Jack and the Beanstalk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack and the Beanstalk Reviews

October 10, 2015
It's incredibly stupid. But for some reason, I'm giving it a fresh rating.
½ June 10, 2013
A clever and funny spoof of the Wizard of Oz. Takes the same transition from black and white to color. True it isn't perfect, still you got to admire the duo's choice in making this film. A&C are as always the best, funny gags, interesting plot points, and a great cast makes it all worth while.
April 14, 2013
The tale of Jack and the Beanstalk told through the comedic genius of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. Costello gets a babysitting job and while telling the fable to his charge, falls asleep and dreams that he is Jack. The movie is pretty faithful to the fable. Abbott plays a shady butcher who buys the family cow from Jack for a few magic beans. Costello/Jack plants them and the next day he climbs the beanstalk to retrieve the golden goose from the Giant. Along the way he encounters the Prince and Princess who were imprisoned by the Giant and the cast engages in a number of musical comedy numbers. There are also the typical Abbott and Costello slapstick routines.

People who are familiar with the other Abbott and Costello movies and their television show will find this movie familiar. While it is not their best work -- this does not come close to some of their Abbott and Costello Meet movies -- unless you are not a fan of slapstick comedy, you will not be disappointed.
½ February 20, 2013
Jack and the Beanstalk a rare treat--Vintage Abbott and Costello!!
½ December 28, 2012
one of 2 comedies this kid's pic for WB.
April 19, 2012
It may not be the best of the Abbott and Costello movies, or out of movies in general, but it's pretty much my favorite film. I like the main theme that goes though the movie, "Have courage. Fear nothing when you're in the right!"
March 23, 2012
An absolutely hilarious and kid friendly version of the timeless tale.
February 5, 2012
An absolutely hilarious and kid friendly version of the timeless tale.
½ December 7, 2011
based on the fairy tales which in another starring bud abbott and lou costello in public domain movie with "jack and the beanstalk" version (one with costello became named jack of his role) and there both black and white / color it like movie "the wizard of oz" (1939). there also funniest performance by bud abbott and lou costello with buddy baer as the giant from the beanstalk scene. i like one of rest of the whole movie except i like one with sword fight and chasing with the giant scene and one thing that my least favorite with make-up cow that very disgusting one. "africa screams" (1949) is so much better funny movie with bud abbott and lou costello than this one.
February 7, 2011
Weird, but not in a good way. I guess I'm just not a fan of Abbott and Costello humor.
October 25, 2010
Jack And The Beanstalk is one of many versions of this classic fairy tale. It may not be Abbot and Costello's best film, but its still an entertaining movie. There are some good parts and some funny parts and some good songs in this movie as well. Overall, this is a funny, entertaining, and musical film for all lovers of comedy.
½ January 24, 2010
One of their better efforts.
½ November 19, 2009
A witty whimsical Abbott and Costello take on the classic tale!
October 3, 2009
Probably my least favorite of their feature films. There are some good parts. There are some funny parts but these two guys are wasted on this film. I had to give it 60% because it was Abbott and Costello but it is not something I watch often even though I own a copy of it.
September 3, 2009
Some laughs, but mostly a rather dull Abbott & Costello moment. The lighting was atrocious (way too light/pale, it was hard on the eyes).

Abbott and Costello Double Feature - Africa Screams/ Jack and the Beanstalk (1949)

Genre:Comedies
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Africa Screams: 3/5

Jack and the Beanstalk: 2/5

Average for the double feature: 2.5/5

Two Additional Episodes that came with the DVD:
Vacation: 5/5 (hilarious)
Drug Store: 4/5 (funny)

So let's give the DVD, oh, say one more star (one for each good episode).

OVERALL for the DVD: 3.5/5
July 5, 2009
I have the collection of these two and I watch them often
½ March 28, 2009
Great fun. Sit the kids down for this one.
½ February 28, 2009
Abbott and Costello play two out of work guys who take on a babysitting gig where one of the children they are sitting reads Jack and the Beanstalk to one of them.
Little children will probably find this movie entertaining and there is some funny stuff in it although nothing overly memorable.
½ February 26, 2009
While I love the Abbott and Costello movies, this one seems sort of bland. I don't know why it doesn't sit well with me, but its not among their best.