Hawaii - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hawaii Reviews

½ April 25, 2015
Well made, but it was not especially enjoyable. Sad themes throughout.
½ April 21, 2015
The film feels dated and is laboring to get through.
January 26, 2014
good epic historical pic about Hawaii
November 28, 2013
A bit corny and too craftily calculated for recommendation, but epic nonetheless.
November 24, 2013
A Movie that stays with you because of the history
½ February 18, 2013
Nothing more than 162-minute drag of a movie. Does anything ever get solved? Nah, it really doesn't.
February 17, 2013
Great cast! This movie is very good from beginning to end. Watch it.
February 2, 2013
A sad but engaging movie, with some compelling and sympathetic characters, who face a great deal of tragedy. The final tragedy for Max Von Sydow's character, is the way the Reverend Hale is treated by his "church," when he finally becomes a Christian.
September 4, 2012
This movie is strange, but it's all right.
February 14, 2012
Superb acting tackle the quiet brutality of the Westernized world and it's destructive influence.
½ August 2, 2011
Literally, God-awful!!!!!!! Acting was excellent but content was just horrifying!!! WTH was that?
March 1, 2011
I have seen numerous movies in my entire lifetime and whether they are good or bad, the movies that I have watched always include some entertaining value. But with 1966's "Hawaii" I get a movie that really bored me out of my skull. Based off the novel of the same name by James A. Michener, starring Julie Andrews, Richard Harris, and Max Von Sydow, and directed by George Roy Hill, this movie is one that I cannot stand. Rest assured, it's a bad or terrible film per se, but it is a movie that is severely flawed. This movie is a boring snooze-fest that I personally think should be remade.

The plot of the movie centers on a band of Christian mercenaries to go to the islands of Hawaii and convert the natives living there to listen to the word of God. Lead by the Rev. Abner Hale (Sydow) and new wife Jerusha, they arrive at the islands during the 1800s to get rid of the native's old religious beliefs so that they will accept Jesus Christ as their Savior. What I mean by this is that the native Hawaiians habits include having all of the women swim out to new ships topless, and they practice incest, which Rev. Hale describes as immoral. The native Hawaiians do believe in the word of God unless Rev. Hale will curse their sins toward Hell.

"Hawaii" is a long and tedious adult drama. If someone is watching this movie for the first time all the way through, they will get the idea of foreigners coming to a native world and trying to change their lifestyles. We have seen this before in modern movies like "Pocahontas" and more recently "District 9". The acting in the movie is tolerable, but it would have been better had the cast been replaced with other actors. But what really puts me off throughout the rest of the film is the pacing. At nearly three hours long, the movie moves like a tortoise race. It gets almost nowhere. If this movie has a chance of being remade for today's audience, then I would probably appreciate it better. But as it stands, "Hawaii" is a boring that I cannot tolerate watching.

There is, however, one item on the agenda that I did enjoy the movie for. And that's the location of Hawaii itself. The scenery is amazing to look at and the cinematography captures the island's presence quite well. But that's the only good thing that I can say for this film.

Overall, "Hawaii" is a jumbled mess of a movie that could have been easily improved. If a remake does happen, then I might like it better. But as it stands, this film bores me with only a few entertaining moments.
jjnxn
½ November 19, 2010
Turgid, overlong epic has beautiful location scenery and a story with possibilities- organized religion's arrogant assumption that what it believes is right even if it destroys a civilization is right. While it conveys that in many ways something is ultimely missing from the overall film that keeps it from being involving keeping the viewer at a distance. Von Sydow is a fine actor but his Reverend Hale is such a pompous, small minded autocrat that spending over 2 1/2 hours with him is a trial. Julie Andrews is wasted although she does have one good scene near the end.
½ August 16, 2010
Maybe I had unsuitable mood or atitude or something but I found it sincerely funny. Especially first half. All the religion fanatism theme was so great. I also like the subject about cristians trying to change other cultures, believing they are only right, not addopting the other cultures and religions but changing drasticly, never wanting to discover, to learn something from others. I didn't know much about hawaiian culture before too so it was interesting for me. Especialy that atitude to live present, not tomorow but now.
Max was so funny for me. And Julie maybe isn't such a good as an actress but she so charming and sweet and generous, something you couldn't dislike. Her character gave so much to that story. Actualy I watch it only because of her and it was great to see her onscreen again. I pretty much like all the cast. Camera work is good too for the time. A bit lack of strong soundtrack. In general it's partly enjoyable, partly meaningful and serious movie.
½ April 4, 2010
August 15, 2009
God forbid this is the only movie you get to see.
½ June 29, 2009
Hawaii (1966) -- [5.0] -- I like Julie Andrews and Max Von Sydow, but they‚??re no fun in this flick about how the white man civilized the heathens of early 1800s Hawaii. Sydow plays one of the most self-righteous bastards I‚??ve ever seen in film. For me, the movie played out like an unintended tragedy, where a bunch of nice naked people who have lots of sex and drink lots of rum end up trading their funloving lifestyle for Jesus. Fortunately, it doesn‚??t end as piously as I‚??d feared. There are some welcome dark, dramatic turns toward the end. But for such a long movie (two hours and forty-five minutes), it‚??s hard to get into.
½ June 23, 2009
pew wee, somthin stink in har