100 Girls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

100 Girls Reviews

May 3, 2016
A very cheesey and sometimes visually awkward but definitely an enjoyable movie. Will add to my movie collection at some point
½ March 31, 2016
Poorly written and perverted. It's dumb, immature and annoying. (First and only viewing - 3/20/2016)
May 22, 2015
I came across this gem in early 2001 on DVD when a buddy of mine said, "Jay, how is it possible you haven't seen this movie?!" Director Michael Davis was somewhat a hero of mine ever since he cast Keri Russell in Eight Days a Week, a movie about a geek who tries to woo a beautiful girl by sitting under her window all summer long. Classic movie and the dialogue is very Dawson-esque. In my opinion, it's truly fantastic, but we're talking 100 Girls right now.

Now Michael Davis brings you 100 Girls and I use the term 'now' loosely because it was made back in the year 2000. So here's a movie starring Jonathan Tucker (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hostage) as Matthew, a boy who shares an incredible night with the lady of his dreams. The problem is the night was spent in a dark elevator during a blackout. He never even sees her face. The next morning she took off so his quest starts with the women's dorm. So there's your story. Kinda lame by movie standards but for some reason here, it all works. Utilizing gross out measures like any good post American Pie teen love story, Davis conveys exactly what it's like to be a college freshman who just wants to get a date with the girl he thinks he loves.

With tons of young stars on the brink of blowing up like Katherine Heigl, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Jaime Pressley, James DeBello and Marissa Rabisi - there's a lot of interesting characters and arch brought to life with real heart.

It's relevancy really comes from the male dominated genre of seeing women through a dude's eyes. But when the story comes around, it boomerang's into some interesting archetypes of how Matthew really is a true feminist, seeing all of the women in the dorm as his equal instead of a quest. I may be reaching here, but I like when cinema takes stances and this film, as small and unseen as it is, does just that.

Looks like your best bet for this one might just be on iTunes this time around. Enjoy!
½ October 1, 2014
KISMETIC DESTINY!?!?!?!!? Thank you, Captain Redundant! This was one of the STUPIDEST waste of more than 2 hours of my life I'll never get back!!
August 24, 2014
Dumb gross out comedy did nothing for me.
April 29, 2014
pretty subpar. if I wanted to watch a raunchy comedy inf other american pie or van wilder
February 15, 2014
Good movie if nothing better is on. Loved the 'yet unknown' stars
½ January 18, 2014
Actually not terrible by the end. This early aughts horndog comedy starts with some terrible and trite stereotypes about college guys, college girls, and what they'd do for bad college sex - all layered with an incessantly monologuing leading doofus.

Matthew, the doofus character starts arcing half an hour in though, and his hopelessly romantic quest for finding The One becomes more complex and endearing as he starts earnestly exploring the tensions between the sexes instead of just subscribing to his dude-brah roommate's defense mechanism of misogyny or letting his misguided Women's Studies professor blame men for all manners of perceived patriarchal sins.

The movie still pats its male writer and character on the back for playing the hero against sexual assault and for being the first to speak of gender equality and understanding (in fair albeit elementary terms). Even though Matthew's climactic speech is very sweet (filled with both stereotypical yet comforting gender cues and genuine promises about commitment and respect), traditional gender roles are still in place: the dude makes a sweeping declaration of love, and the gaggle of girls swoons.

The supporting cast of ladies starts off without personality or each with only one, odd defining quirk, but the characters played by Larisa Oleynik, Katherine Heigl, Jaime Pressly, Marissa Ribisi, and a [Ben Wa] ballsy and sensual Emmanuelle Chriqui (whom I thought was a young contemporary of Nina Dobrev's but actually isn't), eventually round out the varying levels of estrogen.
June 20, 2013
Tucker is great, but the idea is just okay.
½ June 15, 2013
Any attempt it makes at humor fails miserably, further emphasizing the film's shallow, misogynistic and immature nature. It's a romantic comedy that feels like it was written by an adolescent who has little to no understanding of sex or women.
March 14, 2013
Far from the teen movies of yesteryear, but has it's fair share of youngster fun
½ January 22, 2013
I can't believe this stuff gets filmed, sometimes.
½ December 28, 2012
saw late one night on HBO and havent watched since. but remember it being a very silly but entertaining comedy
½ December 19, 2012
u thinks that showing boobs can make ur movie hit then u r wrong
December 16, 2012
Not a bad movie at all. I didn't expect much from it. Somewhere, at the back of my mind, I thought it would be one of those utterly gross-out and mindless flicks, riddled with demeaning slurs, and cheap and lurid tricks against the woman kind. But I was pleasantly surprised by the thoughtfulness the director had invested in this movie. It's a simple story of a boy trying to find the girl he had a sexual encounter with in an elevator during a power outage. The mystery of that girl is what drives the whole movie forward, allowing the lead character and us the viewers, to reflect on the contrasting natures of the two kind, albeit in tender and intellectual ways. It's very uncanny for a movie of this kind to have such reverence for the opposite sex and to have its male lead pack in so much of empathy and compassion for women. It was enlightening at times but never heavy-handed. Yes, there were bits to satisfy the naughty in you, but nothing went overboard and it was all done in good taste. All in all, a movie that you can even watch with your other half, without worrying about how she'd take the unhealthy bits most of these movies spew out, because, simply put, that's not in this movie. It's just a sweet, sometimes meandering, but ultimately, an honest effort in telling a simple story without the usual pitfalls of gross-out humour one devises by targeting the gentler kind.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
½ November 29, 2012
Holy cow what a cheesy piece of crap. No one in the useless film should have been ever allow to work again . This movie was essentially a saved by the bell episode lengthened into a movie. Except twice the cheese.
½ November 8, 2012
Reasonably funny romcom.
½ November 1, 2012
Stupid But Entertaining
October 29, 2012
I expect it will be bad but I'm oddly curious.