Fortress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fortress Reviews

June 27, 2015
A part of a lot of adolescent lives, especially mine. A Scary & very dark Aussie thriller. This film really pushed the boundaries of how children are treated onscreen. It may be disturbing for some viewers but it's still a really well done, tense film. It's not only thrilling, but scary. Especially Father Christmas.
February 24, 2015
great movie five *****
½ April 21, 2013
This has really stuck in my mind throughout the years. I saw it as a kid during a weekend of free pay TV. I'm dying to see it again.
½ February 6, 2013
Saw this as a kid at a neighbor's house and thought it was ok then. Last time I saw it about a few years ago it really did not hold up.
November 11, 2012
What an amazing Aussie film this is.

I remember watching this time after time with my brother and sister when I was young and felt a real attachment to it.

The film just flows from start to finish. The characters are introduced well and once Father Christmas, the Duck, the Mouse and the Cat show up in their masks it goes full throttle but somehow the pace just increases time and time again, the film has about 20 gears!

I got hold of this a few years back and started watching it about 11pm, I knew I had to get up early for work but was just so excited to see it again and boy, it was just how I remembered it, if not better!

I really cannot recommend this film highly enough. If you love a thriller, you will not be disappointed by Fortress.
April 27, 2012
They don't make em' like this anymore!! Fortress is an Aussie film which was inspired by the infamous Faraday school kidnapping in the early 70s. A teacher and her students from a small country school are kidnapped by 4 masked gunmen. They're shoved into a panel van and then forced into a remote cave. Up until this point the story is pretty much as it really happened, however, writer Everette DeRoche does what he does best and spins the rest of the story into a great little genre peice with the teacher and her kids escaping the cave via an underground water system. They walk for kilometers before finding a farm house, only to realise that the kidnappers have taken the owners hostage also. Its a really creepy movie and there aren't too many movies like it. The masked men are pretty scary characers and the violence towards the end is horrifying **** SPOILER **** The teacher and students hack and dismember one of the kidnappers in a most brutal way. I wonder if this scene inspired Guilmero Del Toro's The Devil's Backbone? Anyhow, its a great movie. Rachel Ward's acting leaves a lot to be desired but the themes and delivery of the story is totally enthrawling. Another gem from Everette De Roche... a national icon in my opinion.
½ March 15, 2012
Made for TV movie, underrated. You ser kids actually killing men to survive.
½ February 7, 2012
I saw this film as a kid and have yet to be able to find it anywhere today.
It's disturbingly real and terrifying ordeal of a story, make it something that all fans of Wolf Creek would thoroughly enjoy.
½ September 25, 2011
great suspense and wicked interaction between the soundtrack and the sound effects, coolness!
½ August 29, 2011
Despuà (C)s de muchos años por fin di con ella! espero poderla volver a ver =D
July 26, 2011
Used to love this as a kid, didn't realise it got so violent at the end!
½ June 19, 2011
I read this in school, then saw the film. Rather freaky, actually.
½ April 4, 2011
I had some found memories of this movie as a child of the 1980â??s. It was a scary and thrilling survival movie about kidnapped school children. Most memorable were the Santa, duck, cat, and mouse masks worn by the abductors. I started to think about this movie again while watching 127 Hours as both are survival flicks that involve rock/cave formations. I was also eager to show my wife this movie since she likes crime thrillers. Outside of the campy music and sound effects, this film really holds up as a solid story. Well, the final scene was kind of campy, but not out of place. Itâ??s a solid hard to find movie worth watching if youâ??re in the mood for an 80â??s thriller.
January 20, 2011
I'd seen this film a few times as a child on HBO back in the late 80's, and it always stuck with me. Too bad the title of the film wasn't one of the things that stuck as well, because for years I'd been trying to find out what movie it was. I lucked out a few months ago and finally watched it again yesterday. FORTRESS is a little known/unseen gem from Australia involving a teacher and her students who are suddenly kidnapped by a gang of gun-toting, mask-wearing criminals and taken out to the remote wilderness. Of course more happens, but I don't want to give away the chain of events which leads to one of the best endings involving children. Of course being 25 years old there's some things that are outdated and make you laugh but the overall feeling of fear throughout the film is still there as is the suspense. A movie with this subject matter involving children would never get made today. They sure don't make them like this anymore.
½ December 24, 2010
U nekoj zabacenoj australijskoj selendri nekakvi maskirani kriminalci kidnapuju uciteljicu i ucenike u namjeri da traze otkup i obogate se. Nakon nekoliko neuspjesnih pokusaja bijega, tokom kojih nekoliko ljudi nastrada, uciteljica i djeca odlucuju da je dosta bilo i zabarikadiraju se u nekoj pecini s namjerom da se obracunaju sa zlocincima jednom za svagda.

Film je snimljen po knjizi koja je in turn zasnovana na istinitom dogadjaju. Scenario je pisao legendarni Everett De Roche i to je ubjedljivo najbolji dio filma, koji nazalost nije ispracen dovoljno kvalitetnom rezijom i glumom. Primjera radi, kriminalci nisu dovoljno ozbiljni i ne izgledaju kao pretjerano gadna prijetnja, likovi rijetko izgledaju dovoljno isprepadani jezivom situacijom u kojoj se nalaze itd. a precesto scenom dominira neprikladno vesela muzika.

Uzevsi u obzir te i jos neke druge primjedbe, film je samo vrlo solidan. Peh je sto je scenario takav da naprosto priziva Sema Pekinpoa za kormilom. Da je doticni genije rezirao ovaj film, mark my words, to bi bilo nesto sto bi nacisto oduvalo Pse od slame. Naravno, to je samo SBBKBB, posto je doticni genije odlucio da se upokoji nekoliko godina ranije. Inace, siguran sam da bi ubistva bila mnogo krvavija i prijetnja naglasenija, a bogme bi se i nesto konkretnije uradilo sa onom opipljivom seksualnom tenzijom koja postoji izmedju uciteljice i najstarijeg ucenika.

Kraj filma je nesto najbolje na svijetu. Iako je najupecatljivija scena (sa teglom) zapravo cisti visak, ono sto vidimo prije toga cini da pomislite kako ste zapravo cijelo vrijeme gledali horor a da toga niste bili ni svjesni.

I samo da dodam jos nesto: Kakve budale rimejkuju savrseni LONG WEEKEND, a ne diraju jedan ovakav film koji je pun potencijala za kvalitetan rimejk?
½ August 4, 2010
OMG this movie scared me to death as a kid. Definately the guy with the duck mask. Creepy!
June 7, 2010
This is possibly the funniest movie I have ever seen.
April 11, 2010
An intelligent and fun "kidnapping thriller" set in the Austrailian outback...lots of chills as the masked men that have kidnapped a school teacher and her students, continue to make mistakes while terrorizing them all...finally, the kidnapped revolt in a "Lord of the Flys" explosion and take this tv movie to the next level of creepiness...the music adds to the "creep" factor here and kept me interested to the end...oh...and you must stay to the end too.
March 29, 2010
Pretty weird. Reminded me of Beautiful Creatures, but that's probably just because it's sort of quaint and based in Australia. A creepy '80s ending.