Reviews

• Jun 27, 2021

Offbeat, comedy-lite about 60s social and political culture. Not particularly funny or interesting. Just a little flat but some decent sets and easy viewing. A young and chubby Ricki Lake stars. Guess that's how she got her chat show then…

• Nov 11, 2020

Just fantastic! In "Hairspray", it all comes together for a great comedic, feel good movie about the underdogs triumphing - on a lighter note against prejudice towards fat people and on a more serious note against the oppression of segregation in the early 1960's. And all of it set to some phenomenal music and dancing!

• Sep 03, 2020

This is a weird movie. I'm very surprised by how high the rotten tomatoes score is for this movie. It's not even that good.

• Sep 02, 2020

The comedy still holds up even today, with consistent laughs from start to finish. The movie is wacky and fun, to say the least. It's campy, but not enough to seem stale or hurt the enjoyment. It's not without its issues of course: the awkward kissing scenes, which the movie is loaded with, and the strawman-politics hinder the movie's flow. Anyone who is supposed to be racist in the film is depicted as an absolute lunatic, which ultimately undermines its message, and comes off as rather preachy. Overall this movie was enjoyable, and I can see why it has become a cult classic.

• Jul 12, 2020

Fun and surprisingly powerful.

Fun and surprisingly powerful.

• Jun 18, 2020

This movie is two things that I'm not a fan of: A chick flick and a dance film. On top of that, it had some silly moments here and there and the acting was a little off at times. But it wasn't a bad film, it was okay.

• Feb 25, 2020

By far Waters' most mainstream/easily accessible film, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining. It's super charming, infectious and carries a great message.

• Jan 12, 2020

The best "Hairspray" by far. The music is original to the time period of the film. The 60s come alive again, and Divine and Tracy are the new icons of the decade.

• Jan 11, 2020

I went with 2 stars I was going to give it more, but went with 2 stars, a classic John Waters movie. In my opinion one of his best movies if you are new to John Waters or his movies I say to watch this one first. I believe that this was the first John Waters movies I have ever seen, good movie in my opinion I liked it.

• May 13, 2019

Possibly one of the best movies of all time in its genre.

Possibly one of the best movies of all time in its genre.