The Hitcher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hitcher Reviews

September 18, 2016
Only recently checked this movie out about 29 years after the fact. It was a very well done and terrifying movie. One that should be in horror fan's dvd collection.
September 12, 2016
Um dos melhores filmes de suspense a que assisti, Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner) e C Thomas Howell (ET) estão perfeitos.
½ July 19, 2016
Probably not a popular opinion but this to me is one of the best from the eighties. The performances, the style, the violence, the camera work, the lack of dialogue in plenty of scenes replaced by visual storytelling and the fact the main character is pretty much useless in a hopeless situation makes me a tense film. Then there is the score which is so good and so underrated.
May 25, 2016
An 80s gem. Completely mental. I have a theory. Two years after the failed hit on Sarah Connor.Skynet sent Rutger Hauer back to do the job but he got fucked up and went on a killing spree. The Netherlands finest export is one sick and on fire. The scene with the play guns sent a chill down my spine.
February 17, 2016
I'm not going to say this is the "worst" or the "best" but The Hitcher isn't something I bargained for. I thought the trailer was better than the actual movie. I will give credit to C. Thomas Howell and Rutger Hauer as the two main antagonists in the movie and also Rutger's performance as John Ryder.
February 14, 2016
Well, some shit don't make sense. Some shit is just for entertainment.
½ February 7, 2016
What it lacks in story is forgiven for its excellent casting and relentless suspense. A total cult classic thriller.
February 5, 2016
Oh wow... I am NEVER stopping for a hitchhiker! lol Was expecting a cheesy, cheap B horror flick. I got a really good thriller, while most of it is cliche today, it still left me with some interesting twists.
January 26, 2016
Most unsettling psychological thriller I've ever seen.
½ January 7, 2016
Rutger Hauer plays one of the most enigmatic and mysterious villains in cinematic history. A truly horrifying force of nature.
½ October 19, 2015
The Hitcher is a nasty, cynical exercise in twisted violence, lacking any motivation, character development, or subtext that it's conceited enough to think it delivers.
½ October 18, 2015
The opening ten minutes of this movie is fantastic. There is so much tension built up in the opening, as Rutger Hauer basically threatens C. Thomas Howell the entire time, talking about cutting off people's limbs and cutting out their eyes. It's actually the highlight of the movie. After Rutger Hauer is thrown out of the car though, things start to go downhill. You still hold out hope that this is going to be a tense, suspense thriller, but it really turns into 80s action schlock. The plot is basically everywhere our main character goes, the hitcher is there and framing him for murders. So our hero has to evade capture from the police and the hitcher. It's so absurd how the hitcher somehow manages to one up so many cops. He kills an entire station full of cops somehow (off camera), he escapes a prison bus while being chained down and guarded by shotgun toting officers, and he manages to shoot down a helicopter with a freaking revolver while driving nearly 100 miles an hour on a dirt road. He barely qualifies as a serial killer and jumps fully into the realm of super villain. It's ridiculous, eye-rolling stuff. The scenes of dialogue between Hauer and Howell are the highlight of the film, but I never got a grasp of what the hitcher actually wanted. And the end when Howell says "It's something he has to do" when referring to finding and killer Hauer, it comes off as confusing. Why does he have to do this? Watching The Hitcher was kind of like watching North by Northwest... if Alfred Hitchcock directed horrible 80s schlock. I can't give it too much hate, as it has some good moments (the truck scene), but it's just such a dumb movie. I never understood the high praise the movie got, as it's basically a few good moments strung together by dumb moments.
½ July 21, 2015
Wow! One of the best horror/thriller's I've ever seen. I exaggerate not. We're talkin' in-depth psychology. Suspense galore. And the performance's are SO good they're hair-raising. This isn't just your average B-movie thriller. It is almost flawlessly written & executed. The greatness of Hauer's performance cannot be over-exaggerated. And C. Thomas Howell is unbelievably effective as the victim. And if that wasn't enough, Jennifer Jason Leigh's superb characterization & presence puts it over the top. There is one scene where Howell finally one-ups Hauer, & his reaction is so visceral you'd think you were watching home video. This is the kind of movie where you can't even believe the extent of the evil the bad guy achieves...& just when you think the circumstances he creates couldn't possibly get any worse, he proves you wrong again. Scared the crap outta me as a kid & is the sole reason I don't pick up hitchhikers to this day. SO eerie & SO thrilling. There's some suspension of disbelief, but I'm okay with that. It's not an epic masterpiece, but for what it IS, it couldn't have been done better.
June 20, 2015
Fairly decent for an 80's road horror flick. It does lose its momentum about half way through, but it does have a bit of a payoff. Certainly not one of the greats though.
May 15, 2015
A good concept B Movie but after a great start in the first 45 minutes or so it goes a bit mental and loses the plot. Hauer is a great villain as the Hitchhiker, playing it genuinely on the bonkers side. It's only when it all goes a bit 'Terminator' in the final third that you start to lose interest.
May 6, 2015
Rutger Hauer will scare the sh*t out of you
February 23, 2015
End of the film.

EXT. LONE HIGHWAY. AFTERNOON

The kid shoots Rider, sending him down the long sandy bank.

He then returns to Sheriff's stolen 4x4 to smoke a cigarette as he is silhouetted onto the sun set.

FADE OUT:
TO BLACK SCREEN

FADE IN:

EXT.LONE HIGHWAY. NIGHT

Jim Halsey is dragging his feet down the highway, nothing but the sound of night, until dotted headlights of a car rolls up over the hill.

Jim sticks his thumb, the car stops a few feet ahead. He opens the door to the Cadillac almost identical to his from the beginning. Theres a young good looking woman in the drivers seat.

INT. CADILLAC. NIGHT

He doesn't speak as he falls into the passengers seat.

WOMAN:
Never picked up a hitchhiker before...
whats your name ?

Jim ignores her, until he slams shuts the door and turns to her with cold eye's.

Jim Halsey
call me.. Jack... Jack Rider!

He sais as he smirks at her. The screen freezes on 'Jack Riders' face.

JUMP CUT TO:

Roll Credits...

Obliviously I'm joking but this is what I imagine happens when it end
February 11, 2015
better than most horrors of that era
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
The original version and soon a remake is on its way and this one is good enough i think. Rutger Hauer plays the cruel mad hitcher here and does it very good. Nice thriller overall.
½ September 17, 2014
Thrilling and suspenseful. Rutger Hauer is masterfully creepy in the title role. (First and only viewing - 9/8/2014)