Gallipoli - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gallipoli Reviews

August 2, 2014
Whether you believe war is always, sometimes or never justified, an elegant reminder of the virtue of bravery, and that great beauty is often terrible.
July 18, 2014
Weir's work has a delicacy, gentleness, even wispiness that would seem not well suited to the subject. And yet his film has an uncommon beauty, warmth, and immediacy, and a touch of the mysterious, too.
½ June 28, 2014
One of the greatest and most honest looks at the true value of war. An excellent examination of nationalism, propaganda, and loss of innocence. Beautifully done and it has an absolutely incredible ending.
June 22, 2014
An Australian film classic by Peter Weir and also a devastating emotional piece that pays respect and honor to the ANZACS
½ June 20, 2014
This devastating tale is an imaginative and tragic prelude to one of the most horrific events of the First World War.
June 16, 2014
I found the first 80 mins tiring to watch, but it was all worth for the last 30 mins are utterly heart-wrenching and unforgettable.
June 12, 2014
Young children often say "I don't like that" to food they've never tried. I guess it's just this strange assumption humans naturally make that the unknown is unpleasant. Of course I assumed I had grown out of this, but it appears it has carried over to my taste in films. I had always assumed war movies just weren't for me, even though I've never really seen any. So I approached this film with a great deal of trepidation. I was surprised to find that in many ways Peter Weir built Gallipoli to be more of a character drama. We literally spend more than half the film getting to know the main characters outside of war, and even when they get there it is less about the battle and more about how it impacts these young men. For those who don't know about this film, it is about a pair of Australian sprinters who sign up to serve in World War I with grand hopes of aiding in the war effort, but when they arrive in Turkey they are quickly disillusioned.

The first protagonist we meet is young Archy, played by Mark Lee. He has this perfect childhood innocence that makes him easy to love. You can sense his passion, and it makes some of the horrors of war feel that much worse when you put someone so wholesome in tough situations. He really has a starring role, and should share top billing, but because his co-star has made a bigger name for himself he is the one everyone will talk about. Yes, Mel Gibson is the other lead in Gallipoli, and he provides a good performance here in the early days of his career. He plays Frank, who is basically the Han Solo to Archy's Luke Skywalker. Despite being only about 25 at the time, Gibson plays Frank as a very seasoned and world-wise man. He's likable, but in a wholly different way from Mark Lee. He's the type of guy you want to hang out with, and you can see why he has such loyal friends. These 2 guys basically carry the movie, and I'm glad because they are so enjoyable to watch. Their friendship feels genuine, and it makes scenes later in the film much more emotional because you really believe these guys like one another.

Films like this force me to remind myself that PG-13 didn't exist in the 1981 rating system. The amount of nudity and blood really surprised me from a PG film, but in the early 80s there was a pretty big divide between PG and R. Aside from that slight surprise, I was pleased with how this movie was presented. It made me care about the characters, and therefore offered an engaging experience. My problem was that it took a little too long to get rolling. I appreciate the time they devoted to character development, but at a certain point I just wanted to get to the war. Then when they finally face battle it feels rushed. The plot also ends up being a bit too predictable, which is logical since everyone already knows war is hell, but it makes the long ride getting there feel even longer when you can predict potential outcomes. However, I can't deny that I loved the characters, and was emotionally impacted by the end. Sure, Gallipoli doesn't try anything groundbreaking or fresh, but it does present its story honestly and with heart. I'm glad I've seen it, and it might have changed my outlook on war movies.
½ May 18, 2014
Finally got around to seeing this one. A strong, solid drama about young Australians facing WWI. The story starts off being about Archy (Mark Lee) - and it is quite captivating - but is soon taken over by Mel Gibson's Frank. In the end, the movie doesn't seem to do either character enough justice. Personally, I would have preferred if it had stuck with Archy. Other than that, it is a charming enough piece. It's always interesting to see great actors in their earlier roles, to see how much they have grown or how much daring they have lost.
½ May 16, 2014
A stirring and very touching tribute to all the Australians and New Zealanders who died fighting for their country during the war one of Australia's best ever films
May 3, 2014
A really well made Australian Film that addresses the myth of glory in war and the harsh reality of war itself. The movie follows two young men who pursue their opportunity to join the Australian Army to fight in Turkey in World War. It is quite an adventure that ends in absolute tragedy.
½ April 20, 2014
A really well-made Aussie film (aside from the soundtrack), which is unique in that it spends over an hour developing the back story of the two leads (Gibson & Lee) as runners, then some time on their training in Egypt - they're only in Turkey in WWI for the final 30min. This is good, however, as there's some lighthearted fun for most of the film and good-natured Aussie larrikin-ness. Obviously, it gets quite serious at the end and is pretty poignant when one chooses to sacrifice himself for the other. Very true as well, when in the desert they meet an Australian who didn't know the war was going on - "why do we care about the English fighting some other country in Europe?" So true.
April 17, 2014
A decent portrayal of the infamous battle.
½ March 7, 2014
Well crafted but badly aged, especially when it comes to the Faux-gelis power-synth score.
January 17, 2014
One of my favorite Peter Weir movie, this incredible story of a young man enrolling in the army to go fight on the shores of Gallipoli is amazingly directed & shot perfectly by a talented team. Gibson is marvelous as always. The film of a lost & sacrificed generation.
January 16, 2014
My main issue with this movie is the 80s synth track that plays whenever there is running. Every time it played I was yanked out of the time period, and gut laughing at the absurdity of it.
½ January 4, 2014
Well, "Gallipoli" isn't terrible, but it is not terrific. It does have some really good powerful acting at times, but I honestly did not like the soundtrack one bit. The design of the film is pretty bad too.
January 1, 2014
1993's Schindler's List Is My Fifth Favorite Film.
December 19, 2013
Expertly-crafted and magnificently-acted, the story of these two men in the Battle of the Nek is sobering and emotionally devastating
December 18, 2013
A strong, character-building exercise amongst the backdrop of WWI and the battle of Gallipoli in Turkey, and how two young men (Mark Lee, Mel Gibson), both sprinters, become good friends in their journey to help serve in the Australian army. A buddy film for most its entirety, when it makes the hard shift over to the difficult decisions and circumstances these two characters face, we care about them and if they will survive it all. Both Lee and Gibson are excellent in their respected roles, and the film's cinematography makes for quite a different setting for war to take place in. The last scene of the movie is utterly heart-wrenching, complete with a lasting image of anti-war imagery that will stick in your mind for a long time.
½ December 11, 2013
Feels a bit limited emotionally but it's well acted, surprisingly well paced, and at least has a real punch to the stomach kind of ending. I feel like more than anything this movie was a love letter to Australia.