The King and I Reviews

• Jul 12, 2019

Loved the music and splendor

Loved the music and splendor

• Feb 01, 2019

The best, GREATEST musical romance movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: Deborah Kerr as Anna Leonowens! Plus 2 of the best movie songs ever sung: Getting to Know You and Shall We Dance?! And the best movie quote ever spoken: "Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera."

• Feb 25, 2018

The film's portrayal of the people in Siam might be racist and too outdated for this generation, but thanks to a number of great music scores and costume designs; "The King and I" outweighs its negatives by providing us with a great story that reminds us that every person has a heart, even when they believe they don't. Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr were fantastic together. They spark chemistry every single they feud on screen. Definitely a worthy watch if you enjoy music numbers.

• Jan 27, 2018

A childhood movie of mine, I love this timeless classic because it entails the beauty of romance back then without anything explicit. Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner remain as one of the pair of actors who can pull off "Shall We Dance" so beautifully.

• Dec 04, 2017

There are some remarkable things going on in The King and I. For one, the songs are extremely catchy tunes that will get stuck in your head even after the very first time you watch it. The other big asset that The King and I delivers is that amazing ballet. Ordinarily, I might be annoyed by a film taking such a sharp detour in the story for a long chunk of time, but it thematically fits perfectly into the story. Every time the music starts I am ready to fall in love with this movie. It’s hard for me to answer why I don’t absolutely adore The King and I as a whole. The two leads are also amazing, and the kids are adorable, so it has all the pieces that you’d need to make a good movie for me. I think perhaps I am just thrown by the realities of the life that this king is actually living, and the way they try to redeem him as a character. I recognize there are some cultural differences that come into play, but I think the movie does a bit too much to sugarcoat it and I can’t stop thinking about what’s really going on. The conclusion is rushed, and does not feel earned, or even like a logical result based on the precedent set earlier in the film. Even though there are some significant plot elements that don’t quite work for me, the positives do outweigh the negatives. I could listen to the soundtrack of The King and I endlessly and it would put a smile on my face, and sometimes that’s all you need from a musical.

• Oct 21, 2017

Perhaps the best of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals adapted for the screen, a superb, faithful rendering of the stage play; Yul Brynner won an Oscar for his iconic portrayal of the King, and Deborah Kerr (Oscar nominee) matches his performance at every turn. The wonderful score includes "Hello Young Lovers," "Getting to Know You," "Something Wonderful," and "Shall We Dance?" and includes Jerome Robbins' original choreography as an added bonus.

• Aug 27, 2017

Yul Brynner is magnificent. The costumes, music, story - a fantastic movie musical.

• Jul 07, 2017

A real big, steaming pile of crap. There are so many things wrong with this movie. First, discount Julie Andrews. Secondly, 6 non-tuneful songs spread unevenly over an extremely overlong run time. Thirdly, the plot. What the hell were Rodgers and Hammerstein thinking? The entire plot is a schoolteacher not liking the King because she was promised a house connected to the palace, but she is to live inside the palace. In addition, she does not like him because he is incredibly sexist and misogynistic, for good reason. Then she suddenly warms up to him without explanation, then she hates him again, then (SPOILER) starts to like him again when he's dying. She also wants to go back to England for the entire movie, then decides to stay in the last 5 minutes. It's also incredibly racist. I'd rather watch Carousel again, that at least has some visionary dances and somewhat tuneful songs. This is a never ending barrage of sexism, non-tuneful songs spread unevenly throughout and racism. Are the only good Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals really only Oklahoma! and The Sound of Music? God, I hope South Pacific is at least marginally good. Look, I can't be making this up. The only musicals I've given bad reviews to are dancer in the dark and carousel. Avoid this one like the plague

• Dec 10, 2016

Beautiful film! Brynner performance was incredible. A definite must watch!!

Beautiful film! Brynner performance was incredible. A definite must watch!!

• Nov 03, 2016

A casting choice like Yul Brenner playing the King of Siam would not be okay in today's world, and for good reason....but he's so damn good as King Mongkut. And I just love Deborah Kerr. I either really like Musicals or I don't, but I enjoyed this one.