Holiday Affair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Holiday Affair Reviews

December 24, 2015
i have watched it about 5 times! Thanx TCM! Love the movie!
December 2, 2015
I wasn't feeling this one, I bailed after 10 minutes. The kid annoyed me and it felt slow. Maybe just wasn't in the mood.
January 11, 2014
I love the classics, but, I thought this one was just an ok holiday romantic comedy and the storyline only believable in Hollywood.
½ December 26, 2013
Although a much lesser known Christmas movie this one is absolutely wonderful. Lots of fun with some really good acting and a very entertaining story. Robert Mitchum and the little boy are great,
December 26, 2013
I found "Holiday Affair" to be a pleasant surprise. While it has a basis in Hollywood love triangle tropes, the path it takes is full of unexpected twists that kept me watching. It has an expected conclusion for a film of its time, but the ride to that conclusion is fun. And it's always a pleasure to see Janet Leigh and Robert Mitchum at work.
½ December 24, 2013
Hated it. Couldn't even finish it.
December 24, 2013
I'd never heard of or watched this Christmas film before and I quite liked it. Robert Mitchum is one of my favorite actors, so that may slant my view to be impartial to the film, but it's a nice change of pace for Mitchum to play a romantic role. Janet Leigh is a single mom with two suitors, one is Bob Mitchum and the other is Wendell Corey. Janet Leigh is very likable as the lead of the film, trying to figure out who would be the better husband and father to her son. After watching the film, I realized I haven't really seen that many films with Leigh (besides, of course, "Touch of Evil" and "Psycho") and now want to see her in more. All around, it's a charming little film that was a flop at the time of it's release because audiences were too accustomed to seeing Mitchum play a tough guy and didn't care to see him as a romantic lead. I think this film deserves to become one of the pantheon of classic Christmas films.
December 23, 2013
Extremely charming and cute but overlooked christmas movie. I really recommend it to classic movie-lovers!

The story evolves around Connie (Janet Leigh), a young beautiful widow with a six-year old son, Timmy.
Connie works as a "commercial spy" and runs along at shopping malls at christmas time, and "buys" things just to figure out the price and the quality of the product, only to return the product the next day and inform the she currently works for.
Shortly before christmas, she buys an exclusive model train by the clerk Steve (Robert Mitchum) who immediately gets suspicious when she says he doesn't need to wrap it in.
After coming home and leaving the big box, unattended for a short while, little Timmy peeks into it and gets overjoyed believing he's going to get it for christmas. He doesn't realize the train is not to be given to him, since his mother could never afford buying it for real.

Connie is not really short of suitors, beautiful as she is, and a pretty well off man named Carl (Wendell Corey) whom she's been dating for a while has just proposed to her. The only thing is that he doesn't get along with little Timmy.
Timmy isn't really excited about it, since he is used to be "the man in the house" and think that despite things are fine the way they are.
Next day, Connie bumps into Steve and learns that he lost his job at the toy department because he didn't report her as "spy". To make up for it, she agrees having lunch with Steve and makes some shopping. However, they lose each other is the mass and Steve how still is carrying some of Connie's shopping bags, looks up her address and visits her. He gets along with Timmy really well, and treats him as an little adult. Timmy also tells him about the disappointment, with the train ...he had noticed his mother had returned it...

This is one of Janet Leigh's first big roles, and she copes with it well. But it's undoubtedly Robert Mitchum who is the real star of this wonderful movie.
The boy playing Timmy is a real charmer (Gordon Gebert, who later had a small child actor career after this, thanks to his great performance here), and this movie witness how good Robert Mitchum were with children, both on and off screen. A funny thing, considering his swan song role in The Night of the Hunter. What few people know is that it was actually Robert Mitchum who directed the children, since Charles Laughton (the legendary actor who was the director of Night of the Hunter) couldn't stand children at all.
½ December 22, 2013
Surprisingly, the best character is the little boy.
December 15, 2013
Love those old movies from the 40'S this one was sooo good!
½ December 7, 2013
A cute low key Christmas Film that I believe is one of Robert Mitchell's early films. Simply the story of a war bride who hasn't enough money to buy her son a present & an outspoken charismatic toy shop worker who buys it for her son.

It's a simple film but there are many likeable characters & it flows well. It's has a charm to it & I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Out of the Hollywood output at Christmas this one is seldom mentioned by its well worth a watch much better than I expected.
½ July 3, 2013
It's an ok, not bad holiday film. Certainly doesn't rank up there with It's A Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th Street
Mr Awesome
½ February 1, 2013
"Holiday Affair" is a sweet if slight film revolving around a love triangle (or more accurately, a love pentagram) as a war widow (Janet Leigh) is romanced by two opposing suitors: one, an ideal companion and father for her young son, the other, an impulsive and brash (yet charming) idealist (Robert Mitchum), who is noble almost to a fault. Wendell Corey plays the widow's next door neighbor, loyal and doting, pretending not to notice (so blinded he is by love) that his affections aren't returned in quite the same ardent fashion. A chance meeting with suitor #2 and it's clear which one she could fall for. But he is wary of entering a relationship with a woman so clearly pining away for her dead husband. In the end, it's not between suitors the woman must choose, but between the living and the dead.
½ December 29, 2012
Mitchum. To put as little effort in as he appears to, well, it takes a lot of effort. Surely. Well, whatever, I can't imagine this film working so charmingly or so well with anybody else playing his role. Apparently he appeared in this film to make reparations in the eyes of the cinema-going public for getting a rap for smoking 'jazz cigarettes'. I would have carried on loving him anyway. But this film makes me love him "just a little bit more", especially at this festive time of year.
December 25, 2012
My wife and watched this movie for the first time on Christmas eve day and loved it! We are old enough to remember Mitchum and Leigh in other movies and simply thought it was a wonderful little movie, not big time, but hits the Christmas spirit on the head! We rank it easy 8 on scale of 10. If you like Christmas in Connecticut you will like this old time black and white movie.
December 19, 2012
a delightful but largely overlooked holiday movie.
½ December 16, 2011
This was such a pleasant movie, and a surprise! Great for the holidays. The kid in this movie is awesome!
December 14, 2011
Such a wonderful movie! I like this Christmas story a lot. Very classy and romantic. Wise dialogs and charming performance of Janet Leigh.
May 24, 2011
I think I liked this movie so much because of Tim, who is really a swell kid. One might believe that Connie has to choose between two men in her life, but Tim is the one who takes the final decision.
I also enjoyed breakfast in the park, when unexpected things can happen to those warm hearted who take care of orphan squirrels.