Goodbye, Mr. Chips - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goodbye, Mr. Chips Reviews

August 29, 2010
Amazing film. Think "Mr. Holland's Opus" but better. Donat's performance is brilliant, especially when his character ages yet he himself is relatively young in real life. Skip the Peter O'Toole version and go straight to this.
August 11, 2010
It was ok. My mind started to drift towards the end.
July 24, 2010
It's too bad Robert Donat didn't have a longer, healthier life. Between this film and Hitchcock's "The 39 Steps," he really shows he can deliver the goods. If you don't get a lump in your throat watching Mr. Chipping endure great loss on his way to learning what it means to be a success in life, then there's something wrong with you.
July 16, 2010
Always makes me greet. Never fails. Get the hankies out.
½ June 9, 2010
What a year 1939 was for films...this film defintely part of that. Such a fantastic characer piece this was, I always wondered what kind of performance could have beaten Clarke Gable's in GWTW for the oscar but now I know. Robert Donat was out of this world he was fantastic!

Although a little slow to start, (but I guess just setting it up for the story it was) once Chips meet Greer Garson's character then it was off. I assume the book was very well written.. although the film was directed very well indeed granted there was a wonderful interesting charcter/story to work with.

The film effectively touched on quite a few areas, love, romance, teaching, anti-war themes, lonliness and ultimately the power of connection. I was so impressed how the story juggled them with Donat's character. A real pleasure to watch....a must see in that wonderful string of hits from the late 30's cinema....hollywood at it's goldest....
½ May 19, 2010
I used to be mad at Robert Donat for beating Laurence Olivier, Jimmy Stewart, and Clark Gable in the Best Actor race that year but he totally deserved it! He was fantastic; could have used more Greer Garson (but what couldn't?); loved the kid who played Colley throughout the generations; Bawled, like a lot throughout the last hour so definitely keep the Kleenex handy! One problem fore me was how Donat looked like Mark Twain when he was older-that's just weird.
May 2, 2010
Pretty good, although I admit I didn't understand any of his jokes.
April 25, 2010
Very sentimental, but full credit has to go to Robert Donat, who delivers one of the best ever cinematic performances, and the makeup department who age him over a period of 60 years so splendidly. A classic in every sense of the word.
April 9, 2010
Goodbye Mr.Chips has one of those classic premises of a school teacher and trials and errors he faces while on the job. From his young years as a freshman to his last steps through the halls, Goodbye Mr.Chips is movie of rather epic scope, covering love, friendship and the war along its way. Robert Donat does a great job (so did the makeup department) in his portrayal of the shy and witty Mr. Chips. The movie takes a good 25 minutes to find its rhythm and in the end it has a tendecy to be melodramatic but overall it is a beautiful movie. Like so many other "teacher" movies, Goodbye Mr.Chips is a very morally tale and given the fact that it is (partially) set during wartime the overall feel is very melancholic and the movie is definetly a tear-jerker. Cute.

February 25, 2010
Oscar win best actor Robert Donat
February 16, 2010
a forgotten film from the greatest year Hollywood ever knew, this film is dated but at the same time still very watchable. The story is simple and follows a very linear structure. The outstanding performance by Donat is what stands out here and his performance was incredible. The makeup work they did on him throughout was very good, very realistic. You believed he was an 80 year old man. The film also shows a dramatic shift in how our lives are lived and in how we conduct ourselves and this is something that resonates to this day.
January 30, 2010
An oldie but a goodie
January 27, 2010
It was OK, but I couldn't help but feel it was somewhat lacking. I know that it would be very hard to show all of Mr. Chip's 60+ years at the school in a 2-hour movie, but I felt that there was too much missing to fully understand how Chips went from being a new teacher to the most beloved teacher at the school other than for the simple fact that he was there for so long. Touching line at the end though.
½ December 11, 2009
In a World Without Mandatory Retirement

We are closing in on the last of the Great Films of the Golden Year of 1939--any I've missed, I'll probably get to in 2014! Just looking at the list of movies this was in competition against for the Oscars that year is a good way to find some of the greatest films in Hollywood history. (Which, frankly, makes me wonder all the more why Greer Garson was nominated in the leading category. It's not as though there were some shortage of great roles to fill it.) Much fuss is being made this year about the seventieth anniversary of, frankly, the one I'd most like to see remade--no, I don't actually think [i]The Wizard of Oz[/i] is as great as everyone else seems to, and though it'll never happen, I'd like to see a real adaptation of the book. There's also a classic we'll get to later in the week which is getting a pretty good release, though far less fuss. I don't expect the same amount of attention paid to the lesser classics, but I'm hoping that, in five years, we get attention paid.

In 1870, Charles Chipping (Robert Donat) starts as a Latin teacher at Brookfield School. He isn't much liked, being a stern and vaguely unpleasant man who isn't much good with children. Time passes, and class after class of boys are taught by Mr. Chipping. Because he's not well-liked, he is passed over for housemaster. He is concerned about the prospect of his future career, and he lets German teacher Staefel (Paul Henreid, probably best known as Victor Lazlo) talk him into going to Austria on the holidays. There, he meets the lovely young Katherine (Greer Garson), who loves him despite his stuffiness. And, with her love, he becomes less stuffy himself. Eventually, he is beloved by his students. However, Katherine dies in childbirth, and it is only the relationship he has with the boys which sustains him, and he never goes back to his old ways. In 1913, he is forced into retirement, only returning upon the outbreak of World War I and only then as long as he is needed.

The only Oscar the film actually won was Donat's Best Actor award. Frankly, I can see how he deserved it. Arguments can, of course, be made for four of that year's nominees--I haven't seen the Mickey Rooney movie, but it was a Mickey Rooney movie. For one thing, the movie takes place over the course of over fifty years--the image on the poster is chronologically impossible. There was no makeup award that year, but if there had been, this would have been, based on what I've seen, a strong contender. (It probably would have gone to [i]Hunchback[/i], though.) The story is rather saccharine and nothing terribly extraordinary, but Donat rises above it. Despite the fact that, obviously, Young Mr. Chips was how he looked without the makeup, he seems more natural in his middle-aged state. The first joke he tells isn't all that funny, but Donat plays it just right; he is hoping that they'll think it's funny and maybe start liking him some, and he's never been worried about being liked before. Except by Katherine, and being liked by her has opened him to the rest of the world.

It's interesting that a boy in the movie plays four generations of the same family. Obviously, Mr. Chips, as Katherine begins calling him, knows whole lineages. A professor at a British public school (which we would call private; it's weird) would get to know families, because schools are often family traditions. The Colley family (four boys of which played by Terry Kilburn) would be just one. Anyone who reads many British novels will get the feel for this; even Terry Pratchett invented a school or two along those lines, not least of which is the Assassins' Guild. (Not everyone goes after the Dark Curriculum.) What is perhaps a little more surprising is that, when Mr. Chips is reading off the list of the school's dead from the War, he lists Staefel, who had died fighting for--well, they say Germany, but it's more likely to have been Austria-Hungary, given that he was from Vienna. It's also worth noting that the changing of time is often explained through the changes in history, a helpful device when the same kid is in school for fifty years.

On further thought, the nomination for Greer Garson seems to have been along the lines of that of Sir Anthony Hopkins for [i]Silence of the Lambs[/i], inasmuch as her existence changes the course of the story and the case of the main character's life. The difference, here, is that her place could have been filled by just about anyone. Or anything. The only purpose she fills is to make a difference between who he was and who he became. She's sweet and charming, and she's a bridge between him and the boys. They start liking him, because she helps him like them. She is sweet and charming and pretty, and it set her up for a great career afterward. However, that's pretty much just what she's there for. Sweet and pretty. Apparently, that's all it takes to change his life entirely. Who this says bad things about, I'm not sure, but in part, I think that, if that's all it took, he could have figured it out for himself some time before.
½ November 24, 2009
good & real about teaching & keeping things simple & being caring... Robert Donat was fantastic...
½ November 24, 2009
November 20, 2009
Great, great film. You'll cry at the end.
November 19, 2009
One Of The Awesomest Movies Ever !!
November 18, 2009
I have decided to copy an idea from one of my Flixster friends (RThornhill) and leave a comment with each of the movies that have been recommended to me, that I choose to mark as "wanting to see". This comment will include the username of the person who recommended the particular film to me. Putting this comment will allow the people who recommend movies to me to be able to see which movies I have marked as "Want To See It" - based on their recommendation. It will also allow people to see that I don't ignore recommendations, I do enjoy recommendations and take a lot of the recommendations I get into consideration!

This film was recommended by RThornhill. Thanks!
November 10, 2009
If you like warmhearted optimistic films like me, you should say "Hello to this Goodbye"....