The top Glory quotes selected by the Rotten Tomatoes community. Login to submit a quote!
- John Rawlins: [part of the prayer group] Lord, we stand before you this evening, to say thank you! And we thank you, father, for your grace, and your many blessings! Now I run off, leaving all my young'uns and my kinfolk, in bondage. So I'm standing here this evening, Heavenly Father, to ask your blessings on all of us. So that if tomorrow is the great getting-up morning, if that tomorrow we have to meet the Judgement Day, O Heavenly Father, we want you to let our folks know that we died facing the enemy! We want 'em to know that we went down standing up! Amongst those that are fighting against our oppression. We want 'em to know, Heavenly Father, that we died for freedom! We ask these blessings in Jesus' name. Amen!
- Sgt. Mulcahy: [berating Private Trip] You half-wit black bastard! Did they truly cut your balls off at birth? I'm gonna work on you, you bastard, until I get you broken.
- Col. Robert Gould Shaw: Dear Mother, They learn, learn quickly, faster than white troops it seems to me. They are almost grave and sedate under instruction and they restrain themselves. But the moment they are dismissed from drill every tongue is relaxed and every ivory tooth is visible and you would not know from the sound of it that this is an army camp. They must have learned this from long hours of meaningless, inhuman work oo set them free so quickly. It gives them great energy. And there is no doubt we will leave this state as fine a regiment as any that as marched. As ever, your son, Robert.
- Col. Robert Gould Shaw: Good morning gentlemen, I am Colonel Robert Gould Shaw. I am your commanding officer. It is a great pleasure to see you all here today. It is my hope that the same courage, spirit, and honor, which has brought us together, will one day restore this Union. May God bless us all.
- John Rawlins: That's right, Hines. Ain't no dream. We runaway slaves but we come back fightin' men. Go tell your folks how kingdom come in the year of jubilee!
- Trip: [addressing the 54th the night before battle] I ain't much about no prayin', now. I ain't never had no family, and... killed off my mama. Well, I just... Y'all's the onliest family I got. I love the 54th. Ain't even much a matter what happens tomorrow, 'cause we men, ain't we?
- Col. Robert Gould Shaw: There's more to fighting than rest, sir. There's character. There's strength of heart. You should have seen us in action two days ago. We were a sight to see! We'll be ready, sir. When do you want us?
- Col. Robert Gould Shaw: Glory hallelujah.
- 10th Conn. Soldier: Give 'em Hell, 54!
- Sharts: [praying aloud] Tommorrow we goes into battle, so Lordy, let me fight with the rifle in one hand, and the Good Book in the other. So that if I may die at the muzzle of the rifle... die on water, or on land, I may know that you blessed Jesus almighty are with me... and I have no fear.
- Col. Robert Gould Shaw: Sgt. Mulcahy!Sgt. Mulcahy: Sir!Col. Robert Gould Shaw: I have no doubt you are a fair man, Mulcahy. I wonder if you are treating the men too hard. [Sgt. Mulcahy pauses] You may speak freely.Sgt. Mulcahy: The boy is a friend of yours, is he?Col. Robert Gould Shaw: Yes, we grew up togetherSgt. Mulcahy: Let him grow up some more.‐ Submitted by Nick S (4 years ago)
- Col. Robert Gould Shaw: If you men will accept no pay. Then none of us will. [tears up check]‐ Submitted by Joey K (4 years ago)
- Col. Robert Gould Shaw: There's more to fighting than rest, sir. There's character. There's strength of heart. You should have seen us in action two days ago. We were a sight to see! We'll be ready, sir. When do you want us?‐ Submitted by Roberto P (5 years ago)
- Trip: I ain't fighting this war for you sir.Col. Robert Gould Shaw: I see.Trip: I mean, whats the point? Ain't nobody going to win. It's just gonna to go on and on.Col. Robert Gould Shaw: Can't go on forever.Trip: Yeah, but ain't nobody gonna win, sir.Col. Robert Gould Shaw: Somebody's going to win.Trip: Who? I mean, you get to go back to Boston, big house and all that. What about us? What do we get?Col. Robert Gould Shaw: Well, you won't get anything if we lose.‐ Submitted by Bryan M (5 years ago)