Go for Broke! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Go for Broke! Reviews

½ May 8, 2013
Starring Van Johnson along with a handful of WW II vets, this film looks like your average war film. It follows this group of soldiers from their initial training all the way to deployment. Then, we follow their exploits in Italy and France that coincide with their everyday interactions. However, this film is very significant because it actually tells the story of Japanese Americans in the 442nd infantry unity. They not only faced the enemy on the battlefield, they also had to deal with a great deal of prejudice within the armed forces. However, as with the example of Van Johnson, the Budha-Heads were able to win respect because of their courageous fighting. In the climatic moments of the film these men save a lost division and then return home as heroes. Since I am half-Japanese it was exciting for me to come across this film because this kind of topic has not been covered often. The fact that it actually had Nisei actors and was made quite soon after the war is also amazing.
November 20, 2011
Watched this in class. It was pretty good. Loved how it depicted racism during the Second World War. Great story, too.
April 19, 2011
Japanese Americans fighting in the WWII with the US troops. Quite interesting.
October 14, 2010
Excellent World War II vehicle telling the true story of the 442nd Infantry Regiment which was comprised of all Japanese Americans and coincidentally was the most decorated unit in World War II. The movie stars Van Johnson but features many of the men who were actual members of the 442nd and non-actors. This film follows these men from just out of basic training in the states to their battles with the Germans in Europe and shows the racism they had to endure from their fellow soldiers but also the admiration and respect they earned for their bravery. Not a big fan of war movies but I really like this film and thought for a 1951 movie, it did a descent job of accurately portraying the heroics of these brave young men.
January 30, 2010
Budda heads and cowboyssom kriger mot stygge tyskerne i WW2.Slett ikke værst,men blir for kjedelig for min smak!!!
½ November 19, 2009
A very good movie, worth watching at least once.
October 12, 2009
Excellent movie.

It's worth watching if you can find it.
January 5, 2009
This is a great moive for history buffs. Most people do not know about this U.S. History.
bbcfloridabound
September 10, 2008
Excellent War Movie and shows you a part of American History that has been buried, if your a veteren you need to see this, shows our US Japanese citzens during WWII, a great showing.
½ September 9, 2008
It's good to see some reality in some way, I know that this people lived a really hard condition at that time.
½ July 13, 2008
Not bad for it's time, but way too much Van Johnson smirk. For a less linear and far more interesting take on the 100th/442nd, seek out Lane Nishikawa's "Only The Brave" - another film yet to be found in Facebook's db.
February 12, 2008
i honestly hated this movie, the only thing i liked was some of the characters were the real people from the 442.
½ January 24, 2008
Pretty realistic battle scenes in this WWII film, based on actual events. The acting (mostly amateur) and attempts at humor are hit-and-miss. But this was a pretty brave attempt at this subject for 1951.
December 19, 2007
A good movie for those who like WWII movies. It shows a nearly untold side of the story and meant a lot to me, given my grandfather tried to get into the 442. I also had the privilege of knowing two veteran members of the 442, as they live in my area.
November 25, 2007
The only movie about the Nikkei 442 of WWII. Rather hackneyed, but hey! It's my heritage. Still worth a look for me, since I actually know people who served in the 442, and had a cousin who died while serving in it.
July 23, 2007
Its pretty good for being an older style of an war movie, but it was a lot of a documentry style, which was dumb
July 18, 2007
Van Johnson stars in this movie where he trains Japanese-Americans (Budda Heads in the movie) to fight for the USA in Europe in WWII.
July 16, 2007
This movie is all about my dad. Family favorite.