The Fly Reviews

• 19h ago

I never understood why anyone thought this was a good movie. It's a silly remake of a 50s classic with Vincent Price. I highly recommend watching the original. The remake has bad acting, a weak script and is totally predictable. It relies on some gross out scenes for content and that is supposed to be great cinema? Watch the original!

• Mar 04, 2020

What do I think of this movie!? I don't think. This movie is 5 stars on every level. Acting, direction, (even the music comes together by the end), special effects! Characters with arcs! Existential dread! It's so believable and dramatic all at once. The Fly is an amazing movie.

• Feb 19, 2020

It's good movie, I'd recommend it.

It's good movie, I'd recommend it.

• Feb 17, 2020

The Fly opens so suddenly and so efficiently that I'm surprised that not a lot of films have tried to emulate it. It's very effective. And this kind of paring down to what is essentially a three character play, evidenced in the excising of several melodramatic and cliche deleted scenes, leaves a lean, clean tragic character based dramatic horror. Goldblum plays easily one of his best roles, a buff, likeable and charming scientist, a refreshing change to the nerd introvert scientist that is quite a widespread accepted sort of prejudiced cliche to this day. Geena Davis is a bit wavy but she has an infectious ease and some real standout punchy believable moments. The emphasis on building character makes for lovely little moments of intimacy; the scene in the market with the jewellery callback where he tells her he loves her is a particularly memorable moment. Cronenberg places his leads in scenes and environments that feel very realistic and believable, the bar, the diner, the Party, it all helps sell the realism inbetween the gonzo parts. Especially the close ups of these well lit characters that sets these interesting people on their stage. The slow transition,the way the fly comes in and Goldblum transforms, is almost a thing of beauty. It's Masterful, this sort of sad, smart homunculus emerges. With rip roaring effects, Cronenberg's typical steady eye and some brilliant music, The Fly is clearly a classic that holds up completely. It's got its share of problems; The accelerated romance between leads is symptomatic of those cut scenes. And we spend way too much time with that smug irredeemable yuppie sex pest for ages. So the economical theatre feel makes the film easy to rewatch but also makes the work feel slight, with no real reason to go reaching for it regularly. But I can imagine this film working well with a crowd or at a horror film festival.

• Jan 27, 2020

I spent a lot of years being a hipster and trying to convince myself this wasn't Cronenberg's best, championing his lesser known films, but there is just no denying it anymore. This is his masterpiece. It's extremely unsettling, featuring probably the best example of what body-horror has to offer, while also being a hauntingly tragic love story. Be afraid, be very afraid.

• Jan 25, 2020

Another sad remake of a good movie. It pales in the shadow of Vincent Price's version. It does give a few changes from the original, better, movie, but they are just tweaks to give a different tangent made possible with relatively more modern special effects. The accident that causes the transformation is somewhat different but ultimately the same results. Goldblum was a poor choice as the main actor. He sounds the same in every movie that he is in. He throws around a tirade of 'sophisticated'/'science' words to make the pseudo-intellectuals think that he is smart and the movie is cutting edge. Goldblum is just mechanical, he does not act well. This movie throws in the blood and gore hollywood is using for 'entertainment' for the visceral crowd that aspires to violent and base behavior. Save yourself 95 minutes of wasted life that you will not get back and pass on this movie.

• Jan 10, 2020

The actors match the characters perfectly. Its really gory and grosse but its still quite a good horror/sci fi movie. The storyline is quite interesting.

• Dec 28, 2019

Great 80s sci-fi gore and horror here. A+

Great 80s sci-fi gore and horror here. A+

• Dec 26, 2019

Old review, not new. Not final, either. A truly outstanding science fiction horror film, that creates empathy for the victim of a scientific experiment gone wrong, and makes the consequences seems fascinating, but also very sad.

• Dec 20, 2019

One of the best body horror films that has stood the test of time. (A-)

One of the best body horror films that has stood the test of time. (A-)