Eyewitness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eyewitness Reviews

October 28, 2017
A Real Old Fashioned Feast. 1 of James Woods first performances and he sadly seriously steals scenes from William. Great bit of conspiracy.
October 1, 2017
Boring, slow, gave up because I no longer cared whodunnit. This movie does stand the test of time. Pass.
June 19, 2017
Good enough to watch
½ June 22, 2015
A fun thriller with a tremendous cast, most of whom are at the peak of their powers. Hurt & Weaver are beautiful, and Freeman gets a stab at the role that would become his bread and butter in another 15 years.
June 7, 2013
William Hurt and Sigourney Weaver circa 1981-catch it on Netflix if you can!
March 1, 2013
A strange film with an excellent cast. Nice little 'Cats Eye' connection, too.
June 19, 2012
Anachronistically offensive in almost every respect but so uniquely bizarre that it some how emerges as a greater product than the sum the of its faulty parts. It's like watching a David Mamet's "Homicide" and John Hughes' "Pretty In Pink" concurrently.
February 28, 2012
The two divergent story lines failed to coalesce into anything like a coherent plot, but the odd and (perhaps) deep character development helped somewhat in overshadowing this glaring fault. Indeed, the movie seems more interested in showing us strange glimpses of the characters' (both main and minor) lives than actually developing the story. Although you could hardly call it a climax--in the sense that any rising action has brought us here--the final shootout in the stables is so absurd and delightfully irrelevant that one almost forgets how disappointing it is as the apparent destination of the film.
December 4, 2011
Fairly good acting but it was a bit strange.
November 30, 2011
A little seen but terrific thriller , with great performances by William Hurt & Sigourney Weaver. One of the best films of 1981.
November 3, 2011
Saw this over the antenna last night and remembered it from when i was 12 or 13. Saw with my grandpa on the old "the movie channel" when cable was still in early days. Good movie, a young William Hurt, Sigourny Weaver, James Woods, Morgan Freeman, and Christopher Plumber. Really enjoyed it!!
½ August 7, 2011
Great actors, and a great movie too;)) However, I didn't like the scene with the dog.
½ June 2, 2011
As far as I remember, is was called the Night Porter when released. Much enjoyable 1950's type thriller, with much lesser know Hurt and Freeman at the time.
½ June 1, 2011
This is classic style of thriller that keeps you guessing to who the criminal is. It's got a very strong cast, which in my opinion with their performances is the strength of the movie. Though the general acting style is of course different 30 years later, even back then some of it was considered too big for film. Prime examples are William Hurt and Christopher Plummer, where in my opinion the latter still has the style of a thespian 30 years previous. So they both contrast each other. But the plot is solid, and keeps it interesting. It does seem to drag on in certain scenes, and i question Sigourney Weaver's characters choices in her interacton with Will Hurt's character at first. A young Morgan Freeman is also very impressive, and overall it is a good enough film, and worth a watch.
½ April 24, 2011
Eyewitness is almost a good movie, with sensational performances throughout and a tightly woven mystery. Warring plots that never quite synthesize and a surprisingly virulent antisemetic streak keep it from being as great as its parts.
April 1, 2011
I'm really surprised. I remember this movie as being really good when I saw it 1981. Both Sigourney Weaver and William Hurt were new and sexy and I guess the setting was novel.
Thirty years later, the movie is almost incoherent, a quirky slice-of-American-life piece grafted awkwardly onto a political thriller with inexplicable coincidences, false clues and red herrings. James Woods is embarrassingly actorish and the shoot-out in the stables at the end is ridiculous. Sometimes it's a mistake to revisit the past.
January 11, 2011
Pas un chef d'oeuvre non! Mais un film très bien r (C)alis (C), toujours haletant, au d (C)coupage parfait, avec des personnages diff (C)rents, avec un choix des d (C)cors très justes, et des acteurs sans faute. D'un temps où même les films moyens (C)taient bons! Peter Yates ou un r (C)alisateur Hollywoodien!
January 10, 2011
A great mystery thriller with great actors, I really liked it and I recommend it.
½ October 28, 2010
An office building custodian leads a TV reporter whom he loves, to believe he knows more than he does about the murder of a tenant. This leads the real killer to believe that the custodian actually knows who the killer is, which puts his life in danger. It's a game of cops and killers, with some intrigue. With five good actors (Hurt, Weaver, Freeman, Woods and Plummer), although early in their careers, one would think this would be great film, but, unfortunately it isn't. Take it or leave it, doesn't matter.