The Fury - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fury Reviews

½ April 30, 2016
It's alright. It doesn't really do anything with its plot and it often feels like they're shoehorning in three different movies: a straight thriller, a teenage supernatural drama, and a horror film (though that one only shows up at the end making things more confusing). It could have been a lot better.
April 2, 2016
Brian De Palma is one of my favorite directors. When he makes a classic, like "The Untouchables," "Carlito's Way" or "Blow Out," it is amazing, but even when he's behind a film that misfires, like "Bonfire of the Vanities," it's still interesting. "The Fury" falls somewhere in between on that spectrum. The film tells the story of a secret government organization using telepaths as assassins. When one telepath, Anderw Stevens, is kidnapped, his government agent father, Kirk Douglas, goes on a mission with a telepath he helped escape, Amy Irving, to find his son. On the negative side, the story is rather pulpy and felt like the film couldn't make up it's mind what genre it wanted to be, starting as a conspiratorial thriller like "The Parallax View" or "Winter Kills" then shifting to science fiction ALA "Dreamscape" or "Scanners" and then becomes essentially a horror picture along the lines of "The Omen" or "The Exorcist." Genre mashup films can certainly work and I actually love it when a film works that cannot be easily put into a box, but this film's story felt more like it just couldn't make up it's mind what kind of film it wanted to be. DePalma mixed horror and science fiction much better with his earlier film "Carrie." However, on the positive side, the film features a number of terrific De Palma-esque set pieces, and not all of the action sequences. My favorite is then where Irving escapes her captures with the help of Douglas, but the voureyistic opening scene along the beach boardwalk where Irving and her friend are being followed along the boardwalk is a close second. Also in the plus column is the presence of Kirk Douglas who is always great. I also enjoyed the Bernard Herrmann-esque score by John Williams. But it's really De Palma's cinematic flourishes and even his excesses, particularly the over-the-top finale, that make this film entertaining even if it is kind of a mess. Carrie Snodgress, John Cassavetes, Daryl Hannah (in her film debut), Dennis Franz, and Charles Durning also appear in the film.
½ January 11, 2016
3.5/4
Unusual, extremely effective Horror thriller dealing with a avenging father (Kirk Douglas) looking to find his son, and a telekinetic girl (Amy Irving) being looked up for sinister use. Douglas is excellent, and script is impressive, giving out many characters, balancing them well, with each villain more nastey than the last. It also throws an endless amount of surprises at the viewer. Criticism has been about the slight aspects of it all, though there's so many fascinating ideas it doesn't really matter; final sequence is a real stunner. Music score by John Williams.
October 29, 2015
saw it on tv. Stylish. but nsg. Amy Irving and Kirk Douglas. Brian DePalma
October 24, 2015
This is a crazy Brian DePalma film that you must see -well shot, totally weird story about two telekinetic teens aware of each other only through their shared power. I am not a fan of remakes, but this is one that could be remade to great effect.
August 15, 2015
No es Carrie, pero sí había alguien quien pudiera dirigir esta película es el mismo De Palma. Concreta, directa, estética, suspenso bien manejado con un reparto excelente, a la cabeza los legendarios Kirk Douglas y John Cassavettes. Un clásico más de un director igual de clásico, que por cierto guarda una sorpresa al final, siendo a mi criterio controversial, directo y... explosivo.
½ July 12, 2015
Convoluted and kind of dull. That was a big disappointment for me... What happened Depalma? Seems like he was trying (unsuccessfully) to duplicate his Carrie success...
January 1, 2015
The script is a little ragged in the first 30 minutes or so, but settles down afterwards, and although Brian DePalma is not quite at his peak yet, his style and mood is certainly recognisable in the direction and it's a fairly enjoyable mystery-horror.
December 1, 2014
A ridiculous piece of hokum that splices big budget horror, conspiracy thrillers and a generous helping of James Bond, with De Palma's obligatory big set pieces and an explosive (in more ways than one) finale
½ November 20, 2014
Thrilling and outlandish, suspenseful and campy, stylish but fantastical, "The Fury" was Brian De Palma's follow-up to the massively successful "Carrie"; in some ways, "The Fury"'s adventuresome aesthetic is more rollicking and fun than it deserves to be. De Palma seems to be completely aware that the film has a slightly silly premise, but instead of trying to play it cool and ignore the inefficiencies in the plot, he makes every scene more action-packed and sensational. The strokes are broad, but in the end, it's quite a Monet: from far away, it's superiorly impressive, even if it is a bit messy the closer you look.
While vacationing with his son, Robin (Andrew Stevens), and associate Childress (an excellently sinister John Cassavetes), Peter Sandza (Kirk Douglas) is shocked to find himself in the middle of a terrorist attack; a terrorist attack, it turns out, that has been staged by Childress in an elaborate attempt to kidnap Robin. Robin possesses strange telekinetic powers, powers that could act as a sort of nuclear weapon. Childress, being one of those all-too-authoritative government types, sees the potential.
In the meantime, a teenage girl, Gillian (Amy Irving), discovers that she has psychic powers that are eerily similar to Robin's. She enrolls at the Paragon Institute for Psychic Research in order to get in touch with her newfound identity. But just a few weeks after she arrives, she begins having a series of visions. In those visions, she finds that Robin, who she has never met, stayed at the Paragon Institute himself, and is in grave danger. The man behind it all? Childress.
"The Fury" has a good guy/bad guy theme at its front and center, and it works remarkably well. It's like James Bond vs. Goldfinger or Tippi Hedren vs. The Birds. The villain wants death and destruction, and in return, the main mission of the entire movie is to stop them. All we know is that Childress wants to utilize Robin and Gillian's powers for nefarious purposes, and that makes him absolutely terrifying.
The plot is convoluted and riddled with plot-holes, but De Palma gives us so much to look and feel at that we don't have time to process what we're watching. In a tastefully melodramatic escape, Gillian and Hester (Carrie Snodgress) run away from the Paragon Institute, with Peter waiting in an escape car. The entire scene is shot in slow motion, drawing out the tension and making every moment more precious. It's effective, even if it is slightly campy.
"The Fury" looks and feels like a standard thriller; its supernatural undertone makes the events even more exasperating because they're shot as if they could really happen. If there was ever an underdog director of the '70s, it'd be De Palma. "Carrie" is a great film, but his contributions to filmmaking are extraordinary. It's rare to have an artist that can make even the most routine movies turn into something exciting and new.
October 3, 2014
Absolutely some of the worst acting ever.
½ September 2, 2014
Tuesday, September 2, 2014

(1978) The Fury
SUSPENSE THRILLER/ HORROR

I like to think this movie inspired popular novelist Stephen King's 1979 "The Dead Zone" and then 1980 "Fire starter" since it was made one year earlier prior from the novel written for it's pessimistic view on psychic phenomenon, and would include "Carrie" in the mix since it's more of a horror film. The movie stars Kirk Douglas as Peter Sandza who's just been set up by a friend who happens to be working alongside a high ranking official for the exploitation of his son, Robin(Andrew Stevens) since he has psychic abilities. So Peter goes on an obsessive hunt to get his son back. And he can't do it without the help of another person who consists to have the same abilities as Robin. This person is Gillian Bellaver(Amy Irving) who's somehow locked up in an institution who can't control their psychic abilities. Carrie Snodgress also stars as Hester who happens to work in the same institution where Gillian is being treated in.

Aforementioned, it's strictly for fans of Brian DePalma but for others it leaves with many questions than it gives viewers any answers, such as viewers are not sure what kind of psychic abilities Robin and Gillian consist of since some is seeing a course of events between past and current, and they're other times they're able to levitate or move things. It is only known for being the first film to pave the way for serious psychic movies.

2 out of 4 stars
August 28, 2014
Melodramatic and slow with the combination - under the act of derivation - of John Wayne's "The Searchers" in the failed goal of plot and director Brian De Palma's previous telekinesis project "Carrie" with the blood. The effects of telekinesis on film was amazing at that time, but the amazement is covered by blood and melodrama. (B-)
July 24, 2014
89%

I love old Brian De Palmer films. What ever happened to that guy?
June 7, 2014
The whole world is dried up at the tit.

A government agent with two children with special psychic abilities is on the constant run from European government officials who want to kidnap them for government experiments. He tries to remain in hiding; but one unfortunate day, his son is kidnapped. He tries to keep his daughter hidden while looking for his son, but his daughter's powers begin to become apparent. She escapes her situation and goes looking for her dad. If they find each other, maybe they can save the son before it is too late.

"I'll be with you all the way; and if it doesn't workout, we'll go someplace else."

Brian De Palma, director of Scarface, The Untouchables, Mission: Impossible, Carlito's Way, Snake Eyes, Mission to Mars, Carrie, and The Black Dahlia, delivers The Fury. The storyline for this picture is actually more unique than I anticipated and was fairly intense in a Carrie/science fiction way. The acting was very good and I enjoyed the action sequences. The cast includes Kirk Douglas, John Cassavetes, Carrie Snodgress, Amy Irving, Charles Durning, and William Finley.

"You gotta give me the dame's number from the antique shop. There's nothing antique about her."

The Fury was a movie I came across on Cinemax and thought sounded interesting and contained a fairly decent cast. The movie was a bit uneven with some aspects that worked better than others; however, the movie came together well and I enjoyed the overall premise of the film. I do recommend seeing this picture at least once.

"Which one are you going to screw first?"

Grade: B+
½ February 2, 2008
A guilty pleasure horror outing, with a dynamite finale that's a blast!
October 31, 2012
Blood never looked this beautiful.
May 6, 2011
I think its time for a look at another Brian DePalma film from the vaults,although Im a little torn between whether I like it or not...It seems to have all the nescessary componants for a great thriller....Taken from a good pulp novel by John Farris, music by John Williams, decent acting by Kirk Douglas and Amy Irving, a great turn as a villain by Nick Cassavettes , enough action to keep the plot moving at a fairly rapid pace, and one of the best death scenes to end a film that you may ever see...

AS a follow up to his film Carrie, his direction seems to be a little more assured but I think the problem I have is that it all seems a little , been there, done that.

The story revolves around a telekinetic teen boy that is kidnapped and is being manipulated by a government agency, while his father, with the aid of a telekinetic teen girl ,is trying to locate and rescue him. All the while , the pairs ever growing powers are manifesting themselves in ever increasing Carrie-esque fashions. Everything from nosebleeds,fires, and runaway amusement park rides, continually ramp up the action until the explosive final scene.

But the whole story starts to feel like a mash up of his own film Carrie, Stephen King' Firestarter and a little bit of Cronenberg's Scanners thrown in for effect.
Dont get me wrong, I would still recommend The Fury, especially to those interested in seeing his film transition from Carrie into Blow Out and Scarface, but I would consider this one a bit of a minor misstep as DePalma tried to find his directorial voice.
November 26, 2013
That final scene is ... Explosive!
½ November 11, 2013
An absolutely brilliant sci-fi horror film that in the end contains a genuinely sad story.