Journey to the Center of the Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Journey to the Center of the Earth Reviews

February 3, 2014
A good Disney Adventure based on Jules Verne tale.. Old but still a classic and enjoyable for every age, with good results.
Kids liked it a lot.
½ January 30, 2014
A classic...and *ah --- Pat Boone!
½ January 8, 2014
you couldnt get me to watch this movie. heil satan
January 2, 2014
Once you can get past some tacky Hollywood sets & some interesting animals I feel you have quite a groundbreaking Sci-Fi fantasy for its time.

This is much better in the way of character & story than it's re-telling in 2008 with Brendan Fraser.

The story itself is complete fiction but film is one big adventure that remains gripping throughout. They did a lot of this film in simple & effective ways that just worked.

One of the better Sci-Fi films from the 1950's that is worth revisiting. A true classic....
January 2, 2014
good tale but the sets and EFX are really dated
December 16, 2013
enjoyable sci-fi :)
November 25, 2013
It changes some details from Verne's novel, but overall it is a successful interpretation.
July 9, 2013
Silly, cheezy, and not exactly true to the novel. Mason gave a good performance though, and the sets and effects were pretty good. Well done for the 50's.
June 2, 2013
You want something to watch for an entire lazy afternoon? well I highly suggest this quirky adventure which is epic in both scale and length. Jules Verne was probably the best fantasy writer to come along, his stories are the stuff of legend and this film is probably the best adaptation of this particular work.

At just over two hours long the film is in depth with detail that's for sure, maybe too much. It takes absolutely ages for the team to actually get on with the expedition, there is tonnes of back story and plot which leads up to the main event. Now some of this is of course required, such as why they are going down into the Earth, the team members, the dastardly men who are clearly not as good willed as the heroes etc...

I have to admit to getting rather bored waiting for this film to get into gear. The film is in two acts almost really, the first act being a whole load of spiel leading up to the crux of the film, the second act being the actual fun part deep inside the Earth. If it wasn't for the eloquent dulcet tones of James Mason I may have given up.

Yep the cast is pretty good, not epically good but a unique selection of character actors that are good. Mason of course is the big draw here and he doesn't let you down, his performance is as solid as an oak tree. I really enjoyed his bold, loud, chauvinistic character and the way he belittles everyone around him as if they were a fool. The whole approach isn't exactly PC but undeniably fun to watch as he moans and groans about letting a woman come on the expedition.

Arlene Dahl is surprisingly attractive in this, didn't really expect that, and I liked her retorts as she goes head to head with Mason's character, you just know they will fall in love awww. Anyone know Dolph Lundgren was in this? I jest of course but Peter Ronson doesn't half look like a young early version of Lundgren, acting is about on par too hehe. Look out for Batman's butler 'Alfred' (Alan Napier) in a small role and of course the sinister looking Thayer David is brilliant as the somewhat nasty 'Count Saknussem' (terrific name), but was he really a bad guy or misunderstood?.

As for the actual adventure within the Earth...its kinda OK, but lacks excitement if you ask me. Now don't get me wrong its a fun varied adventure but you can't help but wish for more big lizards (various types) and some sea monster action. What we get are real iguanas that have been painted up and then blue screened/superimposed with the live action. The effect is pretty sweet really and adds a unique look, clever idea really but I'm still not sure if stop motion may have been a better choice?.

On reflection I must admit to liking the use of real creatures for the monster threat, it does work nicely, I just wish there were more monster threats in the film. The underground sea crossing was begging for some monster action but alas! it still looks good, nice matte painting work. The issue I have with this film is the fact they had gone with more dialog over action, too much action can also be bad of course but this film really needs a boost in places. The finale builds up to it but feels very anti climatic, when they find [i]Atlantis[/i] surely there could of been something lurking.

Oh and that's the other issue, this film has had many alterations from the original story. Not much of a surprise but the original book had sea monsters damn it!. I guess technology limitations come into play but that doesn't excuse the vast amount of other changes eh.

There is a lot of things I like about this film but a lot I don't like, mainly it being too long with too much exposition. Still can't deny the grandiose scope of the film at every turn, fantasy buffs will enjoy I'm sure. Personally I love the quaintness of it all, the way everybody is dressed, everyone is well spoken, they bring a duck along with them on the adventure etc...the era it was made in compliments the story so well.
April 29, 2013
A group of scientists attempt to reach the earth's core. Based on the famous Jules Verne novel, this film does not aim to be the most scientifically correct film, but it aims to be entertaining and it certainly still is spectacular with its old fashioned special effects that still look stunning. James Mason is great as usual. Perhaps the start may be a little slow, but once it gets started, the pace is quite gripping, as the marvels of the centre of the Earth begin to be revealed.
March 21, 2013
Caught this one on the TCM Cruise, and while I'm not the biggest fantasy person, this was a very watchable little adventure yarn, though it might be a little bloated along the middle portion for my tastes.

Well worth a look and something I'm happy to have finally marked of my unseen list.
January 31, 2013
This is a tricky movie to breakdown. The concept and imagination of the Jules Verne story are superb and this movie gets off to a great start. It sets the table with good characters and puts in the time to build an understanding of the mission and establish the personalities of each of the party's members. Unexpectedly the move really falls apart during the journey, when it matters most. The visuals at the earlier portion of the expedition are pretty decent but things go south as the movie progresses. By the later scenes the lack of special effects it is just too goofy to overlook today. The filmmakers lost control of what they could and could not effectively represent with their means. Sadly the climax is unsatisfying and plot is completely rushed, rather abruptly, to a finish. Part of me wants this movie to be remade, but the other part of me is not so sure. A remake would offer special effects could deliver the visual splendor and sense of awe that the story intended. Yet, there is another side of me that doubts a remake would do such a good job laying the groundwork and focus on building characters so well.
January 13, 2013
Based on one of the most popular books of Jules Verne. Has not aged so well, however.
½ December 14, 2012
loved it, it's still the best version, I want it on DVD, I thought this version was better than the 2008 remake starring Brendan Fraser, it was an good movie, It starred Pat Boone, Jason Mason and Arlene Dahl
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!
½ December 6, 2012
While it may be a bit silly towards the end, the grimy setting provides excellent atmosphere throughout the film. A wonderful score accompanies the movie with harp and the occasional harmonica.
November 19, 2012
This movie was accurate to the book, which made this movie feel so much longer than 2 hours. It felt almost flat and I felt like it could have included more of the scene where the main character gets lost in the dark tunnels. This was the perfect oppotunity for a climactic scene in the movie and it fell short.
November 5, 2012
I've always enjoyed this film ever since I was a kid, and I still enjoy it thoroughly. This may be a cheesy and over-the-top adventure film, but it is an immensely enjoyable film with plenty of action, solid acting, and even some bits of humor for good measure. I haven't seen the remake, but for now, I think I'll stick to the badass 1959 version because it is a superb adventure film that holds up extremely well.
September 20, 2012
Jól átgondolt, nagy volumen 1/4 feldogozása ez Verne Gyula klasszikus műv (C)nek. B' ötven (C)v távlatából is remek családi film, (C)s felejthetetlen utazás az örök álmodozók számára.
½ August 24, 2012
Based on a Jules Verne story this late 50's film is all about a Disney style adventure in a land based more on imagination than science. While the voice of James Mason can carry most any film in perhaps one of the most misguided casting decisions ever there is Pat Boone, a 50's teen idol who contributes an odd couple of musical scenes with little else. Mason is the lead scientist of the time, circa late 1800's, who discovers a path to the center of the planet. His group includes Boone as an aspiring apprentice, an Icelandic stud, the wife of his dead rival, and Gertrude the duck. It maintains the theme of late twenty century belief that women should stay in the house and not put themselves in danger or any other activity. Along the way we find out that Gertrude the duck is the smartest of the group. The effect of using lizards as dinosaurs is amusing and ultimately unnecessary. A clumsy attempt of a story, based on science, that was at least 60 years old when it was made making it absurd in its attempt at storytelling.