Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Invasion of the Body Snatchers Reviews

August 16, 2017
Weird! not as good as i thought it would be but not bad either. Not enough jeff goldblum
July 11, 2017
Much better than the original which I hate, this movie really provides good suspense and drama. Never was a fan of Donald Sutherlands, but he's okay in this movie. The rest of the cast does a good job too. Its rather slow by today's standards though. But I enjoyed it.
July 10, 2017
"Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" overcome its otherwise slow pace by being mysterious all the way through...it is creepy at points but nothing really more than that.
½ June 29, 2017
Eerie, a bit disturbing at times, and more in detail than the first. One of the best horror/sci-fi movie remakes of all-time that is nearly better than the original.
June 20, 2017
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you," goes the famous insight, and there's that part of this work that is unnerving to say the least. The other part, no less significant, is how no one will believe you, adding frustration to the pungent mix. It's done elegantly here, everyone taking their time, letting the tension build. One of the greats.
April 30, 2017
Quite liked this one
½ April 11, 2017
Excellent film that makes you wish there were more genre film remakes of its caliber.
March 25, 2017
In classic horror film fashion, before it was a convention, everybody thinks the protagonist is crazy; surrounding characters do not understand or believe Matthew Bennell (Donald Sutherland). There's this thing that we know from the onset of the movie that nobody else understands. It's like the crazy kids who declare Freddy Krueger is alive in their dreams. Leonard Nimoy is the best catalyst for this because if anybody should understand the bazaar and unnatural it is Spock. Jeff Goldblum seems to be playing a character that will be mirrored 15 years later in Jurassic Park, believing in the insanity, that something is wrong. Everyone from Sutherland to Nimoy is close to understanding what's going on, but they are just missing the mark. By not having Nimoy on our side, the audience is bound to feel unsafe, a terrific exercise in terror, suspending any sense of security the audience would have. Being made to look crazy is the scariest feeling that I can possibly imagine. I appreciate the relation of maddened husbands to infectious disease, or alien hypnotism.

I see an allegory to the feeling imperialism creates - nationalism, ethnic cleansing -- you slowly become the silent minority. We get a sense of how it feels to be on the run, society's target; a Holocaust Jew. To be paralyzed by society's stronghold this way. Like the Borg, all that's left is to assimilate.

What better plot device than a food inspector as the hero in a story about combating invading microbes?! He goes from pulling rat shit out of a French kitchen soup to swinging off rafters, tearing down a warehouse, playing undercover alien, etc. That's a protagonist!

The one hour mark of any movie is a particularly special point, whether it's the shark appearing in Jaws, Silva's reveal in Skyfall... In this film it's gathering acceptance from Leonard Nimoy, which instantly turns on us as we realize he is with the other possessed males. Is he an alien? Has he never not been Mirror Universe Spock all along? We learn this as he walks out of building 227, which is Sutherland's home.

There's such an air of mystery here, the flowers, their purpose, everything involved with this alien invasion. How is it happening, and why? Why is it happening this way and what are the men's role? There's a terrific level of conspiratorial guessing, it's exciting. The birth of Body Snatcher's must've inspired Peter Jackson's Uruk Hai growing from tree roots in Lord of the Rings, like butterflies emerging from cocoons - are their screeches used as sound bites for Black Riders?

Insanity conquers the Earth, and a helpless female is all that hopelessly remains. Not even our hero can survive. We know she'll be the only sane person left in a world gone mad. This film raises questions of infections, particularly the psychological, in which the values of one culture are diminished in favor of its opposite, and how it trickles down and invades the individual.
½ March 20, 2017
Love the gripping story and the eerie atmosphere. Donald Sutherland's screech at the end of the movie still echoes in my mind.lol
March 10, 2017
haha i can see this being a hit in 1978; it's not bad at all. but i did giggle at a few parts for it's ridiculousness, haha.
November 18, 2016
This is a really solid remake that though it's almost 40years old now, still holds-up really well. The cast is solid, led by Donald Sutherland and with support from Maud Adams, Jeff Goldblum and Leonard Nimoy. There's a palpable sense of paranoia throughout and it is just a really good sci-fi/horror film. Seek it out.
November 6, 2016
One of the best alien invasion movies ever made. It builds so effectively towards one of the most iconic moments in 70s horror cinema.
November 2, 2016
A good film, a very good film that I call Invasion of the booby snatchers. I saw it in a second run theater on Granville Street in Vancouver in 1979. It's the scream, deal and pointing the finger that's really scary. The invasion is total crap. Don't waste your time or money.
November 1, 2016
Grim and frightening remake of the 50's classic movie which I still consider scarier. The big plus of this remake is that it doesn't have a crowd-pleasing ending of "everything will be alright eventually".
October 31, 2016
My favorite version of this particular film.
½ October 27, 2016
"Get some sleep."
~tagline

San Francisco Health Department employee Elizabeth Driscoll (Brooke Adams) finds some strange flowers in the park and brings them home. By morning, her boyfriend has become strangely distant, so much so that she no longer believes it to be the same man. Her health inspector friend Matthew Bennell (Donald Sutherland) refers her to psychiatrist Leonard Nimoy, and with Jeff Goldblum and wife Nancy (Veronica Cartwright), they set out to uncover the truth behind what soon becomes an epidemic loss of emotion. Their quest for answers will lead to a choice: Conform, or die. And in this film, the difference between the two is negligible at best.

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS offers reviewers a unique challenge; we could scour galaxies and not find superlatives that do this film justice. Zeitlin's powerful score; Chapman's cinematography, which marries grit to precision; the flawless performances of the ensemble: Too much succeeds too well for so few words to adequately describe. Out of INVASION's many attributes, its effects impress the most. They remain as jaw-dropping as they were forty years ago, in the literal sense that I become a mouth-breather when I watch this film.

Appropriately for a story about the surrender of the individual to the collective, the sum impresses more than its laudable components. Unlike Siegel's film, which most agree critiques either communism or McCarthyism, take your pick, Kaufman's refuses to be reduced to allegory. Oh, critics can read much into the subtext, and they have. It would be impossible to look at INVASION's release date and not be reminded of Jonestown, and yes, there's something delicious about a movie's set in San Francisco during the '70s stripping away free expression in the ultimate perversion of "flower power." No, one cannot truly extricate art from its time, but INVASION feels timeless nonetheless. It needn't rely on anything as abstract as subtext. The "text" itself terrifies enough.

Kaufman's INVASION ranks alongside Cronenberg's FLY and Carpenter's THING as one of the few remakes whose quality justifies its existence. Buy it.
*******************************************************