The Fog - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fog Reviews

October 26, 2017
A let down. I didn't find this especially scary or even that interesting. 2 stars
½ October 19, 2017
Solid old school thriller-horror film. The remake was just as good.
October 19, 2017
It was okay but a bit boring, not one of Carpenter's best.
½ October 7, 2017
I've gone back and forth about how I feel about John Carpenter's The Fog. First and foremost, I am not a huge fan of this man's work, but I like a lot of movies that he's made. This has never really been one of the them, but I've warmed up to it a little bit more since I first saw it. At the time, I thought it was mediocre at best, and that actually showing the murderous pirate ghosts was probably not the best idea in the world. It seemed less scary that way. I still feel that way, but I like it a little more now than I did then, mainly because I now know what a low budget John Carpenter had to work with on this one, and he still made a somewhat effective film. It's still not a terrific film, but it fares a little better with me today. The cast is probably my favorite thing about it, having a John Carpenter all-star line-up of talent on display. Virtually every person that's ever been in a John Carpenter film is in this. It's a bit of a spooky movie, but I think respect it more than I actually enjoy it.
September 26, 2017
I refuse to watch the remake. This is the only Fog I need.
½ September 18, 2017
Not bad for an old movie.
September 16, 2017
A good old fashioned ghost story told with verve (if predictability) by Mr. Carpenter. An old dirty deed returns to haunt the scene of the crime, the grandchildren of the criminals. Can they right the wrong before the dead bodies pile up even more? Carpenter keeps it all about the atmosphere and that works considerably. His handling of the music is reminiscent of another horror classic he helmed, and so will be familiar to his fans. Not bad stuff overall. John Houseman begins the piece with the only true understanding of how a ghost story should be told though. Interestingly, two, count 'em, two scream queens (a double-feature if you will), and not one needless titty shot in the whole piece.
August 19, 2017
i hated the annoying DJ in this movie
June 23, 2017
The Fog is an excellent film. It is about the legend that says that Antonio Bay was built in 1880 with blood money obtained from shipwrecked lepers, which no one believes. Jamie Lee Curtis and Janet Leigh give amazing performances. The script is well written. John Carpenter did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the thrills. The Fog is a must see.
June 4, 2017
its john carpenter what more do you need
May 31, 2017
I just watched "The Fog" for the first time ever and I have to say it was an okay movie. I found that it was a little slow at times and some things where predictable but at the same time it kept me interested throughout the movie. The actors all did a great job and the ending of the film was good.
May 31, 2017
May 14, 2017
To bad most horror movies today are not like this.
½ May 8, 2017
John Carpenters ode to ghost stories. Reminiscent of old black and white horror flicks of the drive in era. It's a creepy good time, highly recommended.
April 10, 2017
Exceptional film. Cheesy at times, however keeps the twists and turns in what is a very good film
April 6, 2017
Saw this on a foggy night when I was 14, I didn't sleep well that night!
March 17, 2017
It's as ludicrous as you'd expect - the menacing fog is rolling in! Of course, I was hoping for something a bit more kitschy from John Carpenter in 1980. Even his typical propulsive score is mostly absent, exchanged for some jazz played by Adrienne Barbeau's dj character or some more brooding ominous sounds. The fog is rolling in! More specifically, inside the fog are some gruesome zombie-like 100-year dead ghosts with nasty hooks who are looking for the descendants of those who killed them back in the day at the very founding of this California town. But everything is too slow and the stars (including Jamie Lee Curtis, her mum Janet Leigh, Hal Holbrook, Barbeau and some relative unknowns) have to strain to look frightened. Barbeau seems to know in advance what's going on for no real reason (she is up in her radio station lighthouse broadcasting warnings) - so, a few plot holes too. It looks good on blu-ray but I wouldn't say it has much else going for it. Carpenter has better films from which to choose.
November 16, 2016
If there's one thing John Carpenter always gets right, it's the way he consistently creates an unnerving atmosphere. In The Fog, Carpenter does this once again, turning a sleepy coastal town into an almost dreamlike setting as the mysterious titular fog slowly engulfs the town in grey. Not unlike Jaws a few years prior, Carpenter keeps the horror shrouded and hidden from view: what lurks behind the fog is largely left to the imagination, which always works for the horror genre. Carpenter masterfully frames each shot, with everything in frame being there for a reason: in fact, Dean Cundey's cinematography is expansive and vast, even for such a contained film. Even better, it's not just unnerving without any substance: an eerie opening scene of John Houseman's character delivering the backstory of the fog sets up everything that's yet to come, and gives the film an appropriate sort of campfire story flair to it. Where The Fog stumbles is in the character department. The characters encountering the fog are never developed very fully, making them kind of hard to find any relatability or sympathy in aside from the fact that we know we're supposed to. Carpenter has never been a very character-driven director, but it's a bit disappointing that the same amount of thought that went into the worldbuilding of the film didn't seem to go into the characters and their personalities. Fortunately, this isn't quite enough to bring down The Fog as an overall product: the master of horror is simply too masterful to allow for that.
November 2, 2016
Atmospheric ghost story that might not make you jump out of your seat every 5 minutes, but it has mood and creepiness to spare. The cast is fantastic, featuring Carpenter alums like Jamie Lee Curtis, Adrienne Barbeau, Nancy Loomis, and Tom Atkins, as well as Hollywood legends like Hal Holbrook, Janet Leigh, and John Housman. Beautiful photography by Dean Cundey and a spine tingling music score by John Carpenter help make this one of the best "modern" ghost stories I've seen. Highly recommended.
October 21, 2016
A highly underrated horror gem by the great John Carpenter. So many great scenes and the score is one of Carpenter's best.

Delivers relentless unpretentious thrills from beginning to end.