Frankie and Johnny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frankie and Johnny Reviews

July 6, 2016
You will have good luck with the red heads...

Johnny is a riverboat entertainer and degenerate gambler that never wins at anything. One night a fortune teller informs him his luck will change when he finds a red head. The fortune comes true and Johnny feels he has found true love in lady luck; however, his girlfriend, Frankie, does not believe the fortune teller's tale is Johnny's true path.

"How much did you lose tonight?"
"How much did I have?"

Frederick De Cordova, director of After the Honeymoon, I'll Take Sweden, Peggy, Here Comes the Nelsons, Illegal Entry, Wallflower, and Always Together, delivers Frankie and Johnny. The storyline for this picture is above average and contains dynamic and well portrayed characters. The acting is more fun than you may expect and the cast includes Elvis Presley, Donna Douglas, Harry Morris, Nancy Kovack, and Robert Strauss.

"She is no gentlemen."

I randomly DVR'd this during a recent Elvis marathon on cable. This was better than some of his films I have watched. I was fairly entertained by this and enjoyed watching this movie unfold. There are some clever twists throughout the movie and some of the writing made me chuckle. Overall, this is worth seeing once for fans of the classics.

"In my next life I hope I'm not a girl."

Grade: C+
June 5, 2015
CAMPTASTIC Broadway awesomeness. THIS is exactly what you want out of a B-Elvis movie. All of the charm of a Gene Kelly flick with the nutty outfits of a Demy musical. It's a cute, simple character drama that doesn't over promise. If only the music was slightly better, this coulda been a full on 4 star film.
October 13, 2013
I enjoyed the cast in this one as Donna & Elvis worked well together but, the story could have been better.
September 17, 2012
It's one of his best movies
½ September 4, 2012
Une autre comédie musicale avec Elvis Presley appréciable.
½ April 25, 2011
naspa melodiile si filmu
March 18, 2011
Fairly weak. There are much better Elvis movies.
½ March 4, 2010
No one tries very hard here. Weak script, no memorable songs, and actors who looked awful bored.
September 29, 2009
Recommend this one..in terms of looking in the life of a gambler...plus Elvis Presley was great in this movie.
August 23, 2009
Light, nothing deep but reasonably entertaining. Most of the songs aren't very memorable, but the cast is good, especially the supporting players. Colorful and lively.
August 23, 2009
July 27, 2009
Colourful comedy musical with 'The King' as a riverboat entertainer with an unfortunate addiction to gambling (as he loses all the time). Not one of his best, but not one of his worst!
June 15, 2009
I think I was a little miss lead by the synopsis on the box though. I thought she was seriously vindictive enough to knowingly do that to him. I liked the musical number the best, the one called Frankie and Johnny. It was cute and I like that they made fun of Harry Morgan singing, cuz let's face it, he's funny but not a singer.
½ May 7, 2009
This movie is not good in any way... which makes it better!
September 13, 2008
An uninspiring vehicle for Presley's music, there's not a lot of thought put into the plot or script.
½ July 26, 2008
he is super cool guy in this
jjnxn
July 22, 2008
Typical Elvis with Elly Mae Clampett yet, which actually adds to its kitsch value and makes it one you really have to see ONCE.
April 21, 2008
Eek! An Elvis Presley movie that I must never watch!!!
November 21, 2007
GREAT MOVIE AND IT IS SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!