Holiday Affair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Holiday Affair Reviews

½ February 19, 2011
i saw this in a store around christmas time and started laughing immediately and then bought it without ever having seen it. it was a gift to my girlfriend, i just thought the cover was hilarious.

i thoroughly enjoyed this film from start to finish. it was worth far more than what i paid.

my girl and i both had fun watching it. i highly recommend it as something to watch around x-mas season or hell on any occasion you want to watch something romantic.

very rarely do i enjoy romantic films.
December 20, 2010
Just watched this for the first time tonight with my mom and my girlfriend. Very genuine in its sweetness and exceptionally well-written with nice twists and turns. Robert Mitchum is such a fucking badass. And Janet Leigh has some amazing breasts. I miss point bras, dude. Torpedo tits need to come back.
½ October 24, 2010
A cute, but predictable, romantic comedy with a good cast.
½ January 6, 2010
Holiday Affair is one of the best holiday films out there. Janet Leigh and Robert Mitchum are perfect as the widow and the unemployed store clerk. This film shows the true spirit of Christmas during the holidays. A must see for if you're a fan of Robert Mitchum or Janet Leigh.
December 22, 2009
This movie tries to answer the question that has puzzled mankind since it's conception. What do women want, nice guys or guys with money? I'm thinking the answer is guys who will sit thru a movie that addresses said question.
December 7, 2009
It's great when an actor plays against type with charming results. Mitchum is clever, witty and easily likeable with his dog eyed presence. What is really impressive, though, is Timmy. He plays a six year old; he doesn't over do it or under do it. It's pitch perfect. A very sweet film with some great lines. Worth adding to the Christmas watch list.
December 5, 2009
WOW!!! What a holiday surprise! Thank you Jenny for sharing. I absolutely LOVE this movie!!!
½ December 5, 2009
gosh i just love this movie. it's my favourite christmastime movie.
November 30, 2009
One of my favorite Christmas movies.
½ November 25, 2009
Minor Christmas charmer with some very honest performances, particularly from child actor Gorden Gebert. He really tugs at your heart strings without being cornball.
May 13, 2009
Small children in movies are so often squeaky and annoying. I mean, I understand when Timmy (Gordon Gebert) makes his displeasure at the idea that his mother's marrying someone he doesn't like known. I understand his making his preference known. I understand most of what he does. What I do not understand is why he does it all in that slightly higher-pitched-than-necessary, definitely too loud voice. It's possible, I think, that directors who don't know how to handle children (director Don Martin only made five movies) think that the only way children can be made to speak clearly is to speak loudly and shrilly. Or maybe they think it's how children sound. Now, it's true that children [i]can[/i] be loud and shrill. However, when in serious conversation--as Timmy is shown several times here--they tend to lower the pitch of their voice as if they know (and maybe they do) that lower voices sound more adult and therefore more convincing. Maybe it's yet more evidence of adults who don't really pay attention to children.

Connie Ennis (Janet Leigh) is a comparison shopper. For some reason, this actually entails buying and then returning products, surely a thing that would make the unwanted comparison shoppers awfully noticeable to store employees whose job partially entails noticing them, but never mind. At any rate, she buys a very large and elaborate electric train from Steve Mason (Robert Mitchum), which she must then convince her son isn't for him. At any rate, she returns the train the next day. Mitchum tells her that he won't turn her in provided she never returns to his department again. A floorwalker notices this, and he is fired. He spends the rest of the film trying to win over Connie from her boyfriend, Carl Davis (Wendell Corey) before she marries him on New Year's Day. This even entails giving Timmy a train that costs $78 [i]in 1949 dollars[/i].

I don't really like Steve. Carl's main failing seems to be that he is bland, though there are a few moments that show something a little less pleasant. On the other hand, he freely declares that he has no family, so maybe he's just not used to dealing with one. Certainly he doesn't know how to deal with Timmy, but really, that's something any stepparent must work out. On the other hand, Steve doesn't consult with Connie about whether it's okay with her if he gives her kid such an enormously expensive gift. He proposes to her in front of her fiancÚ, son, and the parents of her late husband. (He was killed in the War; Timmy does not and could not remember him.) He works a bit on justifying it, but oh, come on. This is just after several people have expressed their good wishes for the upcoming wedding. There were so many better ways of handling that. He says that any man has the right to propose to the woman he loves, but it simply isn't true. And even if it were, there are times and places, and that wasn't one of them.

It's kind of impressive, really, how clear Timmy's sense of economics turns out to me. Steve doesn't have money, he finds out. The train, he knows, was expensive. Ergo, the solution to the problem is to return the train--oh, he knew that you could return things; his mom does all the time--and give Steve the money. This is quite sensible, especially for a boy of six. (It's listed, on the page for the remake, as being a goof that a woman calls him six before he says how old he is, but anyone who spends any time around kids could work out an approximate age fairly easily.) He really wants the train. He really loves having gotten a gift from Steve. But he knows that Steve needs the money more than he needs the train.

My heart just isn't as warmed as they want it to be. Oh, I'm sure an argument could be made that this is because I am watching a Christmas movie in May, and it might even be a good one. But for one thing, I think a good movie is a good movie no matter what time of year you're watching. (It can depend on your mood, of course.) There are movies I only watch in the summer, but this is because they are movies that do not require me to exert myself thinking; this is assuredly not an indication that they're good. Better to say that the emotional impact of a movie shouldn't depend on whether it's December or May, given that it's not much warmer here and now than it is in December back home. For another thing, most of the release dates listed for [i]It's a Wonderful Life[/i], a dozen or so of the European ones, stretch from March to September. So.
½ March 13, 2009
When I rewatched this one recently, I fell in love all over again with Robert Mitchum's character (OK -- and with Mr. Mitchum himself). This one is a true classic?a film that gets very little attention during the holiday season, but should be up there with those notables Miracle on 34th Street and The Bishop's Wife. Mitchum plays a wandering ex-Army man, who really just wants to make enough money to move to California and build boats. But, to save for the trip, he works retail stores at Christmas. Janet Leigh plays a widowed single mother who works as a comparison shopper?going from store to store buying things to compare prices at different places. She encounters Mitchum during one of her buys and the sparks start from the get-go. Even though she has a fella who's sweet on her, she and her adorable son gravitate to the charming and debonair Mitchum. I mean, I sure would. Wouldn't you?
January 11, 2009
nothing beats these old movies! The new one with Cynthia Gibbs is okay too, but this one is best!
January 9, 2009
pretty decent holiday comedy. the story's not very cohesive and some of the dialogue's a bit heavy on the schmaltz, but the cast is entertaining, particularly Mitchum. nothing especially original, and the charm comes more from idealist fantasies than reality, but it's still an ok film.
January 9, 2009
December 22, 2008
A very young Janet Leigh and Robert Mitchum are in this delightful old movie about a young war widow with a little boy and two men both very much in love with her; but her inability to completely commit to either of them because for her lingering grief or her husband who died in the war. Actually a light-hearted movie with a little more substance to it than other low budgets like it of this era. Nice old "Christmas movie" that is one you may not have seen.
December 17, 2008
Really cute Christmas flick. Typical Mitchum quips but an untypical character for him.
December 6, 2008
This classic, adorable film is sure to entertain. It gives of nostaligic vibes of a simpler time; full of Christmas spirit.
October 21, 2008
Great Holiday romance and a unique role for Hollywood tough-guy Robert Mitchum.
May 19, 2008
Lesser known Christmas movie with Janet Leigh as a widower torn between two men for the holidays.