Hard Times Reviews

• Aug 06, 2019

A bitter, brutal film about bare-knuckle (and illegal) prize-fighting during the Depression. Charles Bronson has one of his best roles as Chaney, a man of few words and no past, who battles burly boxers in and around New Orleans for a few bucks. James Coburn is his promoter and Strother Martin plays his opium-addicted corner man.

• Jan 20, 2019

Blobbo see at show. Blobbo like.

Blobbo see at show. Blobbo like.

• Apr 16, 2018

The movie is ok and the fight scenes are good and that's a bigger reason to watch this film.

• Mar 31, 2018

charles kicks the shit out a lot of folks

charles kicks the shit out a lot of folks

• May 04, 2017

Apart from the Death Wish franchise and The Great Escape and one or two others I realised that there was still a great many Charles Bronson films I wanted to watch so the opportunity to catch Hard Times (or Streetfighter in some territories) was to hard to resist. I'm glad I watched this great 1975 film that I had never heard of to be honest. In the year that perhaps launched director Steven Spielberg to the cinema premier league with Jaws. The director of Hard Times, Walter Hill was also a debutant in directing. The film is set in depression era 1930s New Orleans, US and follows the story of a drifter Chaney (Bronson) entering the city via a goods train and rising up the underground bare knuckle streetfighting fraternity. Amongst the fighting a secondary character, a hustler called Speed (played by another Great Escape veteran James Coburn is also featured.) Featuring great cinematography of the period setting and New Orleans location the film has several memorable scenes. As well as director Walter Hill I noticed the editor as Roger Spottiswoode (Tomorrow Never Dies).

• May 03, 2017

Awesome debut for Walter Hill, The whole cast shines in this, except for maybe Bronson's girlfriend... Bronson is tough as nails and short on patience as the wandering Street fighter with a code. And Coburn and Martin are super charming as always.

• Oct 12, 2016

Pour son premier film en tant que réalisateur, Walter Hill dirige Charles Bronson et James Coburn dans une comédie dramatique sur un promoteur véreux et un combattant à mains nues pendant la Grande Dépression. A travers le périple des deux amis, Hard Times raconte surtout une Amérique qui ne jure que par le moindre petit dollar qui peut être extorqué au débile du coin. En ce sens, le film est assez intéressant. Il l'est aussi lorsque Charles Bronson combat les plus gros malabars de l'époque et lorsque James Coburn use et abuse de son bagou pour se sortir des pires situations. Au-delà de ça, Hard Times tisse quelques lignes romantiques absolument inintéressante et finit de manière abrupte alors qu'on aurait aimé une petite demi-heure en plus. C'est dommage car il y a un grand film dans Hard Times. Ce n'est pas celui livré.

• Jul 28, 2016

I have always enjoyed a Charles Bronson movie, but this one is by far my favorite of his. Simply A+ in every category. LOVED IT!

• Jul 13, 2016

one of my all time favorites

one of my all time favorites

• May 08, 2016

Just a terrific feel good movie during some real wink wink hard times. If you like boxing and a great story during the depression then this is for you!