The Hitcher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hitcher Reviews

October 19, 2017
Solid little thriller. Rutger Hauer did a phenomenal job as the villain.
August 1, 2017
An unimaginative but competent slasher that keeps the tension going with a massacre about every 15 minutes.
July 16, 2017
An absolute CLASSIC.
April 12, 2017
Mischievously dark, occasionally disturbing and daringly shocking at one point, it's a movie that once seen is never forgotten.
½ April 4, 2017
A gripping film. Rutger Hauer was a genius choice to portray the titular role and definitely stands out amid the rather amateurish cast. For the most part, "The Hitcher" is a fascinatingly haunting offering, darkly-lit, and with some very well-directed sequences (eg. at the diner). The finale felt a little underwhelming but the ride was a definite thrill.
March 20, 2017
One of the few decent slasher thriller's ever made with great, driving performances from Hauer & Howell. Harmon's direction & visual depiction of the American wastelands add an epic yet isolated trepidation to the proceedings
September 18, 2016
Only recently checked this movie out about 29 years after the fact. It was a very well done and terrifying movie. One that should be in horror fan's dvd collection.
September 12, 2016
Um dos melhores filmes de suspense a que assisti, Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner) e C Thomas Howell (ET) estão perfeitos.
½ July 19, 2016
Probably not a popular opinion but this to me is one of the best from the eighties. The performances, the style, the violence, the camera work, the lack of dialogue in plenty of scenes replaced by visual storytelling and the fact the main character is pretty much useless in a hopeless situation makes me a tense film. Then there is the score which is so good and so underrated.
May 25, 2016
An 80s gem. Completely mental. I have a theory. Two years after the failed hit on Sarah Connor.Skynet sent Rutger Hauer back to do the job but he got fucked up and went on a killing spree. The Netherlands finest export is one sick and on fire. The scene with the play guns sent a chill down my spine.
February 17, 2016
I'm not going to say this is the "worst" or the "best" but The Hitcher isn't something I bargained for. I thought the trailer was better than the actual movie. I will give credit to C. Thomas Howell and Rutger Hauer as the two main antagonists in the movie and also Rutger's performance as John Ryder.
February 14, 2016
Well, some shit don't make sense. Some shit is just for entertainment.
½ February 7, 2016
What it lacks in story is forgiven for its excellent casting and relentless suspense. A total cult classic thriller.
February 5, 2016
Oh wow... I am NEVER stopping for a hitchhiker! lol Was expecting a cheesy, cheap B horror flick. I got a really good thriller, while most of it is cliche today, it still left me with some interesting twists.
January 26, 2016
Most unsettling psychological thriller I've ever seen.
½ January 7, 2016
Rutger Hauer plays one of the most enigmatic and mysterious villains in cinematic history. A truly horrifying force of nature.
½ October 19, 2015
The Hitcher is a nasty, cynical exercise in twisted violence, lacking any motivation, character development, or subtext that it's conceited enough to think it delivers.
½ October 18, 2015
The opening ten minutes of this movie is fantastic. There is so much tension built up in the opening, as Rutger Hauer basically threatens C. Thomas Howell the entire time, talking about cutting off people's limbs and cutting out their eyes. It's actually the highlight of the movie. After Rutger Hauer is thrown out of the car though, things start to go downhill. You still hold out hope that this is going to be a tense, suspense thriller, but it really turns into 80s action schlock. The plot is basically everywhere our main character goes, the hitcher is there and framing him for murders. So our hero has to evade capture from the police and the hitcher. It's so absurd how the hitcher somehow manages to one up so many cops. He kills an entire station full of cops somehow (off camera), he escapes a prison bus while being chained down and guarded by shotgun toting officers, and he manages to shoot down a helicopter with a freaking revolver while driving nearly 100 miles an hour on a dirt road. He barely qualifies as a serial killer and jumps fully into the realm of super villain. It's ridiculous, eye-rolling stuff. The scenes of dialogue between Hauer and Howell are the highlight of the film, but I never got a grasp of what the hitcher actually wanted. And the end when Howell says "It's something he has to do" when referring to finding and killer Hauer, it comes off as confusing. Why does he have to do this? Watching The Hitcher was kind of like watching North by Northwest... if Alfred Hitchcock directed horrible 80s schlock. I can't give it too much hate, as it has some good moments (the truck scene), but it's just such a dumb movie. I never understood the high praise the movie got, as it's basically a few good moments strung together by dumb moments.
½ July 21, 2015
Wow! One of the best horror/thriller's I've ever seen. I exaggerate not. We're talkin' in-depth psychology. Suspense galore. And the performance's are SO good they're hair-raising. This isn't just your average B-movie thriller. It is almost flawlessly written & executed. The greatness of Hauer's performance cannot be over-exaggerated. And C. Thomas Howell is unbelievably effective as the victim. And if that wasn't enough, Jennifer Jason Leigh's superb characterization & presence puts it over the top. There is one scene where Howell finally one-ups Hauer, & his reaction is so visceral you'd think you were watching home video. This is the kind of movie where you can't even believe the extent of the evil the bad guy achieves...& just when you think the circumstances he creates couldn't possibly get any worse, he proves you wrong again. Scared the crap outta me as a kid & is the sole reason I don't pick up hitchhikers to this day. SO eerie & SO thrilling. There's some suspension of disbelief, but I'm okay with that. It's not an epic masterpiece, but for what it IS, it couldn't have been done better.
June 20, 2015
Fairly decent for an 80's road horror flick. It does lose its momentum about half way through, but it does have a bit of a payoff. Certainly not one of the greats though.