Galaxy of Terror (Mindwarp: An Infinity of Terror) (Planet of Horrors) (Quest) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Galaxy of Terror (Mindwarp: An Infinity of Terror) (Planet of Horrors) (Quest) Reviews

August 6, 2016
This Roger CORMAN-produced movie looks like an Alien (Scott 1979) knockoff, but it has a central plot device similar to the one found in Solaris (Tarkovski 1972). Despite bad acting (Robert ENGLUND's adequate performance as a support character notwithstanding) and low-budget-yet-decent special effects, it is nevertheless enjoyable, with James CAMERON and Bill PAXTON working on the sets.
½ April 27, 2016
Galaxy of Terror (1981) ? 1/2
Low-budget ALIEN rip-off where astronauts are picked off one by one by outer space monsters. Pretty tacky. Produced by (who else?) schlock king Roger Corman. Also referred to as MINDWARP: AN INFINITY OF TERROR, PLANET OF HORRORS, and QUEST.
½ September 20, 2015
Simple, odd, a bit pretentious, and lacked story.. I liked the looming threat and the set design and the gore effects, and it was unintentionally funny at times...but overall this wasn't very good, even for a B movie.
April 15, 2015
I'd think a space horror that has Freddy Krueger and captain Spaulding in it would've been cooler. But this was before Robert Englund and Sid Haig's iconic roles. In fact, the latter only has one speaking scene opposed to his lunatic clown role never shut up.
January 20, 2015
it was okay it was mostly like a b movie star wars or a alien it was okay I also like freddy kruger the actor was in it to
December 31, 2014
If some of the scenes of gross-out and gore were applied to a better movie, they'd be some kind of spectacle, but as it is, Galaxy of Terror is a movie with complete incompetence in acting, visuals, writing and music, featuring a total lack of intelligence, originality or ability. The best thing about this movie is Robert Englund's limited role. But what do you expect from Galaxy of Terror, honestly?
½ December 22, 2014
Awesome concept and start. The ending dragged on for too long though
November 15, 2014
Well judging by the poster for this Corman gem you can expect to see lots of huge freaky monsters attacking scantily clad ladies on some kind of prehistoric looking alien planet. I really don't understand how this poster even exists as the film is completely and utterly the opposite to everything that poster stands for! it looks like a Doug McClure movie poster.

Anywho I had never seen this film until now so I was unaware of what to expect, again judging by that movie poster I was kinda thinking it was an 'Aliens' type affair...oh well. The film certainly looks and feels like 'Aliens' though that's for sure, holy sputum! the visuals virtually throughout the entire film are near identical! This may well be down to the fact James Cameron was the Production Designer and Second Unit Director on this and he clearly took these ideas and recreated them for his now famous Alien sequel masterpiece.

Indeed this film does look very Cameron-ish in some scenes especially at the start where we see the crew leave the mother ship and search the alien surroundings in their very smart yet workman-like looking space suits complete with light generating backpacks. Hell even the alien planet is a cold dark misty wind swept barren land with mountainous jagged rocks that looks like an early LV-426. Then you have the huge alien pyramid type structure that kinda looks like a concept pinched for 'AvP'. So the more I watched the more I found myself comparing this early Corman sci-fi to Cameron's future work, on top of that much visual style has been borrowed from Ridley Scott's 'Alien' with the blue-collar space crew on board their slick yet heavily metallic industrial interior designed craft and its long twisting corridors. Not quite the oil rig in space scenario, there is more of a dark Battlestar Galactica feel to it in my opinion, and lets not forget the character of kore the cook who is similar in plot development to Ash.

So off the crew go into the unknown looking for survivors of a ship that crashed on this mysterious planet. The setup was certainly looking good for a last man standing type thriller and you do get that to a degree. What disappointed me was the fact the plot doesn't revolve around alien creatures killing off the crew but monsters created by the crew themselves, their own worst fears made flesh like some cheesy Red Dwarf episode. What was a little intriguing was the notion that this huge pyramid where everything takes place is some kind of adventure playground for children of an extinct race of beings. Apparently they would test their ability to control fear within the pyramid...for some reason. Notice the 'AvP' similarities here also huh huh!

So this all leads to various creatures and bizarre scenarios that kill off the crew one by one, some being quite cool effects wise and some not so. The silliest and most controversial (at the time) being a scene where a massive maggot rapes one of the female crew to death...yet she kinda enjoys it in the end. Totally stupid and uber cheesy to watch, makes you wonder what the fuss was all about, but there is some nice use of stop motion and a big rubber slime covered puppet. Most of the time you don't fully see the things killing people, you merely get glimpses, which does work but I fear that may be because most of them looked pretty hokey. The main talking point of the film (apart from the horny oversized maggot) must be the gruesome gory effects you get sporadically. Some lovely use of good old fashioned hands on effects with dummies, fake blood and exploding body parts, again it all looks pretty dubious now of course but back in the day it would have been horrific.

I did start out enjoying the film with its 'Aliens' look and feel but as time went on I grew more and more bored with the ever growing 'Hellraiser/Event Horizon-esque' route it took. What I didn't get on with (and still don't really get) is what was the Master character all about exactly?...who? why? how? etc...and how about some more info on this extinct race and their big pyramid playground of death huh. Plus I never really got behind any of the characters either, didn't really bother me if they lived or died and didn't really like any of them. You never find out what happens to Englund's character and what was all that crystal star throwing malarkey with Haig's character? why was he so obsessed with his precious crystal ninja stars?

Everything is a tad rehashed from Ridley Scott's space opus...especially with the discount Nostromo crew and I didn't really like the question raising ending or plot progression (how exactly did Cabren kill the Master??! what was all that lighting stuff? beats me). But yeah on the other hand I did kinda like it mainly for its visual artistry and glorious hands on effects, on that front its brilliant.
November 3, 2014
May be another wannabe Alien knockoff of that time with lackluster creature effects, but this sleazy gem will offer Sci-fi juckies enough genre cheese to remain invested as we watch Robert Englund (Freddy Krueger), Erin Moran (Joanie from Happy Days), Sid Haig (Captain Spalding), and Mr. Hand himself Ray Walston face off against an alien entity that knows its victims inner most fears in order to soon after kill them. Keep an eye out for one of the most memorable death/sex scenes you'll ever witness in a movie. Also notice the set designs resemble many of the sets from Aliens that is still five years away. That can be attributed to James Cameron whose influence probably had a lot to do with the realism of the practical effects in much of this picture as well as set design. Both Aliens Cameron and non other than Hudson himself Bill Paxton are credited with working on the set design in this Roger Corman cult classic. Far from a well layered piece of Sci-Fi Shakespeare, but Galaxy of Terror offers enough in terms of cliché sci-fi fun, gore, and ridiculousness that makes up for whatever logic throws at it. Not for the casual film watcher if your looking to watch something with any type of class.
September 15, 2014
Tries to imitate the movie Alien and falls very short with its pointless, senseless plot. The conclusion fails in explaining the madness, which makes it seem random and stupid.
July 27, 2014
July 9, 2014
A kind of ALIEN but with low budget.
July 4, 2014
Saved by great atmosphere , effects , visuals and gore
½ May 1, 2014
Pretty much a B-movie rip off of Alien with large alien worms. Not quite as funny as I thought it might be.
½ February 28, 2014
In my opinion this was a great film. Sure the pacing was a little fast and some scenes where more funny than scary, but to me this film is a blast with its b-horror vibe, and its awesome retro effects.
January 19, 2014
Connoisseurs of bad movies should rejoice, this sci fi film has plenty of loony deaths, wacky sets, and an unforgettably tasteless scene where a women is raped by giant caterpillar. It's bad but its never boring
½ October 5, 2013
Typical Roger Corman. You know what you're getting into and it can be a blast, though forgettable in the long run.
½ September 21, 2013
Rescue team searches a desolate planet for survivors of a previous mission. Roger Corman's sci-fi entries are usually stronger than his other genre attempts. James Cameron works as production designer and second unit director; there are several elements here that would emerge (more effectively) in ALIENS. By my count, there are still four people unaccounted for from the previous mission.
August 7, 2013
Fun B-Movie. Production design partly by a young James Cameron steals the show and is a definite precursor to the look of ALIENS.
July 31, 2013
Modern creature feature worth almost falling asleep - just so you can wake up when the loud "someones gonna die" music plays. The only place to see young Kreuger, grown-up Moran, and eternal Walston acting together - in a Corman production no less!