The Glass Menagerie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Glass Menagerie Reviews

December 4, 2013
A film that I won't ever forget.
May 23, 2013
A really beautiful story that is told extremely well by John Malkovich and Joanne Woodward, but I just feel like something was lost in the translation for Karen Allen. I mean of course it's not intended to be realistic, John Malkovich says it himself in the opening, but the problem for her isn't realism its this strange sense I get from her like she's urgently waiting for something, but I know the character isn't. Overall, the film was good, not great. Of course Malkovich delivers a standout performance, but other than that the film was simply good.
February 9, 2013
It is such a tender and immense movie. There is just one room in the movie. But that one room becomes a place of despair and pain, which Tom Wingfield passes in and out of, making clear its reference to being tied down in the prosaic lifestyle. Yet - hence, tenderness - it's the oddest of all situations; he has a mother who is completely repelling, but he's still connected to her for she is his mother. He is connected to his sister, Laura in the same sort of way. Laura is a pitiful character locked in her mother's home by shyness. This is not to upset balance in this movie. There is the situation I've mentioned, but there is also a story, which gives active anticipation no matter how slim and forgettable it really is. Then there is - to some's surprise - dry humor. The latter I believe, for myself, is a consequence of great screenwriting. Tennessee Williams is a genius
½ November 12, 2012
I enjoyed it. It awkward and sad at the same time. It has John Malkovich in it which is probably why I saw it. Anyways it's a lovely film with great acting. Not well known. I'm glad I found it.
March 23, 2012
A really good adaptation of the Tennessee Williams classic. Supported by an all-star cast, you won't be bored for a second.
February 17, 2012
Moving adaptation of Tennessee Williams' play. Deftly and beautifully directed by Paul Newman. In fact, the performances are reminiscent of Newman's own acting - sensitive, understated, real.

John Malkovich, Joanne Woodward and Karen Allen deliver in spades.
December 2, 2011
Extremely dry and slow, the lighting absolutely sucks in it but the acting itself is pretty good. Strange to see John Malkovich so young. Regardless I get the film very rare does one go through such themes of shyness and being social. Though I can't believe someone who looks/ed as beautiful as Karen Allen being someone like this but then it is a movie. Makes me want to read the book.
July 3, 2011
½ May 23, 2010
Moving, excruciating, heart-breaking. Very strong performances from the whole cast, especially from Joanne Woodward. And John Malkovich is as great as always.
March 30, 2010
son is quiet, mother is a pain, and the daughter is utterly shy. The son narrates the whole movie, but the viewer is left to decide for themselves what happened to the mother and daughter. Excellent drama, but a poor movie with no build up to excitement at all. ONLY WATCH IF YOU ENJOY HEAVY DRAMAS.
August 7, 2009
I just wish I could find this movie somewhere.
½ April 29, 2009
I give the film a thumbs up for using the original lines from the play. However, I didn't like the acting. Tom (John Malkovich) seemed creepy, Amanda (Joanne Woodward) was super annoying and, in my opinion, Karen Allen did not know how to act like a shy person.
March 17, 2009
John Malkovich at his best.
March 6, 2009
The best flim version of my favorite Tennessee Williams play.
January 24, 2009
A beautiful, beautiful play. This adaptation was not bad. John Malkovich shines, as usual.
December 30, 2008
Get the scissors and cut several minutes, cut Malkovich spoken thoughts to the spectator and you will have a really interesting drama. It is strange the movie seems so old and outdated and its only from late eighties. Shame because it could have been a very good film.
November 7, 2008
good acting, but a poor rendition of the timeless novel/play
September 27, 2008
Great movie, I have loved Malkovich ever since watching this movie after reading the book.
July 20, 2008
This movie is based from the play The Glass Menagerie. The story of the glass menagerie is so deep and captivating on so many levels. It has characterization, symbolism, past vs. present, man vs. self and more. It??s really enthralling when you dig deeper into the service. The ending wasn??t as good as I was hoping for but it will do. Both the play and movie is grand. Job well done
July 12, 2008
My favourite movie right now; how could you not love this movie?