Johnny Belinda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Johnny Belinda Reviews

½ April 15, 2016
A good drama incorporating a deaf woman and her rights as an individual.
½ November 13, 2015
Barely watchable, and a bit too depressing and disturbing. I'm having a hard time understanding what people like about it. (First and only viewing - 8/8/2015)
February 15, 2015
One of the very,very best movies of all-time!
½ December 21, 2014
This movie took me by surprise with how it transpired. I was not expecting all the events. The way the doctor approached the need of education for the young girl was refreshing. I had always heard for so long how in the past those with disabilities were maltreated and without a future. I am glad some parts were progressive. The acting was superb! I felt every emotion and frustration in the film from the actors and cried like a baby in the end. Hmmm, I think people of today should watch this movie to learn lessons that will never change no matter how progressive we are!
½ September 22, 2014
Setting in a village, a country girl is molested by a jerk who murdered her father. She was then unjustly prosecuted by the villagers for protecting herself and his son. But a kindhearted hero comes to rescue and the two led a happy life ever after. Isn't it a clichéd story? But with the brilliant Jane Wyman, the story becomes involving and extraordinary. Playing a deaf-mute, Jane Wyman mastered the role of Belinda with her innocent and tender eyesight and silent language to deliver a simple mankind, if not instinct. The remaining cast members, including Lew Ayres, Charles Bickford and Agnes Moorehead gave their best to deliver this optimistic tragedy to the audience affectionately.
September 19, 2014
Jane Wyman's Best Actress Oscar acceptance speech is reportedly the shortest on record: "I won this award by keeping my mouth shut and I think I'll do it again."
November 15, 2013
Wyman is quite convincing as a deaf-mute girl who is forced to deal with a family that reacts violently to her condition.
November 2, 2013
There is melodrama aplenty in this offering about a young doctor who arrives in Nova Scotia and befriends a deaf mute girl and her family.
½ September 28, 2013
Great performance by Wyman. I think these days this would have been made into a terrible, harsh movie but 60 years ago it made for a careful tender story where the goodness in people triumphs.
April 11, 2013
good performance won her an oscar but the character seems like such a victum this movie has become a lightening rod for deaf people because she seems to learn sign language immediately and can even read lips on a character with their back turned to her well i guess they did the best they could in 1948.
February 3, 2013
Nominated for a massive 12 Oscars and the winner of just one, by the future ex-wife of the future President Reagan!
October 1, 2012
Great performance by Wyman.
May 20, 2012
It's so good for so long that it's a shame it slips into a courtroom scenario to tie the whole thing up.
April 7, 2012
While the ending to "Johnny, Belinda" is surprisingly understanding and Jane Wyman's star making and Oscar winning performance is lovely, it's still a pretty dumb movie. The way deafness is handled in the picture is quite silly, and the events (rape and murder and misunderstanding in Canada) comes out a wash. See this film for the acting and a portrait on how misunderstood conditions were handled on screen back in the 40s.
½ March 21, 2012
Jane Wyman is very good here, though it's rather melodramatic at times. Still, the acting holds up overall.
½ January 13, 2012
This is the best kind of Oscar bait. From the synopsis, you can tell it's the kind of movie made to get the attention from the Academy. But when I say that it's the best kind of Oscar bait I mean that it is worth all the award nominations it got especially when it comes to Jane Wyman's superb performance as a deaf-mute unable to communicate others until a new doctor in town helps her to learn sign language. It's the kind of story that could have been turned into something ordinary but instead we get something that is outstanding and timeless in every way from the acting, directing, writing, and even in the music. It is one of Max Steiner's best post-Casablanca scores. But there isn't enough that can be said about Jane Wyman's extraordinary performance; it's one of the best performances from a screen actress. Highly recommended viewing. 9/10
½ August 18, 2011
"Johnny Belinda" is one of the best dramas of the '40's. Belinda (Wyman) is a deaf-mute living in Nova Scotia with her kind hearted father and aunt (Moorehead). Belinda is a positive person for what she has to endure, and as soon as Dr. Robert (Ayres) comes in, her life gets even better when she learns sign language. But just as things are going great, a bully (McNally) rapes her, and she becomes pregnant. Everybody shuns Belinda, her family, and Robert for having a child out of wedlock, and she can't even fend for herself. But things take an even worse turn when Belinda and Robert plan to movie into the country. "Johnny Belinda" was (obviously) one of the many good films for 1948 (to name a few: "Joan of Arc", "I Remember Mama", "Hamlet") and also one of the most nominated, and all of the nods they got they truly deserved. The movie didn't win anything, except a Best Actress prize for Jane Wyman, who gives one of the most unique performances. Though I still think Olivia de Havilland should have gotten the Oscar for "The Snake Pit", I still think Wyman still does a very very good job in her role. It seems like to get an Oscar as an actor, you have to be overly-dramatic and you have to cry, but Wyman gives a very subtle performance as Belinda and proves that you can still be powerful even if you can't speak. And the other actors do really live up to her too. "Johnny Belinda" is a very good movie that I really think is worth watching. Recommended.
August 4, 2011
Johnny Belinda is an amazing film. It is about a doctor's to tutor a deaf/mute woman but it gets undermined when she is raped. Jane Wyman and Lew Ayres give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written and touching. Jean Negulesco did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the drama. Johnny Belinda is a must see.
July 28, 2011
The plot is good enough to be interesting.