Intolerance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Intolerance Reviews

September 29, 2016
A grand epic which pushed the boundaries of movie storytelling - by shuffling between five different storylines which could have each been given 55-70 minutes separately as a separate film.

Storytelling often has a similar arc: into, conflict, secondary conflict, resolution, & ending. Each tale has a measure of hatred & intolerence as a theme, and while this is an worthy experiment in editing it proves just too much for an audience's attention span.
½ September 10, 2016
Certainly incredible, but it went a bit too far.
July 16, 2016
If Citizen Kane didn't exist, I would vote "Intolerance" as THE masterpiece of American cinema. It's to cinema what Da Vinci is to art. Nothing can escape its influence. Orson Welles said it deserves anything that is said about it. It has its feet straddled between two worlds, one of incredibly old feeling 19th century sentimentalism that would have felt old even in 1916, and a such a forward thinking revolutionary genius that Welles also said it would be "new tomorrow." It's a movie that literally took my breath away. That never happens. Go see it.
½ April 24, 2016
This 3 hour silent film, and I mean silent as there is not even any music, is a nightmare to follow and even worse to try and make sense of. I reckon it has been considered a classic due to some of the grand set designs which must have been quite impressive in 1916.
½ May 1, 2015
D.W Griffith's incredible follow up to the epic & controversial Birth of a Nation (1915) that was effective 4 stories throughout history about intolerance & the common similarity in all four.

Considering the scope of film it's unbelievable it got made I believe the director poured around 2,000,000 into the film & largely went to his elaborate Babylonian sets that where 60 feet high.

The modern story set in 1913 (Had to comprehend modern) is by far the best & I believe was the major inspiration for Clint Eastwood in his climax for True Crime in 1999. It's an incredible achievement & a true feat in cinema.
April 20, 2015
Confusing, but yet somehow manages to engage the viewer in its stories. Constance Talmadge is stunning as the mountain girl, and Lilian Gish as the eternal mother offers us a great and iconic movie moment.
½ December 28, 2014
For me, it is difficult to watch silent movies. This one also adds the problem that tries to be very epic, and, also, seems a continuous apology from the scenes that looked racist from The Birth of a Nation. However, although the movie is just 2 stars for me, I add half a star by its message of tolerance (whatever it was the original reason, it was an important message in that time) and, also, because the sets resembling Babylon are great. So, between 2.5 and 3 stars.
December 26, 2014
Intolerance, it does something that a lot of pictures fail to do, and it is to make one film happens in many places, brilliant DW Griffith, is so
certainly in light of this masterpiece.
½ December 3, 2014
With the grand depiction of the fall of Babylon, the passion of Jesus Christ, the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre and a modern American story of intolerance in the 1910s, Griffith revealed to us that he is not a racist.
½ November 30, 2014
This is the kind of movie I just find immense. Reading about the production and history behind the film is just as intriguing as the film itself, possibly even more so. It's not something i rate highly because I found it overly entertaining. It's simply a commanding piece of film history that demands your attention then gains your respect. Highly recommended for film buffs. Hell even some casual fans may find it interesting!
October 8, 2014
Go see it now. It will surprise you how wonderful this movie is.
½ September 1, 2014
49.

A few friends and I recently started watching the films from the AFI 100 Years List (2007, latest update). We're watching them in chronological order to get the effect of film's evolution throughout American cinema history (mostly because one of my friends has seen very few films, and maybe only five on the list).

The earliest is this (1916 - the only entry from its decade), D.W. Griffith's apology for all that racist stuff in BIRTH OF A NATION. But that's a rather unfortunate way to view the film, and a bit of trivia that trivializes a truly epic film. Boasting some of the most staggering sets of any film ever and uniting various turning points in history through its title theme, this is the movie definition of impressive.

Favorite Scene: The wild Mountain Girl's flailing disgust at the Wife Market she has been dragged to in a desperate attempt to get rid of her. Priceless.
August 17, 2014
Despite what all the critics and ppl may say let me tell u...most ppl, including myself are not goin to like this movie. First of all, I don't like this rascist director and the more ppl say this movie proves it's not true, is complete bullshit. Birth of a Nation is one of the most rasist movies ever made and in my opinion this was made to gloss over the criticism he had received from that movie, which doesn't make it right. The damage was done and as a director he should've known better than making inaccurate movies like that and how they can have serious influence on the general public. Anyways about this film of his, I know why the critics like this movie-it was ahead of its time as far as sequence, sets, costumes, filming technique, etc.. For anyone though born after 1950 that's not very exciting considered it's been seen all before. I found myself falling asleep to this long ass movie a couple times. However, I was very impressed particularly by the Babylonian sets, costumes, makeup, hair etc... In fact, a fantastic rendition of the Babylonian set is in Hollywood. Me n my fianc├ (C) were very impressed by the Hollywood structure long before knowing it was based off this film. I also liked most of the costumes and sets throughout, you can tell the director put a hell of a lot of movie into this. The film was very confusing at parts (outdated dialogue) with lengthy scenario descriptions reading across the screen every 2 minutes. I do appreciate the whole idea of a running theme across the span of 1000 of years with interconnecting issues that goes back and forth across the time. I haven't really seen this exact idea in any other movie and while it was very cool idea it was tiring to watch esp since the movie is like 3 frickin hours. I know directors nowadays like quantin Tarantino who prob were inspired by this. This movie can be credited for its artistic inspirations, but other than that I found it boring, long, and muddled.
August 6, 2014
In the days of revolutionized film-making its not that easy to be totally impressed by movies anymore. This movie however blew me away and I was surprised by its scale and storytelling.This movie is such an historic icon of film - it's hard to even rate. It is sometimes difficult to follow but the visual film is so incredible that it's like watching a dream of what the views and culture was like in the early 1900s more so than just the actual stories. The sets are beyond comparison - they are bigger than life and a sheer joy just to watch and be amazed that Griffith was able to create such productions almost 100 years ago. I can't even imagine what it was like to see such a film in 1916 - I imagine it was overwhelming by many and so inspiring for the creative minds at the time.
June 25, 2014
Better than Birth of a Nation, but still did not really grab my attention.
½ June 15, 2014
The sheer scope of this film is massive and awe inspiring, still by today's standards. Ambitious and soulful to a fault. A true piece of art far ahead of its time, and with thematic material that us primal to the human condition. The cradle of time continues to rock to this day.
April 26, 2014
probably a masterpiece in its time but being a silent film and the constant juggling of four stories that are worlds apart from one another makes for burdensome viewing
January 31, 2014
Intolerance is a huge influence for the epic genre for better and for worse - it is wildly uneven, but grand in scope, the four stories range from forgettable to memorable, from short to long, but the set design and costume design, not to mention editing are magnificent and ahead of its time and the effort to portray intolerance throughout the centuries of history must be respected, even if the word itself is shown in the intertitles too often. At the end of the day, Intolerance is Griffith's most ambitious project, an early, albeit flawed, silent masterpiece.