginning to end and has that 80s vibe throughout. Like most Carpenter films you are provided a score that is very unique to the film. If you dig Carpenter films you'll definitely dig this
April 3, 2016
Per usual, Carpenter does a lot with very little and while the set-up is pure Sci-Fi B movie material there's a complex cynicism to the characters and plot that elevates the whole thing above simple schlock.
½ March 17, 2016
Classic type of action movie from John Carpenter. It starts out very slow and boring, but once you're in the climax in the action and blood get's in, you won't be bored! Once thing i do have to say about this flick is that the film can get dark, because it's shot at night and there doesn't seem to be much lighting, so you can't always see everything. But overall, it's a decent action flick, and Kurt Russell really defines it. Recommended !!
½ March 12, 2016
Yeah this movie's famous why?
March 2, 2016
I don't get it. This movie was painful. I've heard so many good things, Solid Snake is based on Plissken, and there's a cast full of wonderful faces (Russell, Borgnine, Isaac Hayes, Angel Eyes, Ernst Stavro Blofield), but that was horribly dull and coincidental. I don't know if Plissken actually did anything of note the entire movie. Everyone knows who he is and talks up his reputation, but he shuffles about the movie while all the people and things he seeks are bandied about by the other characters until things work out perfectly (besides lots of deaths). Rotten.
March 1, 2016
Why have I not seen this! Love The Thing and They Live
½ February 19, 2016
I've wanted to see Escape From New York for the longest time. The merchandise has been everywhere, the legends have been told, and my excitement has always been on the rise. Already, many of you will have already figured out where this is going, and not just because you read the posted score before reading the review. Escape From New York was an alright movie. I don't see why everyone loves Snake so much when it's obvious that Cabbie was the best character in the film. I mean, there was really no other option. It certainty wasn't Donald Pleasance's character as the President that I could absolutely not stand. I will say though that there were parts of this film that I very much enjoyed. The atmosphere and soundtrack reminded me of The Warriors which is always a big positive, and I will always be down to watch anything related to Ox Baker. The man was one of the craziest and most intimidating pro wrestlers of all-time and he put on a great performance in his limited time on screen. I definitely see how people could fall in love with this movie but sadly it just didn't do it for me. A lot of the characters were irritating, the plot was ridiculous and the film just sort of trudged along for the majority of the time. I've heard from several people that Escape From LA is a vast improvement, so we shall see if it can live up to the praise that has been bestowed upon this franchise.
February 15, 2016
Ridiculous movie. Dreadful to watch. I love "Halloween" by John Carpenter but this movie he did was horrible.
February 9, 2016
My favourite Carpenter
January 31, 2016
I love Kurt Russell and I love John Carpenter but I don't love this...could have been so much better but it just fell flat for me.
½ January 23, 2016
'Escape From New York' is a western at heart, but it fully embraces its dystopian setting. It's a large scale adventure in which the viewer, much like the hero, is thrust into a gritty, dilapidated urban America that gives way to some great social commentary. Plus, Snake Plissken became one of the great action heroes, and that couldn't have happened without Kurt Russell.
January 17, 2016
I thought you were dead.
The name's, Snake!
January 11, 2016
An enjoyable film to watch, watching it in 2015 makes the film look a bit strange and to some boring or whatever but it's an interesting story. Kurt Russell is great as Snake and is the cynical type of anti-hero. If you like Blade Runner or Mad Max then you will like this film.
½ January 7, 2016
hated Donald Pleasance as the President, insulting and degrading. Pleasance was an interesting guy in real life, but i hated this portrayal of the President.
January 1, 2016
A fast paced, cheesey ride with Kurt Russell being a badass and saving the day, and while it's a little shaky, it's well worth it.
December 30, 2015
Film culte s'il en est, New York 1997 mérite totalement cette distinction pour tout ce qu'il a inspiré et entraîné. Le cinquième film de John Carpenter est particulièrement intéressant dans son atmosphère quasiment post-apocalyptique. Malheureusement, on ne reste que 90 minutes à l'intérieur de cette forteresse à ciel ouvert et cela ne laisse que trop peu de temps à Carpenter et Castle pour inventer des péripéties démentielles à Kurt Russell, au top de sa forme en Snake Plissken. On en demande plus, toujours plus et on ne peut qu'être un peu déçu lors que les crédits déroulent. Cependant, ne serait-ce que pour Lee van Cleef, Isaac Hayes et Ernest Borgnine en seconds rôles, New York 1997 est un film définitivement réussi.
December 18, 2015
Uno degli anti eroi più iconici del cinema non mi ha colpito molto.
La trama è inesistente, c'è della critica alla società americana dell'epoca e New York è ritratta come un carcere gigantesco (non molto lontano dalla realtà dell'epoca quando NY era una delle città più violente d'America). Il tutto però lo trovo impacchettato un po' alla buona, anche se alcuni effetti scenici sono ben fatti, soprattutto alla luce del basso budget a disposizione
½ December 15, 2015
This is probably the last thing I should be promoting in the age of endless remakes, reboots and sequels but 'Escape from New York' would benefit from a modern re-adaptation since the premise for an action flick is very intriguing but I was found yearning for visual excitement on a higher scale.
December 4, 2015
35%
Saw this on 26/9/15
Yet another stupid fucking overrated American movie. The only thing that glued my eyes onto the screen was Adrienne Barbeau's tits. If not for a few CGI effects, mildly enjoyable Kurt Russel and some liveliness towards the last quarter of the film, it would have been a total waste. The film even lacks the trace of a plot.