Jesus Christ Superstar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jesus Christ Superstar Reviews

August 24, 2014
Why was this made? Horrible acting.
June 30, 2014
very good songs but honestly, it could wait for at least 10 years to become a better movie
½ April 17, 2014
One of the few biblical movies that is easy to sit through. This film does what many others don't dare to do: makes the story of Jesus Christ fun.
½ February 26, 2014
Jesus Christ Superstar is an exciting and fun view of the bible that is filled with a good cast and catchy songs. Props for creating a Judas who is somewhat sympathetic. The only thing that's a flaw is the anachronisms of the modern vision seem a bit incosistent, as it''s modern weapons, but old housing.
February 26, 2014
love this musical! it is a must have in your collection if you love musicals so you can watch over and over.
February 19, 2014
Excellent musical film Jesus of Nazareth, Judas and Mary Magdalene as protagonists figures presented with a very unique and interesting view from the theological point of view, among others. By the mouth of Judas, Jesus is likewise admired and criticized. By Mary Magdalene, Jesus is sensually loved and humanized. If not the best, the most unique of all musical ever shot. To see what other movie forty lashes used to make music.
January 30, 2014
Though a bit goofy at times, an overall decent film version of an excellent musical.
December 26, 2013
The real star in this movie is the music.
December 26, 2013
Well acted and incredibly well sung, this movie is one of my all time favourites. I'm not a Christian. Still Jesus Christ Superstar has had a profound influence on my life, since I first saw it, age three.
½ December 4, 2013
This Jesus is wimpy unlike the one in the first movie.
½ November 4, 2013
The ending was predictable.
October 29, 2013
A perfect representation of the mentality, questioning, look and simplicity of the 70s. You can't mention the 70s without Jesus Christ Superstar.
October 6, 2013
The music is fantastic but the acting not so much. I'd rather just listen to the CD.
October 3, 2013
Although it is one of the strangest musicals I have seen, I quite enjoyed the oddities such as mixing modern elements with the time of Christ and the rock and roll feel to the music, all while still respecting the source. The film also features some truly outstanding vocal talent with special mention to Carl Anderson as Judas. That man has one of the best voices I have ever heard and can truly sing.
September 3, 2013
Norman Jewison's screen adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice's immensely popular, enduring and controversial 1971 Broadway musical sticks close to its source material and generally carries the gusto that one would expect from a stage production. With most of the principle players having contributed to the story on the boards, it's little surprise that the song and dance numbers are pretty much flawless here.

Jewison handles the friendship and conflict between Jesus (Ted Neeley) and Judas (Carl Anderson) with care, Yvonne Elliman is engaging as Mary Magdalene and Josh Mostel embodies King Herod quite nicely (though his song 'Try It and See' lacks the energy that it demands).

Visually, this is very much a product of its time, but its themes and the power of its story will continue to resonate. An overall competent and absorbing film.
September 1, 2013
The first musical visualized i ever saw, and i was not disappointed
August 17, 2013
I love this movie and REALLY love the music! (Of course, you must be quite open minded and remember the time period it was made.) I grew up watching musicals and rock operas and this is one of my favorite. I don't mind the unusual natural in which it is presented. I just love it!!!
August 1, 2013
Great songs, well sung by fantastic performers. See Les Mis? See what happens when you get singers?
July 10, 2013
Best Rock Opera to date......From the 70's
½ June 26, 2013
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. Looking at it as a purely secular & artistic interpretation of the life of Christ, it's quite brilliantly done.