A Gunfight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Gunfight Reviews

December 26, 2013
120826: This is a neat film for multiple reasons. First off, it is the first mainstream American movie to be produced by an Indian tribe, the Jicarilla Apaches of New Mexico. And, in no way is it a commentary on the condition of American first nations. It's a western, speaking more on society's thirst for violence and, perhaps, what midlife crisis would be for aging gunfighters. Keith Carradine makes a short, cool and exciting appearance and you get to see what the results would for either combatant had they won, regardless of who actually wins. The only aspect I did not like is Johnny Cash (show me some musician who's done as good job as an actor).
December 6, 2013
This Unusual Western Was Produced By An Indian Tribe & Won't Appeal To All Western Fans. The Gunfight Referred In The Title Tough Is One That Won't Be Easily Forgotten. Kirk Douglas & Johnny Cash Play Aging Gunslingers, Who Decide To Sell Tickets To Their Upcoming Gunfight, So The Winner Keeps The Money Instead Of Not Seeing A Dime, From Bets Being Placed On Them. A Good Plot & A Long Slow Build Up Shows The Rivals Becoming Friends Just Before The Climactic Gunfight. A Great Flick, That's Often Forgot About.
½ June 19, 2011
The Man in Black and Kirk Douglas make a very strange pair in "A Gunfight", the movie is actually executed pretty well and Mr.Cash looks like he would have fit right into the old west, as a huge Cash fan I had to see him act, I guess I guess I just don't see him as an actor, while his performance isn't bad I just don't really see him as an actor. Kirk Douglas also was decent in this but I just don't really see him fitting in a western. While the story is sort of generic it is told simply but it also gets a bit slow and boring more than once and there are also a few scenes that I deemed unnecessary particularity the scene where it's reversed, where will kills abe, I just did not find that relevant. A Gunfight is an okay western without all the action but it moves a bit slowly with irrelevant scenes and sort of mediocre acting.
January 6, 2011
A clip from this film featuring Johnny Cash as Abe Cross saying "You stay the hell away from me, ya hear?" is featured in Cash's widely acclaimed final music video "Hurt".

Kirk Douglas' son is played by his real life son Eric Douglas (1958-2004).
½ June 20, 2010
June 14, 2010
Johnny Cash's horse is bit by a rattlesnake so he goes to a town where another notorious gunslinger (Kirk Douglas) is retired w/ a wife & kid. The entire town is excited that the two might square off that Douglas gets the idea that they should charge admission for a gunfight. For a western this is a little against type & not much action except for an good quick cameo by Keith Carradine who is gunning for Cash or Douglas for a shot @ the gate. This is more of a character study but it's written pretty thinly & doesn't give you anyone to root for because there is no good or bad guy. It tries to even have its cake & eat it too in the final showdown by letting you see what would happen if either one of them won. Anyway you cut it the women lose out
½ June 8, 2010
Fairly didactic and long-winded, but with plenty of good performances all around, including Black and Cash in naturalistic turns. There's a fair amount of subtext to the Douglas/Cash verbal faceoffs leading up to the duel, but not so much to the event itself. That is more overt in import and too thoroughly telegraphed to miss. But the contrasting personas of the two are convincing and make for an interesting watch. This is still available as an inexpensive R2 PAL import, if one is interested.
August 12, 2009
A fantastic film. Two stars (Cash and Douglas) portray gunfighters past their prime who stage a gunfight for a pile of cash. Both men can use the money, but the real reason they decide to fight (and die) is to feel alive and useful again.

Shares themes of purpose, uselessness and direction with "Unforgiven" and "The Life Aquatic". Too bad Johnny Cash made so few films. This shows once again that he had a lot to offer as an actor.

The film appears to be out of print, so watch for it Encore! Western and make time for it if you ever have the chance to see it.
½ August 27, 2008
Awesome for those Johnny Cash fans!
January 6, 2008
You expect Kirk Douglas to perform well, but I was also glad to see Johnny Cash put on a good show, too. I think he's good within a very limited range, but this role was definitely within his capabilities. I watched it again tonight while lifting weights and it's a very engaging movie - and more thought-provoking than you might expect a western to be. Very interesting - and realistic - that the same people patting them on the back and cheering for them one moment would be betting to see which would kill each other the next. It says a lot about human nature that is still true today. And it was good to see them milk that for their own benefit. Funny, though, I had this memory of Kirk Douglas's death being faked and him walking away at the end - probably because of that "what if" scene at the end as Johnny Cash is leaving town.
November 26, 2007
Some novelty value in seeing Johnny Cash, but not much else to see really.
½ November 18, 2007
Interesting idea, but its gladiator theme gets too intellectualized. Still, it proves that The Man in Black could act a bit.
November 9, 2007
Fascinating, underrated "old man" western from the 70s with a twist
July 9, 2007
"You stay the hell away from me, you hear?"

If anyone knows where and how I can get a copy of this movie...please tell me.
½ June 1, 2007
Kirk Douglas er god, Johnny Cash er god, filmen så der.
May 30, 2007
It's worth seeing once. The writing is sub par.
May 4, 2007