Hobson's Choice Reviews

• May 20, 2019

Delightful film! Strong acting. I love the story of a young woman breaking the shackles of the male patriarchy.

• May 31, 2018

Hobson’s Choice has an interesting plot structure. It establishes the theme of the story early on, but then it shifts perspective while still maintaining the same core story, and eventually it shifts back. You can track this by the location where the events take place as it moves from one house to another and back again. Charles Laughton is entertaining playing this drunken patriarch, and he is ostensibly the lead of the film. It doesn’t take long for us to get the idea of who this man is, and where he needs to grow and improve himself. His performance brought a lot of the laughs to the film, as long as you’re comfortable laughing at alcoholism. Sometimes I struggle with that, but when it’s over-the-top like this I don’t mind so much. The unexpected aspect of this film is that it allows Laughton to almost completely disappear for the entire second act. It is at this time that Brenda de Banzie and John Mills take center stage. The two of them are a funny pair, and watching a man get browbeaten into marriage was kind of hilarious. I thought it was great that Brenda de Banzie plays the most competent, smartest, and strongest character in the entire film. Sure, her methods were a wee bit heavy-handed and could be seen as inappropriate or offensive in the real world, but for the sake of a comedic film I don’t care. Besides as things start to grow between her and John Mills, there is a lot of heart added to the story. His character arc is handled so well because you can almost use him as the reference point for the passage of time as he slowly gains more confidence. I was a bit frustrated with the other two sisters and how they were used in the film. I thought the story would have worked a lot better if all three sisters remained a united front, but they fall into bickering and some jealousy which I could have done without. That being said, Hobson’s Choice is still a charming little film with heart and a few good laughs. The plot was unexpected and unique, so I would recommend it to others.

• Feb 03, 2018

Another one of the little movies of David Lean's before his monumental epics. Hilarious old school comedy with inimitable Charles Laughton. It's a delight to uncover such gems in filmographies of great directors. Laughton plays a father of three daughters who has not wife and he's an alcoholic, and his daughters are of marrying age. And so all the following comedic situations ensue from this premise.

• Sep 16, 2017

Brilliant Slice of Historical Feminist Comedy.

Brilliant Slice of Historical Feminist Comedy.

• Oct 08, 2016

wonderful British classic. hobsons three daughters want to marry but he refuses to let it happen. Charles Laughton is simply superb as hobson

• Sep 17, 2016

Five Stars it's Hobson's Choice

Five Stars it's Hobson's Choice

• Jul 23, 2016

Loved it!! An absolute delight! It made me smile over and over. I second another reviewer who said it makes the old seem wonderfully new.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jan 30, 2016

Although it pretends to be about shop owner Laughton and his difficulties with his trio of daughters, David Lean's intimate little comedy is really about one daughter's triumphant break for freedom from the shackles of a drunken male patriarchy and her taking a simple shop's assistant with her. It's the humanity in this that counts and the actors are wonderful conveying just that.

• Nov 13, 2015

"Are you asking me to give up my reasonable refreshment?" When Charles Laughton chases the moon while drunk, it is truly memorable!

• Jan 20, 2015

Otra delicia visual de David Lean, Charles Laughton apabullante.

Otra delicia visual de David Lean, Charles Laughton apabullante.