The Far Country Reviews

• Sep 02, 2019

2nd best western of all time

2nd best western of all time

• Sep 10, 2018

A decent Western, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me. There wasn't a lot of action and I wasn't too fond of the main character. (First and only viewing - 9/9/2018)

• Aug 08, 2017

Randy Tippy's correct observation that this is an "oddly written" Western would be more accurate as "queerly written". How is it that I'm the only person who sees what this film is really about? Ben is in love with Jeff. This isn't speculation. Borden Chase wrote "I have always believed that a man can actually love and respect another man more so than he can a woman." This is seen in Ben's intense affection for Jeff. (If Jeff weren't so emotionally cool, he'd probably tell Ben to get lost.) Jeff returns the affection when, on three occasions, he lights Ben's pipe and shoves it in his mouth! If there's any doubt, consider that the very last shot is a close-up of the symbol of Ben's love for Jeff, a tinkling bell, dangling from Jeff's pommel. "The Far Country" is is a great example of subtext. Indeed, the title refers not only to Alaska, but to emotionally intimate male relationships.

• Paris S Super Reviewer
    Oct 09, 2015

A great go of some above average character acting, a surprisingly great crusty anti-hero portrayal from James Stewart, and a sizzling plot which unfolds at a nice place- and that's all The Far Country is. I'm surprised this film has received so much praise; there are better westerns that have garnered far less praise than The Far Country, in my opinion, like the often overlooked Bend of the River.

• Aug 20, 2015

Really good western, which has James Stewart playing a really unlikable Anti-hero, who only cares about himself, and doesn't really care to do the right thing.

• Jun 04, 2015

I can starve a little but I can't go without coffee! Jeff Webster and Ben Tatum are resourceful men. Jeff is quick with the gun but is only out for himself. There is a gold rush in the Klondike and Jeff and Ben see money in bringing them cattle. They make a fortune selling the cows and can now settle down and make a home. Jeff prefers to be on his own, but when he sees his paying customers being taken advantage of by a Baron of sorts, he may turn over a new leaf. "I'm going to hang you but I'm going to like you." Anthony Mann, director of El Cid, Winchester '73, The Glenn Miller Story, The Fall of the Roman Empire, Serenade, and The Naked Spur, delivers The Far Country. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and has some unique characteristics. The characters are well written and wonderfully executed. The cast includes James Stewart, Walter Brennan, Harry Morgan, and Ruth Roman. "They take this lying down?" "Well, aren't we?" Far Country was recommended to me by Fios so I DVR'd it off Encore Western. This was a fun film to watch unfold. There wasn't a ton of action but definitely some great dialogue from Stewart. His character goes through a strange evolution and becomes very dynamic. I thought he executed this role well. This is worth a viewing. "We got a killer on board." Grade: B-

• Mar 04, 2015

a very good movie filmed in Jasper National Park Alberta nice horses to.

a very good movie filmed in Jasper National Park Alberta nice horses to.

John B Super Reviewer
    Dec 20, 2013

Jimmy Stewart and the rest of the cast are absolutely fantastic in this "northern" rather than a "western". It is a great Sunday afternoon popcorn movie full of larger than life characters and Hollywood legends at their finest.

• Jul 07, 2013

Another lost flixster rating?

Another lost flixster rating?

• Jun 06, 2013

another dark psychological western from the director who started it all anthony mann