Harvey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harvey Reviews

February 23, 2017
Clever and hilarious. Truly enjoyable.
½ January 26, 2017
Throughout the insanity of the idea of this movie, it's a wonder that I felt as charmed and heartwarmwd as I did. This feels like the plot to a horror movie, but is balanced out by the likable nature of the characters and overall execution. James Stewart went all the way and have a delightful performance. But Josephine Hall brought a sense of order and humanity to such a strange film. Also the presence of Harvey through the entire film is felt in a erie, fantastical, but still charming way.
½ January 19, 2017
James Stewart is oh so pleasant in this classic comic fantasy. (First and only full viewing - Fall 2009)
January 11, 2017
Whimsical to the point of tooth decay, there is a darker subject left unexplored in Mary Chase's popular piece of fluff. Elwood P. Dowd is a lonely alcoholic who has compensated by inventing a 6' 4" rabbit companion and befriending every stranger he meets. The singular joke of course is that everyone else - particularly the psychiatrists and staff at the local rest home - are more bonkers than him. James Stewart is perfectly cast, and the supporting players offer the right seriousness to convince you there is more to Harvey than a rabbit-shaped hole.
½ December 2, 2016
This sweet movie is adorable like James Stewart's character, who charms us distributing business cards and being nice to everyone that he meets, while Josephine Hull deserved the Oscar she won for her hilarious, on-the-edge-of-hysteria performance.
½ November 23, 2016
I've never seen this movie until today. Wow! What a great movie and performance by Jimmy Stewart!
November 12, 2016
A wonderful adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize winning play largely due to superb casting and an agreeably light touch. Stewart seems like the only actor who could play this part. You have to accept that Elwood P. Dowd can charm people to the point that they are willing to ignore that he's a drunk who may be dangerously delusional. You buy that when it's Stewart. Like many studio comedies, the supporting cast is an embarrassment of riches.
September 17, 2016
Hollywood seldom makes films as charming as this anymore, Jimmy Stewart is his usual endearing self in this slightly odd comedy film. Left me feeling warm and happy and wanting a friend like Harvey. Worth viewing again and again over the years.
July 28, 2016
In my top 5 of all time... a masterpiece of whimsy
July 23, 2016
Harvey features James Stewart's best role and performance, and makes you feel good.
June 29, 2016
This movie overstayed its welcome, but it's ok. It has enough charm to enjoy. However, this is by no means one of the greatest movies.
½ June 19, 2016
Another lost flixster rating :(
June 18, 2016
And the moral of this story is: If you're dealing with addiction or insanity, run away as quick as you can!
½ March 7, 2016
The main takeaway of 'Harvey'? Being mentally ill is totally fine and doesn't require treatment as long as you're pleasant.
January 27, 2016
Whimsical, old fashioned and extremely likable. The film doesn't seem dated but some of the acting does, James Stewart is wonderful as Elwood P. Dowd, one of cinema's best loved characters but the supporting casts performances can grate a little. That though is my only criticism. The story is brilliant and James Stewart is at his best, a real slice of cinematic magic.
January 24, 2016
easily the best movie of all time. the acting is fabulous and the plot is so deeply intriguing.
January 13, 2016
It is an average movie that my mom has referred to my whole life but I could have went the rest of my life without seeing it. It was nice to learn about the Irish Pca ghost though.
January 5, 2016
This movie is comical and very abstract. It is a very unique film that has many unexpected twists in the situation. The movie is well written and has a very good actors that portrayed the illusion of the rabbit and the story very well.
January 4, 2016
If you are in the mood for a fun, cheerful, and unique movie, Harvey is the one to see. Filled with crazy characters, goofy acting, and humor fit for the whole family, this movie will leave you with a smile on your face and perhaps even the slight questioning of your own sanity.
December 18, 2015
While it mostly works on the back of Stewart's presence and Hull's looney performance, Harvey suffers from an extended focus on relatively uninteresting side-characters at the expense of Stewart's Dowd. The central premise works, but the film spends way too much time having Dowd explain the already simple central conceit to other characters, resulting in long dead-patches. Additionally, the script gets bogged down in contrivances that come off as though they were written with an end point in mind and, as a result, the progression doesn't feel natural. If the game of escalating misunderstandings is done well, it appears effortless and Harvey often feels labored in its attempt to move pieces from point A to point B. It's sweet and charming, but this is a minor work. Its status as a classic doesn't seem to hold up under further scrutiny.