The Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Island Reviews

½ August 9, 2016
This is one of those movies I loved when I was a kid. It really deserves to be rereleased again. Definitely worth a watch.
April 21, 2016
The Island (1980) ??
Ludicrous thriller involving Caine's search for his son on a island compiled of ancient pirates! Brain-dead fare has lots of explicit gore . . . for those who like that sort of thing.
½ March 30, 2015
From the period of Caine's career where he seemed to say yes to anything, especially if it was set in an exotic local. From the man who wrote Jaws, and producers who made it, there are some interesting ideas buried in here but the execution and direction are poor.
September 30, 2014
Guilty Pleasures time .
From the Producing Team that bought you Jaws comes this bizzare and funny Movie.
Ok so compared to Jaws this film is a bit silly but there is plenty to keep you watching as Caine battles Pirates.
This of course was the period when Caine was doing it for the money rather than the art.
But trust me when you have a film where David Warner plays the leader of a band of demented pirates who try to brainwash Caine's son and a very funny storming of a yacht by the pirate band you wonder if director Michael Richie saw the script realised it was tosh and went all out to put his tongue in his cheek.
The film is of course very bad but not in a Michael Bay stupid way ,the silliness of it all makes it all the more fun.
March 15, 2014
Saw this at a drive-in when I was 13. Those were the days.
January 15, 2014
Another To-Watch Pile selection that I checked out in advance of listening to a podcast review. I think I might've liked this a tad more had it maintained the supernatural feel of the first attack, but knowing that it's a human force that seafarers are up against sort of demystified things a bit.

½ January 3, 2014
The Island caught my eye due to the presence of Michael Caine and the fact that it was one of the first films to be nominated for the Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actor and Worst Director.

Based on a Peter Benchley novel who was the author of Jaws, The Island similarly explores the darkness of the deep and opens with characters being killed while stuck out at sea, so its rather nostalgic. If this was intended to mimick the style of Jaws, then bravo Michael Ritchie. I picked up on that.
But after an excessive period of waiting with little stimulation and just a lot of crappy dull dynamics, I stood up, looked at the TV screen and said "This is sh*t".
Little goes on in The Island, and what does is generic and dull. Its all been done before in much better films, not atrocities that waste the talents of Michael Caine with some of Michael Ritchie's most inferior direction.
The Island had a cool DVD Cover and decent set up premise, but its lacking in originality, thrills and practically any good quality with the exception of Michael Caine's presence.
The script is also bland and full of excessive jokes about the ex wife and mother of the two main characters which are never funny and fall flat, just as the plot and the rest of the film does.
And for an adaptation of a Peter Benchely novel, I don't know if the book or just the film is crap but somebody is seriously to blame for this boring and overly dull atrocity which wastes out time like it wastes Michael Caine's talents and an R18+ Rating for some reason.
December 11, 2013
After a jumbled and woefully written opening, Ritchie's pirate thriller finds its feet when it arrives on the titular location. From there, some well staged, almost tongue in cheek set pieces involving pirate raids on various ships, alongside a Morricone score that goes from Williams-like whimsical to tense and unnerving, and decent performances from its adequate cast, especially the wacky & surreal mix of mad pirates, make for a fine time.
November 9, 2013
Over the years, I keep trying to find SOMEONE who has it (Block Buster, now Netflix) and have not found it....until now. I saw it when it came out and was taken by it. It really grabbed me that a low tech group of pirates could accomplish with steatlth what they did. I really loked it. Dean Olson
½ October 21, 2013
The pirates in The Island are not particularly scary or menacing, and the plot is too inconsistent and silly.
September 23, 2013
Great example of Michael Caine angle on life: "take all jobs". Maybe some are not worth the effort.
August 20, 2013
Book was way better. Read this story, don't watch it.
June 14, 2013
Like Lost and the beach rolled into one
June 7, 2013
Probably one of Michael Caine's worst movies, if not his worst..

Could have been an interesting and gritty movie, but some of the direction is plain bizarre. Basic plot was good, and the initial set-up was quite gritty, however, from a point it becomes rather frivolous. One moment the pirates are the bad guys, killing people in cold blood, next moment we're almost expected to like them and sympathise with them. From that point, every time the pirates attack a ship, a rather jaunty soundtrack is playing in the background, as if this is a kid's movie, or a comedy! But then they go and kill people, rather graphically.

Plot does become rather random towards the end, too.

Caine's performance is OK, especially considering what little he had to work with. Some of the pirates are a bit over-the-top though.
½ May 18, 2013
Pretty dated & dodgy now! Maybe not so much in 1980, but it's quite unrealistic that a bunch of 'pirates' could live in the Caribbean unmolested! Not very gory or violent, until the end, to justify a R-rating either, and not terribly scary to be a horror/thriller or camp enough to be funny. Michael Caine doesn't really have too much to do either, even though the film's about 25min too long.
May 15, 2013
Strange happenings in the Caribbean--Offbeat fun as Caine mutinies!!
February 24, 2013
I loved this movie when I was a kid.
½ January 15, 2013
Not to be confused by the piece of shit directed by Michael Bay.
½ December 30, 2012
It might have been ok as a comedy, but as a serious thriller, it's rather terrible. The one redeeming feature is that at least it isn't boring.