Invitation to the Dance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Invitation to the Dance Reviews

May 13, 2015
just ok not really my cup o tea
½ December 13, 2014
i do appreciate all the effort the did to this movie, but it's a bit "difficult" to watch
½ August 30, 2012
A series of short skits with Kelly dancing. The first is Circus which is done in a minstrel/vaudeville style. Kelly plays a mime/clown, he acts on the stage and dances in the street with a group. There are only 3 actors listed in this part and they are on stage with him, there is no talking in this part only dancing. The dancing goes from Kelly's style to ballet with the other two actors. The story is about a guy, Kelly's clown, falling in love with the girl who is in love with the other guy. It shows how some people will do silly and dangerous to get the person we love, in this case the clown tries to do the high wire act to impress the girl, he falls and dies.
The second skit is titled Ring Around the Rosy. It involves 8 actors/dancers with Kelly and the other two from Circus. This is a more present day setting going from parties to clubs. Again no talking during the entire skit, just music. It is a series of performances of mainly couples dancing about love and love lost and temptation.
The third skit is titled Sinbad the Sailor and to be obvious it has a Middle Eastern theme. After the initial scenes Kelly and a boy go on a series of animated adventures the most visually striking is when he dances with 2 guards.
This is Kellys version of Fantasia and fits into the film as art movement of the early 50's. It is interesting to view as a history of film as it is very much like watching a play on film. The animation is not as stimulating compared with Disney but it is innovative none the less.
October 28, 2011
When watching a Gene Kelly musical one could have the feeling that the musical numbers were interrupted by the story, not the other way round. Here Kelly finds a project with a scope big enough to fit his whole ego, finally doing away with all the story (in the way of words, at least) and leaving us with all the dancing. This criminaly unseen impressionistic film opens quite a window into the imagination of one of Old Hollywood's most prolific artists - and not quite unlike "Singin' in the Rain", he made a movie looking at the core of what it was about to make an MGM musical: it was about being artsy, it was about being kitschy, about working with archetypes and especially about wearing thights and trying to melt icebergs by smiling at the camera.
March 22, 2009
Also including Belita, not listed.
½ March 24, 2008
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
January 21, 2008
i love the fact not a single word is spoken throughout but you dont miss that its not there
January 13, 2008
All time classic Gene Kelly dancing!
½ November 22, 2007
Man, any time one gets to see Gene Kelly dancing with cartoons, like in Anchors Aweigh, that's a good movie
September 25, 2007
I absolutely ADORE Gene Kelly. Each piece is enchanting in it's own right. My favorite is the clown piece. Exquisite!
July 20, 2007
I love this movie! It was considered a failure and was OBVIOUSLY underrated.
July 3, 2007
Great movie! Loved it!
June 23, 2007
want to see it if it has gene kelley!!!
June 11, 2007
Gene Kelly woot woot! :-)
June 6, 2007
completely underrated by critics. He deserved far more recognition for his outstanding talent in this film.
June 5, 2007
I have no idea where to find this, but I really want to see it.
½ May 23, 2007
I rate this a five because the Sinbad the Sailor tap routine that GENE did with the swordsmen was excellent!!
½ March 1, 2007
Pittsburgh's Gene Kelly takes dance to new places.
December 19, 2006
another classic Love it
December 11, 2006
i would like to see this