Glory Reviews

• May 27, 2021

Although the film is quite stunning visually, I can't help but notice some anachronisms that "polish" a bit the whole thing.

• May 16, 2021

Glory is a masterpiece that brings the story of the 54th Massachusetts volunteer infantry which was the first black regimen in the union army. The movie stars as the main leads Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, and Morgan Freeman. This film is powerful and beautiful and poignant as it handles the issues of race, war, bravery, and sacrifice in the backdrop of America's deadliest conflict. The war scenes are realistic and visceral and the historical set pieces take us back to 19th century civil war America. But is the acting performances that sell this movie. Broderick as the main character dazzles with his stern but humble personality as Colonel Robert Shaw. Morgan Freeman as Sgt, John Rawlins becomes the leader of the former slaves who become union soldiers giving them morale. But is Denzel's academy award performance that kills it as we see him transform from an arrogant, selfish, wounded man into a leader and brave hero. Easily one of the best civil war movies ever made

• Feb 27, 2021

The three main actors give amazing performances. Especially Denzel. What motivating story about the civil war.

• Feb 10, 2021

Awesome performances from the entire cast, one of the best civil war films of all time!

• Jan 25, 2021

A really well made film, it wouldn't be possible to improve. Outstanding cinematography and outstanding action (battle) scenes. As much as you can feel fear from a movie I felt the fear of going into battle, what a God awful meat grinder the Civil War. As usual, nothing but great acting from Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington. My only quibble is that the story seems a little formulistic, but then there was no other way to make this movie.

• Jan 17, 2021

This historical semi epic explores an important, and otherwise overlooked, aspect of the Civil War and, although I had never seen this film, I think I was only first aware of a Union regiment made up entirely of black soldiers through the existence of this movie. Denzel easily gets the MVP (worth double in a film with Morgan Freeman) delivering a confidently emotional performance with two or three extremely moving scenes that he unequivocally steals, even eliciting an audible "oh god" from me in one. There were some tense and well shot battle scenes that, coupled with the decent pacing, made it easy to stay engaged. The score encouraged a slightly melodramatic tone at times which did make this feel somewhat cliche and dated on a few occasions. People can, and will, always argue about how, and in whose voice, historical stories like this should be told and while those discussions are important, we can't even begin to have them until these stories and accounts are out there. 7.5/10

• Dec 28, 2020

My personal favorite and best war movie of all time. Amazing characters, drama, acting, music, and action. Some of the most captivating emotional performances and moments I have seen in film!

• Dec 16, 2020

Truly a masterpiece in every sense of the word, the quintessential American Civil War film, one of the best war epics of all time, the music will tear at your heart strings every time, not enough adjectives to describe how moving and wonderful this film is.

• Nov 28, 2020

Denzel deserved his oscar, matthew deserved a little better direction (seems to appear clueless... and not in a 'young man who just got promoted' kind of way....

• Nov 25, 2020

A great lesson in humanity. The insanity of war v being seen as human.

A great lesson in humanity. The insanity of war v being seen as human.