Fire and Ice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fire and Ice Reviews

½ December 29, 2012
The plot lacks originality and the animation is one of the worst I have ever seen. Although there are a few okay things in the film, especially the character Darkwolf, these things never make up for the general Q-level of the film.
½ December 14, 2012
A beautiful but generic animated fantasy who's only draw back is the distraction created by differing art styles when comparing character desgins and back drops.
December 11, 2012
This is just a plain awesome film. It's one of best fantasy sorcery films that I have seen, liked it even more than Heavy Metal. I love the look of the animation, it's very similar to Heavy Metal. It's all just pure fantasy, pure fun and I just love these kinds of movies. This is my idea of what a fantasy movie should be like.
November 18, 2012
Seeing a Frazetta inspired world in motion is a sight to behold despite the heavy dependance on rotoscoping. There is very little plot and even that is excessively drawn out and padded with repetitive chase scene after chase scene.
September 10, 2012
I love Bakshi, and hate Frazetta. So... interesting, but not for me.
September 7, 2012
Some great animation but the story just doesn't hold up to Bakshi's other films. Plus the PG rating really makes it feel like he's holding back so much; this movie seems like it wants to be really sexy and violent, but just can't be, which makes some of it a bit frustrating.
½ August 31, 2012
Good animation with a simple, but decent story. Lonewolf is pretty cool, too. The downsides being the characters aren't too memorable and there's a lot of very distracting fanservice.
July 29, 2012
An hour and a half of Frazetta drawing's coming to life is really not that bad, even if it has been described as an overly long He-Man episode.
July 4, 2012
same old bakshi, slow at times and very odd but always looks cool
½ May 13, 2012
It was a fun watch, simple to follow. Interesting animation, sorta set in like the stone age.
April 7, 2012
Excellent movie. One of my favorite movies as a kid. This isn't a Disney type cartoon by any means. There's a lot of action. The characters and the art are very interesting.
March 31, 2012
I think I've stated this before, but I'm not an enormous fan of Ralph Bakshi's work. I'm more fascinated than anything. I consider him the Stanley Kubrick of animated films. What I mean by that is the supposed freedom he had to make pretty much whatever he wanted containing whatever content he felt was necessary for it, AND that the studios supported it. So yeah, I find it fascinating. Fire and Ice is probably a bit more tame compared to films like Heavy Traffic and Coonskin. It's a fantasy film in the sort of same vein as The Lord of the Rings, even though it doesn't feel all that fresh or different. It's not a bad film, but it doesn't really bring much new to the table. It's not socially-conscious, it contains mostly the same animated techniques as his other films and it feels stale story-wise. Having said all that, it still works. The backgrounds are beautifully-drawn, the voice acting is quite excellent and the designs are pretty well-executed. I dig it, I must say. It's definitely not for everyone, but then again, Ralph Bakshi's work never is.
March 26, 2012
This is just like He-Man: Masters of the Universe, only slower. Also a mix of Conan the Barbarian in there. The plot was fairly lacking with not a very good job on character building, but it does seem to be a cult favorite.
FilmFanatik
March 24, 2012
½ March 12, 2012
Only for die hard Frank Frazetta fans. The backgrounds are magnificent. The remainder is mediocre at best.
½ March 12, 2012
Imagine a Heavy Metal comic come to life...and it's good!
March 6, 2012
its like lotr, but better, trust. great angles.
March 3, 2012
Felt like I was watching an old master's of the universe cartoon, the animation was so old school but I kind of dug it. It was pretty violent for a PG cartoon made in the early 80s some guy got stabbed in the chest with an axe in the first 10 mins, some decent action an enjoyable story, was kind of cool.
½ February 5, 2012
The evil Necron wants to wipe out all the man-kini wearing He-Men, and unleash a giant glacier on the
unsuspecting populace. (How somebody can unleash a slow moving glacier nobody can get out of the way of or, not see coming, I don't know.) Anyway, awkwardly this appears all very sexually painful looking when Necron casts his glacier magic and what appears to be a money shot is replaced by ice reaching up into the sky and cracking open with a bit too much excitement. When one perfectly tanned white man survives with his groin intact (Taro), he fights off hordes of similarly clad cro-magnon Native Americans and saves a woman (Teegra) with a similarly tiny mini-kini from Fire Keep. (Apparently their females have an amazing power- wearing incredible bikinis that never come off, give us a nip-shot or get dirty and torn. Their men all pass for dead ringers for Conan the Barbarian, and have a talent for very little screen time.) Necron in the end decides he doesn't want peace, and we're left to assume it's because he doesn't look good in a man-kini or can be passed off as the afformentioned Conan double. Then all hell breaks loose when a Native American Batman who rides a teradactyl and appears to be the only one who can wield a weapon, axes all of the cro-mags to death.
As the glaciers come closer to Fire keep, will Necron somehow force anybody to wear more than a loin cloth? Teegra to Lorem: "I'm cold." Lorem: "THEN PUT ON SOME FREAKING CLOTHES WOMAN." Only the incredibly tini-kini can tell... What's the solution? Let's have the good guys unleash lava and destroy the ice, and everything else while we're at it! Yeah! (As the lava rolls over the countryside and into the jungle, we're treated to the nice touch of squealing, burning monkeys.) Then society will start over! What in the hell of rotoscoping did I just watch?
January 30, 2012
YEAH! You can't beat the 80's style animations! Not as good as "Heavy Metal" but still pretty cool. If you like old style animations definitely check this out. As a side note I'm pretty sure He-Man was based off of Larn, and pretty sure that Skeletor was based off of Nekron. Seriously watch it and tell me they don't look like carbon copies. lol Fun movie though.