Freeway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Freeway Reviews

February 18, 2015
Overall ‚??Freeway‚?? is not a bad movie: the concept of some crazy priest going on a killing spree is interesting enough. The flow of the movie is not bad either. The plot follows a classic scenario: protagonist suffers from the loss of a loved one due to the actions of an as yet unknown killer. Given the incapability and unwillingness of the authorities to solve the case, protagonist decides to investigate him/herself, possibly with the help of some (anonymous) fellow sufferer. The inevitable final confrontation promises some real fireworks. In ‚??Freeway‚??, the tension builds up slowly. First we see some of the gruesome murders and the religious ranting and raving (live on the radio!) that drives the killer, without getting a full view of his face. As a result of this, we might at one point suspect the wrong person. The director also made good use of the suspense contained in the shots of seemingly endless highways and cars beginning to evoke associations of ferocious monsters. The eighties elements (neon lights, shadows of venetian blinds, fashion of the time) didn‚??t ruin the atmosphere either, believe it or not. The plot could have been more interesting, though, if the priest had had clearer motivations for his killings, no matter how misguided. I would have preferred to see victims that had turned out to be (morally) guilty in some way or other, instead of just randomly-chosen innocents. And why did Heller operate on highways only, and not in any other area if he thought it were best to kill everybody in the world? In addition, I thought the Quinn (James Russo) character might have been left out: the plot would have been strong enough if it had focused on Sunny (Darlanne Fluegel) alone. Quinn is neither very relevant, nor very agreeable, for that matter. While watching ‚??Freeway‚??, I wondered if the writer of the Inspector Morse episode ‚??Fat Chance‚?? (1991) had seen this movie, for this also contains a misguided, mentally disturbed priest who might have been responsible for someone‚??s death. And he also has a room full of ominous religious attributes. Coincidence or not?
½ January 7, 2013
A psychopath spends his evenings shooting random drivers on a Los Angeles freeway. I've long suspected road rage is greater problem in LA than anywhere else. Police make little progress as the bodies pile up but do sarcastically thank a nurse numerous times who helps identify the killer on her spare time.
½ August 13, 2012
As if the gridlock on LA freeways wasn't bad enough, here we have a motorist shooting random drivers. When a nurse on her off time makes more headway on the investigation than the police, there are problems. Buckle up on this freeway and obey the traffic signs.
February 17, 2012
the traffic is murder.
July 10, 2011
If this was made in the 90s it woulda been good
½ February 11, 2011
For a 'B' movie this is very well done, despite the recognisable formula for this kind of thriller from the 80's (and obligatory saxophone moments in the music score!). It's a little let down by the final scene, but getting there is a good enough ride.
½ March 18, 2008
This is a killer psycho gets road rage B-movie. It's a lot like that awful "Highwaymen" flick with Jim Caviezel that came out in '03. While this is no gem it's much better then "Highwaymen." Billy Drago plays the crazed killer. Darlanne Fluegal plays a witness who got away. She ends up getting help from a cop (James Russo) who wants vengeance for his wife. Together the try to track the madman down as well as sparking up a romance with each other. Comedian/TV actor Richard Belzer plays a Howard Stern like radio host who, for ratings, has discussions on the air with the psychopath before, after, and sometimes during the killings. It's more of a 2 1/2 star movie because while not a very strong film it has a few descent parts that make it worth a watch.
September 11, 2007
OK movie. Could have been better. But still worth watching.
½ April 20, 2007
Plays more like a made for TV movie than a major motion picture. Far from the worst thing I've ever seen, but I've certainly seen a lot better.
April 6, 2007
Another underrated film from the 1980s. A great suspence-thriller film about a psychotic killer who is killing people on the freeway and a woman is helping a detective track him down, a great cast in this 1988 movie.
March 27, 2007