Escape from New York Reviews

• Aug 02, 2019

Not my favorite Carpenter film. I like him and Russell, but this was honestly not that interesting and quite boring in parts. The action was nothing blow away and overall despite the unique concept this was disappointing.

• Jul 20, 2019

It's no secret that John Carpenter is the master of atmosphere. And here he's at the top of his game. He symbolizes the actual pulse of the viewer, as well as the characters' pulses in the film, through this simple, yet dramatic heartbeat pulse sound. The murky dystopian atmosphere that every single scene in the movie is drenched in is also quite convincing. This is probably would make many people angry, but I couldn't help but feel that this film might have an influence on Ridley Scott's masterpiece, Blade Runner! Unfortunately, I was bored to death watching Escape from New York, for many reasons. First and foremost, the film is cheesy and slow-buring a the same time, and I just couldn't digest that. Hence, I found the movie very silly and slow-paced for its own good. Secondly, all of the characters are extremely flat, including the bad-ass protagonist, Snake Plissken. Kurt Russell is not to blame, though. He's as cool as always. The rest of the cast also did a good job. I digged the characters of Maggie and Brain, though. I liked how untrustworthy and unreliable they are. Thirdly, the plot is underdeveloped, unoriginal and stretched out. That made me feel that the film never ends despite its short runtime. I know it's an unpopular opinion, and the fans may get so pissed off. But unlike all the other Caprenter films, I really didn't enjoy this at all. (5/10)

• Jun 10, 2019

I love this movie! I first saw it when I was a young child and I was hooked after just a few minutes of watching and now this is my favorite movie of all time!

• Apr 21, 2019

A good classic sci-fi film that feels more dated than some of Carpenters other work. Escape From New York is a good movie, but it is not the best sci-fi movie out there. It will keep viewers entertained and it is worth your money but, some scenes feel a little dated and, at times, cheesy. It has memorable characters but they aren't very developed so when some of them die it doesn't really leave a lasting impact of the audience. It is an interesting concept and it is well directed and thought out, but falls a little flat in some categories. Basically, it is a good film, but it doesn't hold up very well.

• Apr 20, 2019

Escape from New York is a 1981 film directed by John Carpenter who would later go on to direct The Thing. The film stars Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken and Lee Van Cleef as Hauk. The acting was strong from the entire especially Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken. I felt that he brung a mysterious, but fun vibe to the character. The characters were enjoyable and portrayed very well. I also especially liked Isaac Hayes as The Duke. The film has sound cinematography with some very good shots of the scenery. Personally I love prison settings and I'm glad to say that I loved this one. The setting keeps the characters on their feet at all times and allows for some interesting characters. The set design and props for the film are exemplary. The amount of detail that went into making New York I thought was amazing all the way down to the smallest detail. The film also had some interesting costumes from the character Romero to character The Duke. The style of the film I personally really like from the neon colour design to the bleak colour design. The film also has some very good for the time practical and special effects. The action though far and between is very strong and kept me entertained. The editing though good did get a little choppy at points, but luckily it doesn't take away from the experience of the film. The music like most John Carpenter films I personally very much liked and felt that it fit with the film very well. The story follows Snake a man who is being sent to New York which is now a prison on the count of robbery. Until the president gets kidnapped within the walls of New York. It's now up to Snake to save the president so that he can be pardoned. The film also had some comedy which in my opinion worked and had me laughing out loud. The film also has a very strong atmosphere that lurks around the runtime of the film which always kept me on alert. In my opinion the film was very enjoyable and something that I will be watching again. Over all I give it a 8/10 - so close to a 9

• Apr 18, 2019

Escape from New York is a disappointing John Carpenter SF action flick with some solid technical aspects and an intriguingly dark atmosphere to it, but the plot and the characters are both thin and the movie is never as epic in scope or as entertaining in its action as it should have been.

• Apr 08, 2019

Can't believe I've missed this one all my life.. A new classic defenitely to be seen again.

• Mar 29, 2019

Legendary John Carpenter's "Escape From New York" is a cult classic starring Kurt Russell and Donald Pleasence in their peak of their careers. New York has been turned into a prison camp in the future and Snake (Kurt) must save the President (Donald) and needs to escape New York at the same time.

• Feb 14, 2019

Masterpiece. In the first era of the computer games, this is an amazing platform movie.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best thrilling sci-fi movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: Kurt Russell as Bob Plissken!