Kid Galahad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kid Galahad Reviews

May 19, 2013
never missed an Elvis film no matter what it was like
December 20, 2012
I can't stand Elvis Presley...I wouldn't be able to sit through one second of this.
October 27, 2011
Otto Danzig: Here's $500 to help you get lost. They'll be somebody else in Galahad's corner. Someone who'll know what to do. Someone who'll make sure that he bleeds. That'll open up the cuts instead of closing them. Any bright ideas?

Lew Nyack: Yeah, I got a bright idea. It's what you can do with this $500.

[Lew throws the $500 cash back at Otto]
May 19, 2011
I thought before I watch "Kid Galahad" that I would not like it. But it was not that bad.
April 7, 2011
n.are nici o treaba cu actoria
macar dak ar fi cantat mai mult
½ November 3, 2010
it was alright, i know it's a movie but i did feel bad eachtime Elvis was recieving a punch...otherwise same old plot which had followed him toward a lot of his movies
½ October 23, 2010
Mildly entertaining slow paced film about a come from nowhere champion boxer. While Elvis doesn't sing near as much in this one as so many other films, its a relief.

Seeing Elvis take a punch dozens of time in his early boxing debut is hard to take. He gets better as the film goes on, thankfully. Elvis comes home after being discharged fromt he army to return home broke at a sleepy mountain resort town of Cream Valley.

While his knack for fixing cars is astounding, his hometown doesn't need him as a mechanic. Lucky for him his first employer runs a boxing camp and a resort. Oscar winner Gig Young (They Shoot Horses Don't They) plays the angry boxing promotor and normally tough guy Charles Bronson (Dirty Dozen, The Mechanic, Mr. Majestic) plays Elvis' traier.

Watching Gig Young get angry at varions times in this film is so out of character. Elvis the boxer hangs around long enough to want to marry his daughter, which sends Gig through the roof.

Elvis Presley, well what more can we say about singers who make movies? It's happened so many times before and since that singers normally just can't act, except for Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and maybe a few others. But to the credit of this lightweight drama Elvis isn't asked to sing dozens of no hit songs through the film.

#37 on the list of the top-grossing movies of 1962.

Directed by Phil Karlson
Produced by David Weisbart
Written by Francis Wallace (story)

Starring
Elvis Presley (Kid Galahad)
Lola Albright
Gig Young (boxing promotor)
Joan Blackman
Charles Bronson (boxing trainer)

Music by Jeff Alexander
Cinematography Burnett Guffey
Editing by Stuart Gilmore
Studio The Mirisch Company
Distributed by United Artists
Release date(s) August 11, 1962
Running time 95 min.
June 27, 2010
Elvis in one of his best performances in this action-musical, where Elvis is an undefeated boxer and in the last fight is an all out slugfest, and also great performance by Charles Bronson in a movie I never thought he would do.
March 2, 2010
any elvis presley movie i'll wacth
flixsterman
½ December 3, 2009
Formulaic and completely predictable. Would have been nice to see Elvis get a substantial role in a substantial film once in a while. What a waste.
June 26, 2009
Had some more notable actors than I was used to seeing in an Elvis movie. The story wasn't that original but at least it was funny.
½ April 26, 2009
Yeeeah, weren't Elvis's movies great?? The Colonel sure knew how to pick 'em.
February 12, 2009
One of my fave Elvis movies...and I think it was my first Elvis movie too.
January 25, 2009
As long as you realize that Elvis movies are just a vehicle to put his singing butt on TV, you can enjoy the movie no matter how corny the story is.
January 1, 2009
I love Elvis movies. This creates a whole new setting with a pretty good story. Its fun to just enjoy these movies.
January 1, 2009
Elvis movie key statistics: Elvis Movies I've Seen (11). My rating (6 out of 10; well above average). Songs (7; average). Jobs, either former, current or aspirational (5; slightly above average). Love interests (1; well below average).
December 16, 2008
good one from the King
½ July 26, 2008
yeah elvis is the star!
½ July 4, 2008
I watched this and i use to watch ELVIS when i was a teenager
June 8, 2008
The King in the Ring! Forgettable songs, forgettable story, but the King manages to even make this remake mildly interesting.